Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

With all the talk of recruitment for next season, I take it there isn't much in the youth team that looks likely to break through in the foreseeable? 

Admittedly, due to the lack of any sort of coverage these days I have next to no idea what the current state of the youth team is. However, there seems to be a real lack of anybody even on the cusp of breaking through at the minute. 

Obviouslyyou can’t just have a conveyer belt of talent constantly coming though and there’s bound to peaks and troughs. However it feels like we’ve went from one extreme to the other in less than a year

The 2nd half of last season you had Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie, Cadden plus the likes of Scott and Semple who were all either in the team or at least in and around the squad.

By my reckoning, Allan Campbell’s been the sole youth product in 5 of our 7 squads post January. 

Our youth team products have been getting sold before they even make the first team.

No idea why Semple has been frozen out. He seemed the ideal player to come on when Polworth is blowing or when we want to be more attacking.

Strong argument we could have went without Manzinga and Ndjoli. And gave Semple or even Cole Starrs a chance to come on and make an impact. For some reason we like to accumulate a few shite players that won't even make the bench instead of just letting our youth players get a sniff.

I am sort of in the same camp as you, don't know a huge deal about the current crop. I know Semple is injured at the moment, as for the others maybe nearing it, Dean cornelius (cm) David Devine and Yussuf Hussain (cb) however all three are only 18, i think there is a small gap now. someone mentioned on some forum that our next drop similar to the one we have just produced is currently the u12's or something like that.

you have to bear in mind we lost Mckinstry and Mcalear before we got a chance to see them who would be in this current crop.

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Our youth team products have been getting sold before they even make the first team.

No idea why Semple has been frozen out. He seemed the ideal player to come on when Polworth is blowing or when we want to be more attacking.

Strong argument we could have went without Manzinga and Ndjoli. And gave Semple or even Cole Starrs a chance to come on and make an impact. For some reason we like to accumulate a few shite players that won't even make the bench instead of just letting our youth players get a sniff.

I actually disagree with this, Robinson has said on more than one occasion he won't sign or play players that will stop our own coming through unless of course they are clearly better. Ross Maciver starting against st mirren for eg. I think it's a case of the current crop just not being ready yet.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

With all the talk of recruitment for next season, I take it there isn't much in the youth team that looks likely to break through in the foreseeable? 

Admittedly, due to the lack of any sort of coverage these days I have next to no idea what the current state of the youth team is. However, there seems to be a real lack of anybody even on the cusp of breaking through at the minute. 

Obviouslyyou can’t just have a conveyer belt of talent constantly coming though and there’s bound to peaks and troughs. However it feels like we’ve went from one extreme to the other in less than a year

The 2nd half of last season you had Turnbull, Campbell, Hastie, Cadden plus the likes of Scott and Semple who were all either in the team or at least in and around the squad.

By my reckoning, Allan Campbell’s been the sole youth product in 5 of our 7 squads post January. 

Yes and no.

The obvious ones are Semple, who's already been around the first team plenty as you point out (18) (injured last month - going by his IG he was in for an operation last week), Cornelius (18) and Devine (18) (who's out on loan at QoS and unsurprisingly seems to be finding it tough at Championship level). There was a Robinson press conference a few weeks back where he said something along the lines of the players at that level would be looking at next season for coming through.

The Semple injury IMO is a gutter as I've a feeling that he'd been placed ahead of Sloth in the list of midfield options although I'd guess Turnbull's return compensates for that a bit. It's actually notable that the Reserves form has wobbled generally when Semple's not been in the side - his last appearance was 20th January in the 2-1 win vs Ross County. Since then they've played 4 and lost 3.

The point about going from the one extreme to another is probably explained by the fact that a fair percentage of the Reserves are actually u18s (7 of the 17 in that group were the from the new intake).

You've also got the inconvenience of McKinstry and McAlear having been sold to Leeds and Norwich respectively - I could be wrong but presumably those two would have been next on the conveyer belt so to speak - both seem to be making a go of it though so fair fucks - McAlear's in Norwich's u18s group but seems to be appearing for their u23s and McKinstry's 17 but playing regularly for the Leeds u23s - neither of which helps us at the moment granted.

Edited by capt_oats

I couldn't say for certain - but I reckon part of the reason we've not seen many young players on the bench or in the team this season is the sheer volume of players we signed - Which I think is probably a by-product of us losing out on first-choice targets and instead signing more players on less money, particularly in forward areas.

57 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I actually disagree with this, Robinson has said on more than one occasion he won't sign or play players that will stop our own coming through unless of course they are clearly better. Ross Maciver starting against st mirren for eg. I think it's a case of the current crop just not being ready yet.

Ross Maciver was signed at the start of the season (and isn't very good)

Manzinga = pish, Ilic = pish, Ndjoli = pish

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Injured ??

Robinson’s case is up today, hopefully it can be put to bed and all can move on.
Reports from the trial saying his Mrs has defended him saying there was no issue and that infact he was protecting her. Tallies with what I was told a few weeks ago that she did not want to press charges but two witnesses saying that they felt it was an assault forced the police to act.

I thought MacIver has looked okay in bits. 

Would not be surprised to see the back of Hartley, Dunne, Tait, Gillespie, Ilic, Long and Manzinga, so that'll be a laugh when we beat Queen's Park 5-0 in the LC Groups with about 8 new players and David Turnbull hitting a hat-trick amid transfer rumours while I convince myself we'll win the league.

46 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
3 hours ago, steelmen said:
Robinson’s case is up today, hopefully it can be put to bed and all can move on.

Reports from the trial saying his Mrs has defended him saying there was no issue and that infact he was protecting her. Tallies with what I was told a few weeks ago that she did not want to press charges but two witnesses saying that they felt it was an assault forced the police to act.

Not his Mrs more like bit on the side 

3 hours ago, MP_MFC said:
6 hours ago, steelmen said:

It is, of course, very common for abusers to put pressure on their victims after the event, especially with what is at stake. If found guilty, he'd likely lose his job and possibly not work in football again. So she writes a letter to court, saying she was drunk, emotional and it's all her fault. And so it goes on.

8 hours ago, Hendo said:

It is, of course, very common for abusers to put pressure on their victims after the event, especially with what is at stake. If found guilty, he'd likely lose his job and possibly not work in football again. So she writes a letter to court, saying she was drunk, emotional and it's all her fault. And so it goes on.

How do you work that out? We've got a central defender who was in the jail for assault not so long ago.