Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Mark O'Hara absolutely took that game by the scruff of the neck tonight. Astonishing performance.

O'Hara was ridiculous. Was popping up everywhere and I was absolutely convinced he was going to net us the winner.

I thought Watt brought a lot to the table as well tbh. 

O'Hara was ridiculous. Was popping up everywhere and I was absolutely convinced he was going to net us the winner.
I thought Watt brought a lot to the table as well tbh. 
Watt and McIver both were excellent I thought second half, McIver is so good in the air.... Although we gloss over him losing his man for their second I believe

I’d chuck in Tait as well, the best he’s played in a long time. 

Ultimately though, that 1st half done us and you can’t say it hasn’t been coming. A few teams have threatened to do similar recently- Livi a few weeks ago springs to mind. We’ve become very predictable and easy to play against. 

2nd half though the change of shape, a bit more aggression and even the ability to go a more direct with the 2 up top made a massive difference. Yes some of the goals were erm, slightly fortuitous. However, it’s amazing what can happen when you play at a high tempo, get bodies forward and put balls into the box. Instead of having your two centre backs and keeper dick about with the ball at the back for half the game 

First proper look at Watt and I thought he was very decent. More robust than Long and showed good quality on the ball. On the other hand, Manzinga and Mugabi just won’t do. And despite his mini renaissance during the early part of the season, Hartley has sadly reverted  back to looking done. 

Edited by Casagolda

Tait, Donnelly and particularly O'Hara were fucking great in the second half. O'Hara turning up absolutely everywhere. Also thought Watt has something about him.

I said Hartley was done in pre-season, then he had a bit of a renaissance so I was happy to walk back on that. I now know to stick to my guns because, goodness me, is he shite. Mugabi getting that 18 month deal on the back of about 3 games seemed rash at the time and now here we are. Might seem a bit kneejerk but I'd be happy if neither of them played for us again. 

I second @thisGRAEME's Belgium policy. Manzinga will just not do one bit. His attempts to clear the ball were laughably bad.

12 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Mind when we were good for about 6 months?

Thing is, were we though? 

I think our deficiencies have always been there, only masked by most of the other sides in the league being an even worse level of shite than us. 

Now that a few of them seem to have turned the corner, the fight is on to stay top 6, never mind top 4.

Obviously we've lost the physical element of our attack, but back to middle we're pretty much as was. 

Missed big Dec badly last night, and Mugabi as stated previously will just not do. If big Charlie Taxi can get back fit, a central pairing of him and Gallagher could be the best option we have. Hartley was again abysmal last night on a personal performance, never mind showing any form of leadership when we started so badly. 

Accies on Saturday is a big game now, and my optimism levels for that are low. Robinson has some serious work to do. 

1-4 down at H/T to St Mirren is the sort of clown car performance that ends careers so fair fucks for us actually getting back into it 2nd half and showing up.

Shipping cheap goals has been a regular theme for a while but last night was clearly a tipping point in terms of acknowledging the issue. Robinson's post-match had echoes of the stuff we've heard before when we've been in a funk - "too loyal to certain players", "maybe scoring goals isn't where we've a problem" etc.

What he actually does about it with the options available who knows...

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, DosserDel said:

Thing is, were we though? 

So via my boi @lanky_ffc on twitter;

By way of a short explantation;

xPoints, similar to xG, attempts to put context on how likely certain events are to happen based on the quality of the chances created. xPoints takes xG and moves to the next level from goals scored to look at how the results of the match would play out in the long run.

While I'm not a massive stats guy, this in a large part feels relevant. It suggests that we were roughly 8 points better off than we should have been after 26 games. Over the course of a season that'd probably turn out to be unsustainable, which is where we are I think. Chuck in addition to that, Hibs, Aberdeen, Killie and St. Johnstone all performing significantly below that means that over the course of a season, that'll level off. Certainly works for us having seen us as well, a bunch of games we scraped through in that we now feel like we're on the other side of.

It seems like Tony Watt showed you last night what he can do, he’s very good technically and very good at taking the ball in and finding runners. He won’t get many goals, but if your midfield and wingers can run off him he’ll create space and chances. He’s a more than decent option if he can get fit, but never let him take penalties, he just can’t.

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

It seems like Tony Watt showed you last night what he can do, he’s very good technically and very good at taking the ball in and finding runners. He won’t get many goals, but if your midfield and wingers can run off him he’ll create space and chances. He’s a more than decent option if he can get fit, but never let him take penalties, he just can’t.

I also enjoyed his steady level of shithousery from the second half on last night; lots of niggle with various St Mirren defenders which was amusing to see.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

I missed it last night but just how bad was the defence, Mugabi in particular? Are we talking Zak Jules v Dundee levels of shite?

I thought Hartley was worse, tbh, but I could be easily convinced either way. Hartley was getting dragged out into daft positions on top of giving the ball away with roughly... every pass?