Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

58 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

My guess with Cole is that Wigan want him off their wage bill entirely.

We were perhaps paying half his wages, but couldn't afford or didn't see the value in paying his full wages and were they to allow him to leave on a free, he wouldn't accept the wage cut that would come with joining us without getting a decent severance package.

Aye. That was pretty much how I imagined it. IIRC Robinson mentioned that we couldn't come to an agreement with Wigan. In that context the comment from Cook seemed a bit strange but less so if we simply wanted to extend the loan on the original terms and they wanted something a bit more permanent.

There's not much value to Wigan in Cole being loaned out again on say 50% of his wage being covered as he walks for nothing in the summer anyway. So either they get someone to take him on a permanent or take on 100% of his wage. Presumably at the time we weren't willing to go all in on him which is kind of fair enough. As much as I like him he's definitely still a work in progress.

Having said all that, it's a bit odd that we've bumped him off the squad list but we've not put up a notice via the socials that he's returned to his parent club - which is kind of a standard courtesy. I though it may have been because the offices had been closed until today but...nada. They may have been scheduled posts but there have been bits and pieces of content gone up over the break too.

Also, the squad fly out for Tenerife tomorrow so I had kind of thought there may have been some sort of confirmation in advance of that.

Edited by capt_oats

How'd folk vote with the team of the decade? 

It was something I'd considered before with @thisGRAEME on a recent Terrace, we've actually got a few selection headaches in there.

(4-4-2)

GK - Randolph

LB - Hammell

CB - Craigan

CB - Hutchinson 

RB - Hateley

MR - Humphrey 

CM - Lasley

CM - Law

ML - Murphy

FW - Higdon

FW - Moult

Edited by AndyRoss

NGL I put my vote in listening to the Patreon and was definitely influenced on the right back shout (a great listen btw).

Randolph
Kipre Hutchinson Craigan Hammell
Ainsworth Lasley Turnbull Murphy
Moult Higdon

Edited by capt_oats

Including Turnbull after 6 good months is a bit out there.

ETA; I know how good he was. I am just mixing it up, I don't think he'd make mine though.

Edited by Busta Nut

Randolph

Tait (absolutely f**k putting Hateley in btw)
Hutchinson
Aldred
Hammell

Lionel
Lasley
Campbell
Murphy

Sutton
Higdon

This team would cause absolute carnage, bodies everywhere. Was surprised at the lack of Big John Sutton incomeing chat on the Patreon FWIW.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

1 hour ago, AndyRoss said:

He always speaks well but bloody hell...that's an absolutely superb listen.

Given the club get a lot of plaudits for their model and strategy it's interesting to hear him talking about being conscious of being left behind by other clubs and what they're doing.

Edited by capt_oats

40 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Oxford paying Columbus a million for Cadden six months after they refused to pay us significantly less in compo surely crosses the line between exploiting a loophole and like, literal money laundering?

Did Aaron Mooy not have the same situation?

Signed for Man City then less than a week later was off to Huddersfield. He just happened to be signed from one of Man Citys "sister" sides, Melbourne, who aren't allowed to receive mega fees from abroad.

53 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Oxford paying Columbus a million for Cadden six months after they refused to pay us significantly less in compo surely crosses the line between exploiting a loophole and like, literal money laundering?

No. The issue was that Oxford were going to pay Columbus a nominal fee that was lower than the compo we would receive. However if they are bidding in the million pound range it justs shows they were idiots to not pay up in the summer.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cadden had other offers from bigger clubs than Oxford in this window. The MLS season is still over a month from starting so there is a chance he won't go to America at all.

We get 5% of any fee for Cadden. So hope he goes for over a million.

My TOTD 

Randolph

Tait  Hutchinson  McManus  Hammell

Ojamaa  Lasley  Turnbull  Murphy 

Moult  Higdon 

Arguably Kipre should be in infront of McManus but the big man was an important player for us for many seasons this decade especially in our key years. 

So.. is there any noise about when Davie Turnbull is expected back yet? Is he away with the squad to Tenerife?  I would have thought the Tenerife break would be a good opportunity to get him up to speed for a return all going well.

On paper it is going to be absolutely wild when he is back to full fitness in this team. Watching Turnbull last year was some of the best skill I've seen on display at Fir Park. This isn't just like a new signing, we will be gaining the best player in the squad by some distance. I can imagine the likes of Long and Scott will be relishing the potential chances created with him back in the middle of the park.

If we could get Turnbull + new striker + new winger we could have a realistic chance of pushing Aberdeen all the way for third.

From speaking to other folk I think I am a bit higher on Cole than most, I think he offers us something different and has a real presence up front. Clearly though his wages must be miles out of our reach as it sounds like we have all but gave up on trying to retain him.

It's going to be difficult to replace Cole but hopefully we go for someone with a similar presence as I thought against Accies our attacking options looked a bit exposed. I mentioned another winger for the same reason. Illic has barely kicked a baw so difficult to judge and Seedorf apart from a couple of bright spots doesn't really seem to be arsed. I can see why we signed him, he definitely has great pace but his lack of tracking back, any sort of fight, zero positioning sense strikes me as someone who is finding the transiition from u20 football to the senior game quite tricky.

57 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

So.. is there any noise about when Davie Turnbull is expected back yet? Is he away with the squad to Tenerife?  I would have thought the Tenerife break would be a good opportunity to get him up to speed for a return all going well.

Link

He’s certainly in the squad going to Tenerife according to the official website. Doesn’t necessarily mean he’s back in training right enough. 

Even if/when he’s given the go ahead to get back to training, he’s not kicked a ball since May. Will probably still be another 4-6 weeks from being anywhere back near the first team.

Might be wrong but I’d be pleasantly surprised if we see much if anything of him before March.

Edited by Casagolda