Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Reading that St Mirren and Aberdeen are after Matty Kennedy from St Johnstone on a pre contract.
Would be surprised if this isn’t one that we are also sounding out. Couldn’t compete with a serious Aberdeen offer, but we could be an appealing proposition as a stepping stone.

4 hours ago, Mitch said:

Reading that St Mirren and Aberdeen are after Matty Kennedy from St Johnstone on a pre contract.
Would be surprised if this isn’t one that we are also sounding out. Couldn’t compete with a serious Aberdeen offer, but we could be an appealing proposition as a stepping stone.

There was mention earlier in the thread from Robinson's comments at the AGM that we'd been patched by a player at a team who had been at the bottom of the league. There weren't any names mentioned but the assumption at the time was it was a St Johnstone player.

It wouldn't be a massive surprise if it was Kennedy I suppose.

On 17/12/2019 at 07:42, Pettigrew said:

Probably. Robinson also mentioned he’d recently failed to entice someone on a pre contract agreement from a team who were at the time at the bottom of the league - I assumed that must have been a St Johnstone player. 

On 17/12/2019 at 08:00, Swello said:

I was at the AGM - I think his point was that whoever the player was (and it had just happened), we had been hugely outbid by a team that was similar/smaller in size to us. It was giving context to the fact that we are the third lowest payers in the league even with the expanded budget this year. 

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There was mention earlier in the thread from Robinson's comments at the AGM that we'd been patched by a player at a team who had been at the bottom of the league. There weren't any names mentioned but the assumption at the time was it was a St Johnstone player.

It wouldn't be a massive surprise if it was Kennedy I suppose.

Would be interesting if it were, as we hadn't even spoken to him at the time of that quote, confirmed by both player and manager, so can only presume its St Mirren who have given him the huge contract offer.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would be interesting if it were, as we hadn't even spoken to him at the time of that quote, confirmed by both player and manager, so can only presume its St Mirren who have given him the huge contract offer.

Aye, I mean I wasn't at the AGM so I'm only going by the comments after the fact.

Depending on context there's every chance Robinson didn't literally mean the team in 12th place at the time. The AGM was 16th December so in the weeks prior to that yourselves, Hearts, St Mirren and Accies were all at "the bottom of the league" so to speak. It's hard to think of too many out of contract players at those sides we'd be looking at though - especially ones who'd get an offer in that would blow us out the water at this stage.

We seem to like a player who can play across the front 3 so I can see why Kennedy would appeal. Also, we've had a decent bit of luck picking up folk like Gallagher and Polworth from other Scottish sides too rather than us going to the English non-league well again.

What's MOH's contract situation, I mean, is it even a transfer window if we're not trying to sign him?

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I mean I wasn't at the AGM so I'm only going by the comments after the fact.

Depending on context there's every chance Robinson didn't literally mean the team in 12th place at the time. The AGM was 16th December so in the weeks prior to that yourselves, Hearts, St Mirren and Accies were all at "the bottom of the league" so to speak. It's hard to think of too many out of contract players at those sides we'd be looking at though - especially ones who'd get an offer in that would blow us out the water at this stage.

We seem to like a player who can play across the front 3 so I can see why Kennedy would appeal. Also, we've had a decent bit of luck picking up folk like Gallagher and Polworth from other Scottish sides too rather than us going to the English non-league well again.

What's MOH's contract situation, I mean, is it even a transfer window if we're not trying to sign him?

Kennedy makes the most sense out of anything I can think of, tbh.

MOH is one of the few players we have contracted beyond this season, alongside Clark, Kerr, Wotherspoon and Wallace fucking Duffy.

13 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Would we even be able to talk to Kennedy before January? I know that sounds naive and things go on in the background but players, managers, agents etc. are normally pretty reticent about talking about discussions if they shouldn't be happening.

AFAIK the rule is that a player is able to discuss a pre-contract 6 months from the expiry of his current contract so if the deal runs out at the end of May then they'd be able to talk to other clubs in December. Presumably that's why some of ours run til the end of June eg: Tait. The January thing is arbitrary - a kind of shorthand on account of the transfer windows.

According to Transfermarkt Kennedy's deal is up at the end of May so he/his rep would have been able to talk to other clubs 6 months prior.

Edited by capt_oats

13 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Would we even be able to talk to Kennedy before January? I know that sounds naive and things go on in the background but players, managers, agents etc. are normally pretty reticent about talking about discussions if they shouldn't be happening.

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

AFAIK the rule is that a player is able to discuss a pre-contract 6 months from the expiry of his contract so if the contract runs out at the end of May then they'd be able to talk to other clubs in December. Presumably that's why some of ours run til the end of June eg: Tait. The January thing is arbitrary - a kind of shorthand on account of the transfer windows.

According to Transfermarkt Kennedy's deal is up at the end of May so he/his rep would have been able to talk to other clubs 6 months prior.

The season ends in May, so St Johnstones players contracts end in May. Can't be paying people to be on holiday.

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Squad.

ENd91nOWoAMMncw?format=jpg&name=4096x409

945265449_ScreenShot2020-01-04at21_53_44.thumb.png.a990864c437a3c9de7495d7a613c061a.png

Looking at that squad and how they performed, I always wonder what might have been if the two eejits on the outside of the front row had their predecessors sitting on those seats instead. 

I dont know whether it's because of my age at the time (15) that makes me look back on that team with rose tinted glasses on but I have so many of my all time favourite players in that squad,  big Buff Martin, Mio, Softie, Lambert, Dolan, Davies, uncle Phil, Coyne and Dougie.  That's not even mentioning the super sub. 

Also it's incredibly sad to look and see that probably 3 of the 4 youngest members in that photo are no longer with us. 

2 hours ago, weemac said:

I dont know whether it's because of my age at the time (15) that makes me look back on that team with rose tinted glasses on but I have so many of my all time favourite players in that squad,  big Buff Martin, Mio, Softie, Lambert, Dolan, Davies, uncle Phil, Coyne and Dougie.  That's not even mentioning the super sub. 

Nah, I think there are a few of us on here who were a similar age at that point and hold the same view.

Like @Swello's post on the other page it's easily my favourite Motherwell team. No question.

It's mentioned regularly (especially in international and winter breaks) but diving into gobstoppr68's YouTube channel is genuinely a rare treat.

Yes, we lost but the Dortmund games from that season...fucking hell.

Edited by capt_oats