Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, ropy said:

Technically it was reading

Should try living with a Teuchter mother providing a translated running commentary at a few seconds delay.

Edit- this is not an invitation to move into my mum's house.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

7 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

When watching the games on Alba, are we the only club that gets translated - Tobhar na Mathar (spelling)? I've noticed a few names being converted like Seamus rather than James but can't recall any other clubs.

They should technically be calling the Perth saints St Iainstown IMO.

47 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

When watching the games on Alba, are we the only club that gets translated - Tobhar na Mathar (spelling)? I've noticed a few names being converted like Seamus rather than James but can't recall any other clubs.

I like a half time score of neoni neoni. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Should try living with a Teuchter mother providing a translated running commentary at a few seconds delay.

Edit- this is not an invitation to move into my mum's house.

She's just text me in hurdy gurdy to say it was. 

At least I think it was.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The teams named after towns/cities generally do -- Inverness (Inbhir Nis), Aberdeen (Obar Dheathain), Dundee (Dùn Deagh), Kilmarnock (Cil Mhearnaig), etc.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

Cheers.

I see from the club's Twitter that this is the anniversary of a win on our 1928 tour of Argentina. We'd already beaten Argentina (Yes, really) and a select Uruguay/Argentina team. Bonkers to think that just two years later they contested the first World Cup final with Uruguay winning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MotherwellFC/status/1269585147361402881

5 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Wonder if we will see any signings come in before we start back next week. Most likely a tonne of trialists as well throughout this pre season.

Why would we have a tonne of trialists?

“We will try and fulfil the contracts to the younger boys we have offered contracts to, as that is who the club is going to be built around.

“I believe we have six or seven younger boys who are maybe a year away from establishing themselves. Some surprise you, some come quicker, but we have offered contracts to six or seven boys around 18-19 years of age who will be the back-up to the squad.

“I think a lot of clubs will have to run with smaller squads made up of younger players. We have always done that.

“The boys will be the back-up to the 15-16 first-team players that we will be able to run with.”

We already have 12 first team players contracted plus Devine, Semple, Cornelius and MacIver in the reserves.

Robinson's already confirmed 2 players have been signed on pre-contracts. If he's true to his word then we're probably looking at 2 or 3 first team players in at best.

43 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Why would we have a tonne of trialists?

We already have 12 first team players contracted plus Devine, Semple, Cornelius and MacIver in the reserves.

Robinson's already confirmed 2 players have been signed on pre-contracts. If he's true to his word then we're probably looking at 2 or 3 first team players in at best.

Don’t want to risk going backwards got to establish ourselves as a top 6 team or as high as possible. As much as it’s great to see youth come through are any from that group capable of breaking in, most likely not but you never know. 

Maybe a tonne of trialists was an over exaggeration but of course we will have trialists we always aim to improve our team especially by making sure they fit into our squad before making decisions.

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

Wonder if we will see any signings come in before we start back next week. Most likely a tonne of trialists as well throughout this pre season.

Any scoops for us Marv? This is normally your time of year! 

Fair play to the guy, I thoroughly enjoyed him calling nepotism despite admitting he’d never actually even seen Robinson’s boy play. 

On next season, I imagine it’s going to be a scrap for survival on and off the pitch. I wouldn’t expect much in the way of incomings outside of those that were already agreed. 

Thankfully with Gallagher, Campbell, Turnbull and Carson signed up I’d say we have a spine as good as anything outside the OF- presuming the latter two return anything like their previous selves. Chuck in the likes of Polworth, Donnelly, Carroll, Grimshaw, Watt, Hylton etc and we have the basis of a decent side that should hopefully see us steer well clear of relegation- which surely has to be the aim next season. 

Thin in terms of numbers but I imagine just about everyone will be running with streamlined squads next season. Lamie and White will at least at a bit of depth and experience, with the youths presumably making up the numbers. 

Outside of those two, I can’t see us doing too much else this summer. Maybe another forward(or two) if/when Long goes but I’m pretty much expecting us to go with what we have. 

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Fair play to the guy, I thoroughly enjoyed him calling nepotism despite admitting he’d never actually even seen Robinson’s boy play. 

On next season, I imagine it’s going to be a scrap for survival on and off the pitch. I wouldn’t expect much in the way of incomings outside of those that were already agreed. 

Thankfully with Gallagher, Campbell, Turnbull and Carson signed up I’d say we have a spine as good as anything outside the OF- presuming the latter two return anything like their previous selves. Chuck in the likes of Polworth, Donnelly, Carroll, Grimshaw, Watt, Hylton etc and we have the basis of a decent side that should hopefully see us steer well clear of relegation- which surely has to be the aim next season. 

Thin in terms of numbers but I imagine just about everyone will be running with streamlined squads next season. Lamie and White will at least at a bit of depth and experience, with the youths presumably making up the numbers. 

Outside of those two, I can’t see us doing too much else this summer. Maybe another forward(or two) if/when Long goes but I’m pretty much expecting us to go with what we have. 

Interesting that on pie and Bovril many have Polworth down in their  Premiership team of last season, Campbell never gets a mention. On the Motherwell forum it’s pretty much the other way round. I would agree that we have more than enough quality in the squad to see us comfortable. Top 3 again ? that would be a tough ask.

Edited by Yorky

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hopefully we terminate the entire youth setups contracts and replace them with Stephen Robinson's extended family just to boil some more piss on Steelmen.

It's been a while since I visited SO but that was absolutely worth checking in on.

I know most single club forums are dumpster fires but there's an own brand snideness towards the club on Steelmen that's really quite something.

1 hour ago, Casagolda said:

Pretty much.

Unless we sell one of our saleable assets I think it is what it is. It's about not getting relegated and the core of the squad is actually alright. If we can get folk like Cornelius and Semple dropped into the side then all the better.

Robinson's said that we're not in a position to take "gambles" which is fine. Our punts on trialists like Manzinga, Ilic and Petravicius hardly paid off. I'm curious to see how our strategy shifts in that respect though and whether we end up going for more known quantities - Lamie, White, O'Hara would definitely fit in with that.

Going back to the SO thread, where's the chat about interest in Donnelly coming from?

I agree that next season is about avoiding relegation but that's just how it is - it will be the same for about 75% of the league.

It'll be interesting to see who we bring in. I'm hopeful that Long signs on (despite him being a torn faced p***k) but can't see it. The pre-contract signings (I'm guessing) are Rickie Lamie and Jordan White. I'd also like to see O'Hara come back but that might a bit difficult for us now, particularly if Peterborough are looking for any sort of fee.

I thought O'Hara was really coming on to a game but I'd only sign him if we are selling a midfielder. For me, we already have too many midfielders to fit into our current shape and if numbers are going to be tight I'd rather focus on other areas. Especially when Semple and Cornelius play there as two of our emerging players.

If there are two or three more signings after Lamie and White, I'd make centre-back and winger my priorities.