Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Aw yeah of course. I don't think we should see him until mid March if not later. Let him find his feet and hopefully pick up not far behind where he left off.

Let's also get him signed up for another year or two.

Met and spoke to him in the car park before St Mirren game. He confirmed he was back in full training and had played 11v 11. My pal asked him if he was signing a contract. To which he responded - hopefully.  But if I am not mistaken a contract offer has been discussed for a while now. So one wonders what the delay is. 

Sadly for a grown adult I was fawning over him and telling him how much we miss him.....true dat. 

I expect it will be another few games and hopefully better weather before we see him in 1st team squad. 

I'm interested to see what changes (if any) Robinson goes with in reaction to the first half on Tuesday. I know previously he was saying we are looking to tweak things rather tear up our system and start again but i've no doubt Tuesday has probably made him think twice about this.

To me, there is a few things that could result in a bigger change. Perhaps even to the system being used

• Centre back situation - Hartley has been struggling for a good while now, Tuesday just put rammed it home. He needs taken out the side. Also Mugabi = dung
  • Caroll injury - Sure we could go back to Tait at LB but if we forget for a minute how good he was on Tuesday we will all remember how much he has struggled with pace prior to then
  • Long/Watt - We are probably in a position now where we have two decent out and out strikers and could maybe benefit from playing as a two rather than the 1 + 2 wide men
  • Centre midfield - The working formula we have seems to have completely died on it's arse since the Aberdeen game. I'd like to see us switch this up a bit.

Don't want to go over old ground regarding the game as a whole on Tuesday but the first half was not out of the blue. We have been shite for a while, it was startling though just how bad we could be when there is a couple of starters removed from the team.

Honestly, I can't be arsed going on Saturday. Fed up of going to Hamilton and watching a dire game, seen that movie a million times. In saying that I'll see how I feel on Saturday, knowing me I might rock up and  PATG last minute..

I'd like to see Hartley dropped and put Donnelly in at centre back. I wasn't particularly impressed with Donnelly playing their previously but he done well on Tuesday and has been pretty rank at centre mid since the turn of the year. O'Hara can come in and give us much needed legs in the middle of the park. The quicker we get Dunne and Turnbull back the better they will be like new players.

Overall, the next 3 games are going to be massive. If we can turn things back round and get maximum points we might still be in with a chance of getting top 4.

Edited by Luke92

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Met and spoke to him in the car park before St Mirren game. He confirmed he was back in full training and had played 11v 11. My pal asked him if he was signing a contract. To which he responded - hopefully.  But if I am not mistaken a contract offer has been discussed for a while now. So one wonders what the delay is. 

Sadly for a grown adult I was fawning over him and telling him how much we miss him.....true dat. 

I expect it will be another few games and hopefully better weather before we see him in 1st team squad. 

Must be being misrepresented, I hate the football agents on Football Manager.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

It's insane that we are a point clear in 3rd with a game in hand considering how shite we have been.

2 points from our last 15 kinda shite. 
I just hope we have got the worst out of us and can go on another run soon. At this rate Aberdeen, Hibs and Livi will overtake us any day now. St Mirren and Ross County at home next. Failure to take 6 or maybe 4 points and we are fecked. 

To be fair, it’s probably our first properly poor sustained run of form since 2018?

Think I’m right in saying no team outside the OF picked up more points than us in 2019. When you consider the budget we have and the players we lost at various stages across the way, that’s pretty remarkable consistency.

We were more than overdue a poor run. And whilst it would be disappointing if what looked like a promising season, stumbled towards a fairly drab conclusion- it’d hardly be seen as a disaster. If offered top 6 finish and a debt free club at the start of the season, most of us would bitten your arm off. 

With Watt and Aarons getting fitter though, O’Hara finding some real form and Turnbull’s return on the horizon, I still think we can finish the season strongly. Next 2 games are massive though, a couple of wins against St Mirren/ County and we could really put ourselves in an excellent position for a European spot.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

To be fair, it’s probably our first properly poor sustained run of form since 2018?

