Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Hastie will be playing at Morton or Falkirk in a few years time.

Even by the end of his time with us he was beginning to get massively found out. Rangers obviously don't fancy him and neither do the mighty Rotherham.

Shame...

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It looks like Jake Hastie is going back to Rangers after an "agreement between the two clubs" but from the Rotherham paper article suggesting he was poor when he wasn't in possession, and the fact that he has been an unused sub in 9 of their last 15 games, that would probably tell me it's more on Rotherham's side.

I wonder where he would be now if he'd stayed with us. Cutting in from the right and scoring a worldie most weeks was clearly going to have an expiration point.

We've obviously thrived in his absence, whilst he's not (bank balance aside), but I wonder where I'd place in the pecking order with our current widemen. Below Scott and Hylton probably, but the rest would be up for debate. Not that I would take him back.

I think his effectiveness was on the wane anyway, whether that's because of the media speculation or folk finding him out is probably up for debate. 

If he had stayed, though? I'd say he'd probably be up to nearly 50 appearances for us. He's definitely got raw attributes but seemed a bit lost when teams doubled up on him. 

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're being linked to Hartlepool attacker Gime Toure.

Where will he fit in your side?

From a quick check he'd be the physical alternative to Chris Long we may have been trying to get hold of (or from watching the video below he can play in the same area as Seedorf & Hylton). We've been linked with folk like Brian Graham and Jordan White already this season.

Out of contract at the end of the season, 11 goals in 27 games this season and he's a 6ft 2 unit.

HIs name popped up in a Tweet earlier today. Tbh, I thought it was just some nonsense account (16 followers).

Still strongly on the #ANNOUNCETONY bus though.

Edited by capt_oats

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're being linked to Hartlepool attacker Gime Toure.

Where will he fit in your side?

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

From a quick check he'd be the physical alternative we may have been trying to get hold of as an alternative to Chris Long (or from watching the video below Seedorf & Hylton). We've been linked with folk like Brian Graham and Jordan White already this season.

Out of contract at the end of the season, 11 goals in 27 games this season and he's a 6ft 2 unit.

HIs name popped up in a Tweet earlier today. Tbh, I thought it was just some nonsense account (16 followers).

His name was mentioned without being mentioned in a not so subtle post on Steelmen online yesterday

2 minutes ago, weemac said:

His name was mentioned without being mentioned in a not so subtle post on Steelmen online yesterday

Ah, the last time I dipped in there people seemed to genuinely be wondering why we hadn't signed Shankland so I made a swift exit.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

From a quick check he'd be the physical alternative to Chris Long we may have been trying to get hold of (or from watching the video below he can play in the same area as Seedorf & Hylton). We've been linked with folk like Brian Graham and Jordan White already this season.

Aye that Tweet is where I seen it too tbh.

Tony Watt said last week he had no interest in returning and was settled in Bulgaria 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Ah, the last time I dipped in there people seemed to genuinely be wondering why we hadn't signed Shankland so I made a swift exit.

I did see that conversation too, I might go on and make a post about how we could potentially have had a strike force of Danny Johnson and Shankland and watch the carnage unfold

39 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I think his effectiveness was on the wane anyway, whether that's because of the media speculation or folk finding him out is probably up for debate. 

If he had stayed, though? I'd say he'd probably be up to nearly 50 appearances for us. He's definitely got raw attributes but seemed a bit lost when teams doubled up on him. 

Different players obvs but there's probably a comparison to be made in terms of development with James Scott.

Scott signed his 3.5 year extension roughly around the time Hastie was in the middle of his purple patch - but had far less football under his belt than Hastie had with his loans (he's younger too).

As it stands Scott's now hit 40 first team appearances and I don't think anyone would argue he's developing into a far more rounded player than Hastie has shown.

That's not to say Hastie wouldn't have developed/improved had he stuck around but while the club obviously caught some heat for the way the Hastie thing panned out in hindsight holding off to see how he did in the first team before sorting a new contract seems fair enough - I don't think anyone saw that patch of form coming and arguably he's regressed to mean now.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Did Hastie not sign a daft 4 or 5 year deal with the ****?

4 year according to their press release.

RANGERS are today delighted to announce the signing of Jake Hastie on a four-year-deal.

I mean...fair fucks.

We're also supposed to have got £300k + sell on as comp.

Edited by capt_oats

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Different players obvs but there's probably a comparison to be made in terms of development with James Scott.

Scott signed his 3.5 year extension roughly around the time Hastie was in the middle of his purple patch - but had far less football under his belt than Hastie had with his loans (he's younger too).

As it stands Scott's now hit 40 first team appearances and I don't think anyone would argue he's developing into a far more rounded player than Hastie has shown.

That's not to say Hastie wouldn't have developed/improved had he stuck around but while the club obviously caught some heat for the way the Hastie thing panned out in hindsight holding off to see how he did in the first team before sorting a new contract seems fair enough - I don't think anyone saw that patch of form coming and arguably he's regressed to mean now.

Was there not chat at the time that the club were more keen to get Scott tied down than they were Hastie this time last year?

16 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Was there not chat at the time that the club were more keen to get Scott tied down than they were Hastie this time last year?

That definitely seemed to be the chat. I think there were a couple of posts along those lines on here.

I'm sure there was a post somewhere suggesting that the club actually saw Scott's potential value as being on par with Turnbull.

I suppose Scott just flew under the radar at the time as he wasn't starting in the first team and the wider fanbase didn't really know who he was whereas everyone was having a shitfit about Hastie.

Edited by capt_oats

A more recent YouTube clip in the spoiler below....

I know the mention has come from a Twitter account with 16 followers but there's a fair amount about him that's peak Motherwell lower league signing. I suppose we've done alright out of Hartlepool in the past with Carson and Donnelly.

if we've decided Seedorf's a bust then there are definite shades of Gboly/Johnson here IMO (acknowledging @thisGRAEME's point about full backs). Sign him up.

Spoiler

Apparently he fell out with Hartlepool's current manager when they were both at AFC Fylde.  Seems like he was at it and forced a move.

Delighted to find out he was also recently banned for 3 matches for punching an Oxford player as well. #WelcomeGime you'll fit right in here.

Also #ANNOUNCETONY

48 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Delighted to find out he was also recently banned for 3 matches for punching an Oxford player as well. #WelcomeGime you'll fit right in here.

Criticial support for this,get it right up the boat-racing, international transfer loophole exploiting c***s.