Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

You really could do better. He'd be a good option as cover/bench but I really don't rate him.

In saying that, Lawless would be a belter of a signing for you

Have to say I was surprised how well lawless did for you, I thought he was going backwards at Thistle. Personally though I don’t think he would get much game time with us, not quite good enough if we want to keep pushing on.

10 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Have to say I was surprised how well lawless did for you, I thought he was going backwards at Thistle. Personally though I don’t think he would get much game time with us, not quite good enough if we want to keep pushing on.

When you look at the wide players Robinson's brought in (or used) - Ariyibi, Hastie, Hylton, Seedorf, Cole, Scott and Aarons I'm not sure Lawless really fits that sort of template.

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

When you look at the wide players Robinson's brought in (or used) - Ariyibi, Hastie, Hylton, Seedorf, Cole, Scott and Aarons I'm not sure Lawless really fits that sort of template.

Agreed

2 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm not prepared to read the word Lawleff on Steelmen Online about 80 times a week. No thanks.

It was the BBC that kept typing Steven Lawleff, but whats even weirder and much less known, is that it was the name they were using for Steven McGarry, not Steven Lawless.

Mental indeed.

Every week they reported that there was a change from last week and McGarry was coming into the team, because he wasn’t listed in the PA version of the previous line up.  Nobody noticed that they were reporting the same thing every week.

11 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I haven't seen enough of Ali Mccann to pass comment on how good he is.

Alan Campbell is an excellent player for us but, strange as this may sound, I still doubt he has what it takes to get to the very top. He reminds me of Keith Lasley in that he's a very decent player for our sort of level but that'll end up being where he spends the majority of his career.

Obviously happy to be proven wrong and the loan move to Newcastle is likely to do him the world of good when it eventually comes around.

I agree that I doubt he has what it takes to make it to the very top...but hes miles ahead of where Lasley was as a player in every department in my opinion 

3 hours ago, Al B said:

It was the BBC that kept typing Steven Lawleff, but whats even weirder and much less known, is that it was the name they were using for Steven McGarry, not Steven Lawless.

Mental indeed.

:lol: I either forgot or never knew the backstory and assumed it was another Arnier, Vigours, Humphries etc case.

5 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

It's mad that Hickey is going to win YPOTY when his final game of 2020 was taking an absolute hiding off a guy that's played about 5 games of football in a year.

Surely he isn't going to win it? Think all the other nominees are a fair bit ahead of him in terms of form imo. Morelos inclusion for poty is baffling as well considering his form fell off a cliff and has barely played a good game this year, Dykes for it being his debut season in the top league surely is more deserved as a nomination. Since it is writers poty year though I suppose Morelos provides a fair whack of column inches regardless of form.

Edited by gannonball

On 01/06/2020 at 12:17, dezz said:

I guess he can stay on the list then seeing as he doesn’t have any senior NI caps yet and qualifies for Scotland. I’m pretty sure the Writers YPOTY has to be Scottish unlike the senior player award and the PFA award. 

I'm not sure that 2003 winner Zhurab Khizanishvili would've qualified on those grounds 😛

17 hours ago, ATLIS said:

You really could do better. He'd be a good option as cover/bench but I really don't rate him.

In saying that, Lawless would be a belter of a signing for you

Did Lamie go out the team as a result of announcing he wouldn't be staying, or was it to do with form or both?

I'm fairly sure he will be announced as our signing fairly soon, all the talk, plus him retweeting Tony Watt signing a new deal etc, make it pretty obvious. I do think though, that before the pandemic struck, we probably agreed a deal with him based on him being a versatile player who could cover a few positions, but now we are probably looking at him being first-choice partner to Gallagher at centre-back. Especially as we have last season's first choice full backs signed up.

Lawless looks like he had good numbers last season, but it looks like 7/11 goals were pens and we'll already have a battle between the returning Turnbull and Liam Donnelly for that privilege. Still 4 goals and 8 assists is better than any of our wingers managed last season, but I don't think he quite fits the young and pacy profile of your usual Robinson winger signing as said above.

21 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Did Lamie go out the team as a result of announcing he wouldn't be staying, or was it to do with form or both?

I'm fairly sure he will be announced as our signing fairly soon, all the talk, plus him retweeting Tony Watt signing a new deal etc, make it pretty obvious. I do think though, that before the pandemic struck, we probably agreed a deal with him based on him being a versatile player who could cover a few positions, but now we are probably looking at him being first-choice partner to Gallagher at centre-back. Especially as we have last season's first choice full backs signed up.

Lawless looks like he had good numbers last season, but it looks like 7/11 goals were pens and we'll already have a battle between the returning Turnbull and Liam Donnelly for that privilege. Still 4 goals and 8 assists is better than any of our wingers managed last season, but I don't think he quite fits the young and pacy profile of your usual Robinson winger signing as said above.

