Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

If the ball fell to Danny Johnson in the box, I’d fancy him to stick the ball in the net. That’s probably where it ends with positivity I could say about him - beyond that he’s limited in almost every other aspect of a game of football and is far more suited to playing in the 4-4-2 teams down south.

Tony Watt. Without having the stats to hand, my opinion of him is underwhelming as a goalscorer. Alas, with the goals that we have throughout the team at the present - with Div Turnbull to return too - I’d be fully onboard a hype train of Tony Watt leading the line and helping the team out that way with his all round play as a number 9, which is very good from memory.

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

He's got a very mediocre goal scoring record anywhere above the 5th tier of English football or whatever level Real Murcia's B team play at.

I wasnt being serious there, it's just what hes been claiming upon joining Hartlepool. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I wasnt being serious there, it's just what hes been claiming upon joining Hartlepool. 

Fundamentally, he's not wrong, and while I don't actively wish him ill like say.. Jacob Blyth, you'd be hard pushed to find a player for just about any club in Scotland that scored against Rangers, Celtic and Aberdeen, who nobody was really that arsed about.

You get complete jobbers who had very little impact at clubs who scored against the Old FIrm (say, Simon Lappin for example for us) who always is remembered more fondly than he should be, because he scored against Celtic. Johnson doesn't even really have that for me.

56 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

When a load of our support started applauding Johnson at Dundee it's fair to say it got a reaction out of me. I'd sooner start with 10 men than play him.

That was the most I've cringed at a game in some time. Applause for former players should be reserved for your actual club legends, not lazy strikers who, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't even score double figures of goals for Motherwell.

McFadden? Aye I'd give a wee clap.

Danny Johnson? No thanks, I'll sit on my hands and hope he doesn't score against us.

Our style and system in the past year hasn't seen us play in a way which overly relies on a centre-forward to be scoring every week, so I really don't think we're ruing the fact we let a guy go who's only selling point is goals, especially when he dropped a division, only scored four which weren't penalties and found himself surplus to requirements in January.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc
Grammar correction

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Our style and system in the past year hasn't seen us play in a way which overly relies on a centre-forward to be scoring every week, so I really don't think we ruing the fact we let a guy go who's only selling point is goals, especially when he dropped a division, only scored four which weren't penalties and found himself surplus to requirements in January.

And shushed a crowd for a disallowed goal. Riddy,

Some of the takes on Motherwell Twitter are just weird.

Johnson was dropped from the side roughly from the end of September until mid-November. Reading between the lines it was because Robinson wanted more from him in terms of his all round play. He came back into the starting XI and scored against Aberdeen, Celtic and St Johnstone - fine.

We changed our shape post-winter break and it was clear (at least it should have been to everyone watching the Ross County shitshow) that he didn't suit what we were doing. He was given the opportunity to start in the SC against County with him playing alongside McCormack (lol) in a 4411. We were rotten.

In the games that followed we shifted to 433 with Main as the #9 and of the 15 Johnson was available for he was an unused sub in 12 of them. We also had the 3rd best form in the league.

The 3 he did get on the park he was absolute mince. Quite the conundrum.

It's hardly one of life's great mysteries why he was moved on. He wasn't going to start and despite him being a good finisher we were/are a better side without him in it.

Yet...here we are with the "he'd have done a job for us this season" Twitter-takes despite him having shown absolutely nothing to suggest he'd have done a job for us this season.

Edited by capt_oats

Johnson looked like he might have something about him when he first came in but his performances after he'd dropped out the team were pathetic. I'm not sure if this was just a regression to the mean or him taking the huff but in particular his cameos Easter Road and at home to Accies resembled a guy being plucked out of Jack Daniels about half 2 on a Saturday afternoon and told he was playing for Motherwell.

1 hour ago, Mr Hahn said:

That was the most I've cringed at a game in some time. Applause for former players should be reserved for your actual club legends, not lazy strikers who, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't even score double figures of goals for Motherwell.

McFadden? Aye I'd give a wee clap.

Danny Johnson? No thanks, I'll sit on my hands and hope he doesn't score against us.

I have to agree with you here, however I can't confirm or deny whether I was involved. which takes me to my next point, I reckon that was down to 90% of the support being in the pub since 1pm, absolutely cruising and just applauding anything at all.

For what its worth, some chatter from Alan Burrows on Twitter this morning about the current transfer situation:

@Alan_Burrows
We’ll have to wait. There are a few moving parts at the moment, so I couldn’t say 100% atm.

@Alan_Burrows
Situation is fluid at the moment. We’re working away, but nothing concrete as we speak.

Probably just as we expect, the club will be in the market for a striker if a decent option comes up. I'm assuming we would need to move someone out to accomodate this though.

It looks like Jake Hastie is going back to Rangers after an "agreement between the two clubs" but from the Rotherham paper article suggesting he was poor when he wasn't in possession, and the fact that he has been an unused sub in 9 of their last 15 games, that would probably tell me it's more on Rotherham's side.

I wonder where he would be now if he'd stayed with us. Cutting in from the right and scoring a worldie most weeks was clearly going to have an expiration point.

We've obviously thrived in his absence, whilst he's not (bank balance aside), but I wonder where I'd place in the pecking order with our current widemen. Below Scott and Hylton probably, but the rest would be up for debate. Not that I would take him back.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but seeing as he has played now for two clubs this season he can't go back out on loan? you can be registered for 3 clubs however can only play in official matches for 2, which Hastie has done with Rangers in the early stages of the Europa league and Rotherham, so it is back to playing reserve football for the next 6 months.

Yeah, right enough, he's played in the Europa League and an appearance in the League Cup too.

If Gerrard is actively trying to punt Barker and Jones, there's an outside chance that he's recalled for backup, but I think it's far more likely to be Rotherham wanting to spend what they're paying of his wages elsewhere.

It's a weird one, his spell in our team had obvious "purple patch" vibes to it and for that reason I don't blame him capitalising on that to earn as much as he could from his next contract.

32 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

And correct me if i'm wrong, but seeing as he has played now for two clubs this season he can't go back out on loan? you can be registered for 3 clubs however can only play in official matches for 2, which Hastie has done with Rangers in the early stages of the Europa league and Rotherham, so it is back to playing reserve football for the next 6 months.

It's unlikely (or maybe not) but they could pap him out on loan (or sell him) to a team on a different calendar and he'd be fine to play. So somewhere like MLS, A-League (?) or Scandinavia.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

It's unlikely (or maybe not) but they could pap him out on loan (or sell him) to a team on a different calendar and he'd be fine to play. So somewhere like MLS, A-League (?) or Scandinavia.

I never actually thought of that to be honest, he was LInked with Atlanta whilst with us so you never know, there season starts back in March I believe.