Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 hours ago, ropy said:

What was the game where he went back and spoke to the keeper, send it long to me on the left, a goal ensued?

9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

think the Hibs game, but I'll try and check on wyscout tomorrow if I get the chance.

14 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Craig Cathcart and Paddy McNair talking Robinson up for the NI job now...

Also murmurings this morning about Hearts being set to approach Motherwell to speak to him as well.

Which, going by some of the names they’ve interviewed so far, wouldn’t surprise me. I’d be underwhelmed if Motherwell’s shortlist for a manager included Neil McCann, Billy McKinlay and Stuart McCall.   

Which gives me the fear about the level of candidate available to us if/when Robinson does depart. 

18 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Correct. Well, his rant after no Celtic players were nominated.

“Don’t start me on that, it beggars belief. We make the semi-final of the League Cup, get to the final of the Scottish Cup, win the championship, make the last 16 in Europe, we beat Barcelona, we beat Spartak Moscow and put the country on the map once again as far as Scottish football is concerned."

“I have no idea how the voting goes but you can’t tell me that Forster, Wanyama, Commons, Hooper and Kelvin Wilson weren’t in the forefront of people’s minds when the votes were being made. It’s ridiculous."

“After the outcome yesterday there is a lot of ill-will in the dressing room. The players are very disappointed with it."

This is what really acquires my caprine. After achieving the bare minimum with an enormous advantage over literally everyone else, they still wanted to be lauded as if they've just cured cancer.

16 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Which gives me the fear about the level of candidate available to us if/when Robinson does depart. 

It's pretty much a done deal that Lasley will get the job when Robinson goes.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

It's pretty much a done deal that Lasley will get the job when Robinson goes.

Can we not do what we do with young players and send Lasley out on loan to manage a lower division team until the end of the season? :)

Las has the credentials to do the job but the Mo Malpas Experience has left me nervous about promoting assistant managers...

25 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Also murmurings this morning about Hearts being set to approach Motherwell to speak to him as well.

Which, going by some of the names they’ve interviewed so far, wouldn’t surprise me. I’d be underwhelmed if Motherwell’s shortlist for a manager included Neil McCann, Billy McKinlay and Stuart McCall.   

Billy McKinlay was linked with the job back when McCall resigned so we've already been there: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29996552

I'm kind of in the same place re: Lasley tbh but given he was rumoured to have been in for the job when Robinson got it and his stint as an assistant seems to have been an apprenticeship of sorts it feels like a natural succession.

I suppose if he was to get the job in a situation where he wasn't being asked to fire-fight it might be slightly different though equally the Mo Malpas experience still looms large in terms of a handover.

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I suppose if he was to get the job in a situation where he wasn't being asked to fire-fight it might be slightly different though equally the Mo Malpas experience still looms large in terms of a handover.

Understandable that folk are nervous, but then by the same token, it's more or less the path that Robinson took. Would expect Mo Ross to join Lasley at the higher level as well.

38 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

My overbearing memory of this night was Wanyama being asked to fill in at centre half and getting bullied for 90 minutes by the big man.

What a guy. 

I just mind it was the start of an unbeaten run which was probably that Motherwell side at it’s absolute peak - bookended by those two beatings we dished out to Celtic. 

Also included a win at Tynecastle, bodying Utd at Tannadice and thumping Hibs on the Friday night at Fir Park. 

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Which also gives me the fear. 

I like Lasley but as @Swello says above, the idea of handing him the managers job just doesn’t sit well with me. 

Likewise. No one should simply be 'handed' the job, especially when we were stung so spectacularly badly the last time we did this with Malpas replacing Butcher because he had been 'promised' the job. When Robinson moves on we should follow the correct process, advertise the job, interview candidates and appoint the best one we can get.

I like Keith Lasley alot, but the idea of him managing us gives me the fear.

I'd imagine Robinson has known for a while that O'Neill was angling for a move and that he would probably be the prime candidate to take over. You'd hope that mean the club has been able to be more prepared than usual for the eventuality, either in drawing up a shortlist or grooming Lasley on the job.

0_JS198830791.jpg

Link

Some more Robinson chat this morning, this time from Gallagher on the back of his Scotland debut. 

Have to say, I was delighted when we signed him this summer. I thought he’d be a decent replacement for Aldred but he’s gone beyond that- certainly never envisaged he’d work his way into the Scotland reckoning.

His age/past probably counts against him, otherwise I imagine he wouldn’t be here(not for long anyway). Was good to see his form rewarded with a Scotland cap though, even if some fortunate timing has played it’s part. 

Edited by Casagolda