Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Desp said:

We'd be funding the building of a new stadium from the sale of the existing one. 

If we are simply knocking down and rebuilding half of our current stadium, where is the money coming from to do this? Also, isn't a well known secret that the South Stand was built fairly poorly, as well? 

The sale of FP will never stretch to a new rebuild, we would have to get some other financial backing, or go into debt. 

1 minute ago, Swello said:

It wouldn't fully finance it, correct but you'd have the Sale of Fir Park money as a big down-payment. I'm no expert - but I'd imagine that the rest would be made up of Grants, Sponsorship and other external funding - and a big f**k-off mortgage (assuming we're allowed one these days) to bridge the gap.

So if we're going to rely on sponsorship and external funding, why don't we just do that to build a new main stand and stay where we are? 

1 minute ago, Swello said:

It wouldn't fully finance it, correct but you'd have the Sale of Fir Park money as a big down-payment. I'm no expert - but I'd imagine that the rest would be made up of Grants, Sponsorship and other external funding - and a big f**k-off mortgage (assuming we're allowed one these days) to bridge the gap.

So if we're going to rely on sponsorship and external funding, why don't we just do that to build a new main stand and stay where we are? 

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I think it comes down to more than just the Main Stand, unfortunately.

I'd rather we stayed at Fir Park but there becomes a point where it's no longer financially viable. The Main Stand is obviously ancient and made of wood so requires constant upkeep. The East Stand is falling to bits and the South Stand seems to have been built on a budget in the first place. I'm not sure what the Cooper is like these days but assuming that 3 of the 4 stands are constantly costing money, it would make more sense long term to simply build a new stadium rather than rebuilding the Main Stand and continuing the constant upkeep of at least 2 of the other 3 stands.

2 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Because the #(made up by me :)) external funding and sponsorship would likely not be available if it's just a new stand - and in any case, if we have a new main stand, we'd still be left with an ancient converted terracing and two "new" stands that are already showing their age to see us through the next 50-100 years...

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

I'm not sure how us selling Fir Park to a housing developer, would ever be enough to finance a new fitba ground... 

... Say we sell it for £10,000,000...which is probably being very generous, where does the rest of the cash come from for a 10,000 seater stadium that isnae just four wee breeze block and sheet cladding stands? 

The financial strategy of selling the old stadium to finance a new build only works if you're moving from a relatively valuable site to a shitty area on the edge of town that nobody really wants to go to.

Motherwell could achieve this simply by playing at New Douglas Park

Hibs sacking Heckingbottom might have some interesting butterfly effects on us. I don't think Hibs will be in for Robinson because their weird delusions of grandeur wouldn't tolerate his style of play. They'll probably be shopping in the exact same market as Hearts though, and I reckon they'll both feel a bit of pressure from the support to get the better candidate. I get the impression Hearts fans aren't overly enamored with Robinson already but if Hibs manage to appoint a name I could see Budge and co pushing the boat out a bit more for someone with pedigree.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

I think Hibs would be more likely to come in for Robinson than Hearts. 

When all else is said and done he has taken a mid ranking club with a lowish budget to 3rd place over the course of all of 2019 NOT just this season. 

Hope both go for big names and it blows up in their faces. We do not want both or either to start tearing up the table, although it is likely for at least one of them to improve sadly. 

Edited by welldaft

14 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hibs sacking Heckingbottom might have some interesting butterfly effects on us. I don't think Hibs will be in for Robinson because their weird delusions of grandeur wouldn't tolerate his style of play. They'll probably be shopping in the exact same market as Hearts though, and I reckon they'll both feel a bit of pressure from the support to get the better candidate. I get the impression Hearts fans aren't overly enamored with Robinson already but if Hibs manage to appoint a name I could see Budge and co pushing the boat out a bit more for someone with pedigree.

Given there's none of the historic baggage at Hibs that he has at Tynecastle I'd have thought Jack Ross would be a shoo-in for that job.

Similarly reading the quotes from Budge at her press conference that @Swello linked to earlier it sounded like the profile they're looking for largely rules out Robinson: "We want a very experienced and high profile manager."

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, Desp said:

That's a good point about Robinson, Swello. He would go from being a manager at Motherwell to a Head Coach at Hearts. 

In saying that, I still believe he would take it if he was offered it (although I don't believe Hearts will offer it to him). 

When Robinson eventually does move on, having Keith Lasley as the manager gives me the fear. 

Looks like he's ER bound.

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

I think Hibs would be more likely to come in for Robinson than Hearts. 

When all else is said and done he has taken a mid ranking club with a lowish budget to 3rd place over the course of all of 2019 NOT just this season. 

Hope both go for big names and it blows up in their faces. We do not want both or either to start tearing up the table, although it is likely for at least one of them to improve sadly. 

For either of them to tear up the table they need to beat all the teams below us, happy days.