Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

One of the club's previous statements said the Well Society would be conducting a survey to collect members' views on potential reconstruction. Did anything happen with this?

Glad you asked that as I'd been wondering the same thing but didn't really want to be that guy.

The statement was 20th April:

"The Well Society will shortly conduct their own consultation with members to help us shape our thoughts on what reconstruction should look like from the standpoint of our supporters as owners of our club."

Link

I mean I trust Burrows and McMahon implicitly in terms of governance but yeah I also have thoughts on reconstruction. So if they were planning on asking I'd have been happy to share them.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I remember the last-time we signed a goalkeeper who seemed to be maligned by the supporters of the clubs he had played for, I remember thinking "he's played 300 odd top flight games, can he really be that bad?" and that goalkeeper turned out to be no other than..... Craig Samson.

Theoretically though, it makes sense that when Trevor Carson hasn't played since November 2018, it would be a big risk not to have experienced backup. I know Morrison has experience from Cowdenbeath and Albion Rovers, but it's a tricky one to rely on him as number two.

Hopefully, Carson stays fit and Fox is on buttons that doesn't affect our pursuit of a winger or two much.

Aye. I'd been getting Samson vibes from this as well.

The difference is as it stands we only have two 'keepers contracted Carson who's been out since 2018 and Matty Connelly who's 17. Morrison's been offered a new deal but it'd be a risk to go into a season with a 22 year old who's got lower league experience but has never played a first team game for us as our only back-up.

In the end Samson didn't make his debut until almost 8 months after he signed. He arrived on 15th September and his debut was the 1-0 win against Hearts at Fir Park on 23rd April.  He made two appearances in total that season - which was weird given he left Killie because he wanted first team football but entirely befitted his squad role of "another goalkeeper who isn't Dan Twardzik".

McGhee deciding to replace Ripley with him and making Samson #1 seemingly just because he'd been hanging around was where things fucked up.

I've said it before but back-up goalkeeper at Motherwell is a pretty niche role. Someone who's experienced enough at our level but content enough to come and just sit on the bench behind an established #1 is a difficult circle to square on our budget. Tomas Cerny's gig at Aberdeen is the dream I suppose.

We've been spoiled having Gillespie and Carson on the books at the same time but equally we'll have been paying two first team wages for the privilege. If we're able to get Fox in on less than we were paying Gillespie and Carson continues as established #1 then aye...fine.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Again.

One of the club's previous statements said the Well Society would be conducting a survey to collect members' views on potential reconstruction. Did anything happen with this?

Although this has dragged on for ages, each individual suggestion has had a life span of about a week which perhaps isn’t enough time to conduct a survey.  If they want more general thoughts on reconstruction then I don’t like the format that would result from a 14 team league.

34 minutes ago, ropy said:

Although this has dragged on for ages, each individual suggestion has had a life span of about a week which perhaps isn’t enough time to conduct a survey.  If they want more general thoughts on reconstruction then I don’t like the format that would result from a 14 team league.

Tbh, this is what I thought had come into play. The way the reconstruction discussion has panned out there's never been anything other than discussion papers raised.

Unless there's a concrete proposal with specific detail as you say there's not too much you can survey on beyond the general stuff. I suppose in the absence of specifics even a broad survey would have been instructive, even if it was just for the optics. 

The statement did say that the WS were planning on a consultation "shortly" and that was almost two months ago and it just seems to have been dropped from any subsequent updates from the club. 

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, Reid said:

Scott Burns now saying Fox has knocked back Killie and will sign for you. Unlucky.

In my view if it goes through it’s a very sensible signing. It’s pointless paying out big money for a number two goalkeeper, we had that last season with both Carson and Gillespie. So what you need is someone to jump in when needed that has experience at the level that does not cost a fortune, Fox meets that criteria. Of course he also has that challenge of competing for that number one jersey and keeping it if Carson gets injured. 

I appreciate that the various proposals seem to have been dropped as there hasn't been sufficient support to take a vote on so there hasn't really been anything for the WS to take a survey on. Have any of the reconstruction proposals actually made it to a vote?

I trust the club but I was quite looking forward to a vote from members to give us the chance to tell Hearts where to go (a la Rangers).

I see there's a footnote about big Yussuf signing his 2 year extension in Scott Burns story about Fox.