Think I’m right in saying no team outside the OF picked up more points than us in 2019. When you consider the budget we have and the players we lost at various stages across the way, that’s pretty remarkable consistency.

We were more than overdue a poor run. And whilst it would be disappointing if what looked like a promising season, stumbled towards a fairly drab conclusion- it’d hardly be seen as a disaster. If offered top 6 finish and a debt free club at the start of the season, most of us would bitten your arm off. 

With Watt and Aarons getting fitter though, O’Hara finding some real form and Turnbull’s return on the horizon, I still think we can finish the season strongly. Next 2 games are massive though, a couple of wins against St Mirren/ County and we could really put ourselves in an excellent position for a European spot.

Our 2019 is below:

ENN51rEXUAAUpwF?format=jpg&name=small

Our last run of 3 league losses on the bounce was 19th - 26th December 2018, (Celtic (a) 3-0, St Mirren 0-1 (h), Kilmarnock 0-1 (h)). Ironically just before the change in shape.

Even in the last few games - Livi have an outrageous home record and we've not won there (or scored a goal) since 18th August 2018, Celtic are Celtic and a midweek fixture against St Johnstone in Perth in February is the very definition of "a difficult place to go" - as Rangers just found out.

Performances maybe haven't been great of late and it's fair enough to comment on that but there's context - we do run with a relatively small squad, it's a big ask to keep an average of 1.76 ppg up, we lost 2 of our relatively settled front 3 and replaced them with players who could be as good (if not better) but aren't match fit...so on and so forth.

I'm wary of being a bit too 'eat your cereal' about it but when you've got legitimate morons like Kenny here on the loose, what can you do?

ERda9SvXUAArew0?format=jpg&name=small

I mean...fucking hell.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Our 2019 is below:

ENN51rEXUAAUpwF?format=jpg&name=small

Our last run of 3 league losses on the bounce was 19th - 26th December 2018, (Celtic (a) 3-0, St Mirren 0-1 (h), Kilmarnock 0-1 (h)). Ironically just before the change in shape.

Even in the last few games - Livi have an outrageous home record and we've not won there (or scored a goal) since 18th August 2018, Celtic are Celtic and a midweek fixture against St Johnstone in Perth in February is the very definition of "a difficult place to go" - as Rangers just found out.

Performances maybe haven't been great of late and it's fair enough to comment on that but there's context - we do run with a relatively small squad, it's a big ask to keep an average of 1.76 ppg up, we lost 2 of our relatively settled front 3 and replaced them with players who could be as good (if not better) but aren't match fit...so on and so forth.

I'm wary of being a bit too 'eat your cereal' about it but when you've got legitimate morons like Kenny here on the loose, what can you do?

ERda9SvXUAArew0?format=jpg&name=small

I mean...fucking hell.

mjc.PNG.3ef0f2b161169c74e4ddddfa0b226e70.PNG

1025303247_pp550x550_u1.jpg.6ada2ef762d56f1e4a5742df0fcbffa2.jpg

Edited by Mr Hahn

28 minutes ago, ropy said:

Does anyone know Kenny?  How did he make it through the lean years?

Tbh, I thought it must have been a bit when it popped up on my Twitter feed earlier but who knows?

Just to break down what is a pretty fucking bold claim - he's been a Motherwell supporter for 50 years...that puts him at 1970.

So that timeframe includes 2 relegations, 4 seasons in the 2nd tier, avoiding relegation twice on technicalities, a defeat to Albion Rovers, a relegation play-off, McLeish setting fire to almost £2m as he dismantled one of the best Motherwell sides of the past 30 years, an administration and the Malpas season but a 0-0 against Accies to take us up to 3rd in the league is grinding his gears.

Kenny needs to have a fucking word with himself IMVHO.