Lamie was dropped mainly because Aaron Taylor Sinclair is far better than him. He's not a CB - which is one of the things confusing me when people talk about him. He can fill in at CB but has always played LWB for us. As I was saying though, ATS proved to be better in pretty much every aspect for us when he got up to fitness and Lamie couldn't get a look in - especially when we have Steve Lawson (Togo's first choice LB) who rotates from CM to play there. 

He's best pals with Tony Watt so that'd explain the retweets etc (I think they've known each other since they were young). Lamie at CB is a bit of a liability, it stuck out to me vs St Mirren a lot, he's really slow and doesn't seem to react quickly at all when there's danger - in comparison to Guthrie, Ambrose, Brown, Lithgow he was always going to be behind them. 

Stats weren't too kind to him on Rangers Report's twitter - they seem to do a lot of profiling throughout the season. Pretty consistently in the last 2 seasons at CB, when he's played Lamie seems to let an abnormally high % of shots come through his area of influence. 

Can see why Lawless wouldn't work to be fair, he seems to be best at cutting inside and getting a ball into the box or cutting inside and cracking a shot off. He seemed to have a great partnership with Dykes though which amplified the numbers he got

56 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Lamie was dropped mainly because Aaron Taylor Sinclair is far better than him. He's not a CB - which is one of the things confusing me when people talk about him. He can fill in at CB but has always played LWB for us. As I was saying though, ATS proved to be better in pretty much every aspect for us when he got up to fitness and Lamie couldn't get a look in - especially when we have Steve Lawson (Togo's first choice LB) who rotates from CM to play there. 

He's best pals with Tony Watt so that'd explain the retweets etc (I think they've known each other since they were young). Lamie at CB is a bit of a liability, it stuck out to me vs St Mirren a lot, he's really slow and doesn't seem to react quickly at all when there's danger - in comparison to Guthrie, Ambrose, Brown, Lithgow he was always going to be behind them. 

Stats weren't too kind to him on Rangers Report's twitter - they seem to do a lot of profiling throughout the season. Pretty consistently in the last 2 seasons at CB, when he's played Lamie seems to let an abnormally high % of shots come through his area of influence. 

Can see why Lawless wouldn't work to be fair, he seems to be best at cutting inside and getting a ball into the box or cutting inside and cracking a shot off. He seemed to have a great partnership with Dykes though which amplified the numbers he got

Cheers for that mate. Transfermarkt lists him as starting most of the first half of last season at CB but I know it isn't always that accurate.

Not the most encouraging that we are signing Aaron Taylor-Sinclair's understudy, who himself far from set the heather on fire with us. Dykes turned out to be a great signing for you, we were linked with him at one point as well, wish it had been us signing him!

1 hour ago, DanElderRRFC said:

I’ve been posting a load of old clips in the Raith thread but this one will probably be more appreciated here.

That Motherwell kit is something else emoji7.png

Was at that one - nice to see it again, although I had forgotten about Fraser Wishart's 2nd spell quite honestly...IIRC that season, we beat you 5-0 home and away as well as that game..

Raith Rovers are almost a mythical team now - it's been so long since we've played (and the new league cup format doesn't help that) - I would fancy a wee cup trip to Starks next season...

Edited to add - we've only played twice in 20+ years - both LC ties and the last one was in 2007...

Edited by Swello

14 minutes ago, Swello said:

Was at that one - nice to see it again, although I had forgotten about Fraser Wishart's 2nd spell quite honestly...IIRC that season, we beat you 5-0 home and away as well as that game..

Raith Rovers are almost a mythical team now - it's been so long since we've played (and the new league cup format doesn't help that) - I would fancy a wee cup trip to Starks next season...

Edited to add - we've only played twice in 20+ years - both LC ties and the last one was in 2007...

That was the first ever victory I witnessed in the flesh. There are loads of Motherwell/Raith games from the 90s on YouTube but sadly not that one, would love to see the goals back. @DanElderRRFC if it comes up on a Raith thread, be great if you could drop it in here.

Sorry to link the Sun *spit* but Hartley's interview about leaving had me nearly with a tear in my eye.  It's sad he's off, but he's a left a statement of how wonderful the Well is that can only help with future recruitment

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5657107/motherwell-hartley-tears-release-fir-park/

“See when you wake up in the morning and you are excited about going to work? Well, that’s been me every day for three years at Motherwell. The place is a breath of fresh air. It’s amazing.

55 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

That was the first ever victory I witnessed in the flesh. 

That was my first ever Motherwell game so would love to see the goals back too if they are available anywhere.