I had been wondering when we might hear about the extension offers. That would leave Dunne, Long, Maguire, Morrison and Robinson still outstanding.

Not a huge fan of Fox but if true, and Scott Burns is usually on the money, it’s a signing which makes sense.

An experienced, cheap no2 who unless Carson gets injured/suspended is unlikely to see anything other than maybe some minutes in an early round cup tie or a dead rubber. 

Can’t say I know much about big Yussuf but he must be pretty highly thought of to get a 2 year deal. 

I think having both Carson and Gillespie - who when fit could both realistically be a 1st choice keeper at most clubs in the league - has kind of skewed everyone's idea of what our squad should look like. We have never had the luxury of having two top keepers in the squad before and likely never will again. When you look at who our No2 keeper has been over the years, Fox will fit that role just fine (and would probably be better than most of them). 

Remember when McGhee bought Micheal Fraser as our *first choice* keeper and then fucked off? Or when he gave Samson the gloves out of guilt - some laugh.

Edited by Swello

6 hours ago, dezz said:

Not a huge fan of Fox but if true, and Scott Burns is usually on the money, it’s a signing which makes sense.

An experienced, cheap no2 who unless Carson gets injured/suspended is unlikely to see anything other than maybe some minutes in an early round cup tie or a dead rubber. 

Can’t say I know much about big Yussuf but he must be pretty highly thought of to get a 2 year deal. 

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to imagine Fox will be cheap. I see Lasley's confirmed our interest as well (and also had a wee bit of chat about Lamie):

"Scott Fox is certainly somebody that we know, it’s an area of the team that we’re trying to bolster, the goalkeeping position. Trevor Carson is back, which is great.

Mark Gillespie is moving on who had a great impact for us, and Scott is definitely one that is of interest. We’ll just need to wait and see if something can be done there."

Link

Fox left County for Thistle when they were in the Championship so I'd have thought he'd have been one of Thistle's higher earners. I'm not sure what Thistle's budget's been like in the Championship. I'd hope he'd be cheaper than Gillespie so ultimately there's going to be a trade-off somewhere and there's going to be a slight drop off in terms of who we're able to bring in.

It's about finding a middle-ground between a Carson/Gillespie level and someone who's completely inexperienced at our level like Morrison (should he extend his deal). Also, it's 2 out and 1 in as both Gillespie and Ferguson are away so there's a potential budget saving in that respect.

If he's a bit more cost effective for the squad role compared to Gillespie then fine - he's a 'keeper that's experienced and has worked with Hinchliffe before. It's clear what the role is too.

The chat seems to be it's a 1 year deal so it's probably not worth folk losing their minds over on Twitter.

As an aside, if he does sign up that's another Lanarkshire boi in. I'm genuinely curious if this is a conscious thing with the recruitment this summer.

Edited by capt_oats

So...assuming the Scott Burns report about Hussain having signed a two year extension is correct this is where we are at the moment in terms of players under contract.

1891532350_ScreenShot2020-06-12at19_55_22.png.febbbec316496049bef05c99efa45156.png

Offers of extended deals (TBC):

• Charles Dunne
  • Christopher Long
  • Barry Maguire
  • Peter Morrison
  • Harry Robinson

Contract Expiries:

2021: Carroll, Mugabi, Gallagher, Campbell, Polworth, Hylton, Seedorf, Devine, Semple, Cornelius, MacIver, Watt
2022: Carson, Grimshaw, Lamie, Turnbull, White, Donnelly, Hussain (?)

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

So...assuming the Scott Burns report about Hussain having signed a two year extension is correct this is where we are at the moment in terms of players under contract.

1891532350_ScreenShot2020-06-12at19_55_22.png.febbbec316496049bef05c99efa45156.png

Offers of extended deals (TBC):

• Charles Dunne
  • Christopher Long
  • Barry Maguire
  • Peter Morrison
  • Harry Robinson

Contract Expiries:

2021: Carroll, Mugabi, Gallagher, Campbell, Polworth, Hylton, Seedorf, Devine, Semple, Cornelius, MacIver, Watt
2022: Carson, Grimshaw, Lamie, Turnbull, White, Donnelly, Hussain (?)

As much as I love Turnbull it actually hurts me to see Polworth out of your side.

I also think Polworth would start ahead of Turnbull at least for a few weeks. 

I suspect one or more may be sold but we have a hell of a midfield for the start of next season.