Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:
Particularly harsh on Sammon there tbqh.
Fletcher or Robinson could easily have been in with a shout although my choice would have been the man himself...
4256FDEF00000578-4697140-image-a-22_1500045129325.jpg&key=ebddd1d579979d21e9a7879b7f8f13ad8e1493a5e7bc956a5ad9281aa4773a25

I fucking hate Jacob Blyth's stupid fucking face the fucking useless c**t.

Him posing at his grans funeral

3 hours ago, Desp said:

To be honest, those were the only positions I was unsure about.  Loved Keith Lasley, and still do, but was he a better player than Jennings or Law?  Not for me. 

Similar with Lionel, he was pure box office, but I absolutely adored Humphrey.   There would a strong bench to go along with my first XI, of that there is no doubt. 

I think Las would edge out Jennings or Law just on longevity. I always think that he's written off as a player too, Lasley was a very capable player and a major part of many of our good sides over the years. 

Not hiding how much I love the man here. 

55 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Particularly harsh on Sammon there tbqh.

Fletcher or Robinson could easily have been in with a shout although my choice would have been the man himself...

4256FDEF00000578-4697140-image-a-22_1500

I initially went for Sammon over Robinson for prolonged shiteness, but tbh I fucked it by including Belic and McCormack so aye probably unfair on the big man. No idea how I forgot Blyth tbh.

Kieran Kennedy deserves a mention in the worst team. Nathan Thomas is another who I'd like to put forward, I remember taking in a rare under-20s game and despite being one of the more experienced players on the park, he stood out like a sore thumb as the worst player on the pitch.

He's went on to do fairly well after leaving us (which probably suggests he just couldn't be arsed) and got a move to Sheffield United, though just now he's out on loan at Carlisle. 

If Jim Gannon hated ye(Las, Crags, Hammell), yer in my team of the decade. He also hated Steve McGarry but thankfully he's not in contention as he probably didn't play in the few days of Jan 2010 he was there.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

If Jim Gannon hated ye(Las, Crags, Hammell), yer in my team of the decade. He also hated Steve McGarry but thankfully he's not in contention as he probably didn't play in the few days of Jan 2010 he was there.

Hugh Dallas at centre forward presumably?

FFS! You're all fucking idiots.

Straker

Straker    Straker   Straker  Chalmers

Straker   Straker

Straker    Straker      Straker

Straker

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

10 hours ago, Desp said:

Taking this further a wee bit, what would our Team of the Decade be?  Would it simply be the second half of our 2012/13 team or would anyone else nudge in?  Would folk go with Moult over Higdon?  Play them together?  Is Davie Turnbull's sensational six months enough to get him in?

Quite clearly, that 2012/13 dominates my selection, but I've made room for one of my favourite players over the last 20 years, and also a player who I believe is the finest talent to come out of Fir Park in my time watching Motherwell.

Randolph

Hateley   Craigan  Hutchinson  Hammell

Jennings  Law

Humphrey   Turnbull      McFadden

Higdon

Manager:  Stephen Robinson

Minus me a little bit of Craigan and add me a little bit of Marvin Johnson and you’ve made me one spicy meatball. 

What about game of the decade?

The obvious standouts are the two playoff legs, 6-6 v Hibs, 3-0 v Aberdeen in the League Cup QF, 2-0 v Rangers at Hampden, 3-0 v Dundee United in the 2011 Scottish Cup.

For me I would need to go for the away leg of the playoff, that was a hugely significant and ultimately enjoyable night and completely unexpected. The feeling and celebrations when Ainsworth scored the third goal was incredible, after seeing many a Motherwell no show in games like this and many a heavy defeat at that ground, to be 3-0 up at Ibrox felt totally surreal. It was a great goal too. For as awful as we were that season, our attitude that night was spot on, we went out there and went for the win, where previous Motherwell teams and Motherwell managers would have went there with the usual inferiority complex and tried to play for a 0-0 and ended up losing 3-0 (Hiya Stuart McCall) but for once we gave them nothing.

I think Moult's a bit of a curious case as IMO there's a recency bias around him that skews things.

That isn't to say he was anything other than a fucking brilliant player for us but his Motherwell career was very much an upward trajectory so the player he became, in particular the 6 months under Robinson before he left - where he was lobbing goalkeepers from 25 yards and generally cutting about the place like he was Lewandowski - eclipses the memory of player he was when he arrived at the club where he was good but far less complete.

It's easy to forget that Moult was behind Wes Fletcher when he signed and his general play at that point wasn't anything like level it was when he left. He was as consistent a goalscorer as we've had in recent seasons but in his first season I don't think he scored from further out than 12 yards. A wild proportion of his early goals were 6 yard box tap ins (a skill in itself as Devante Cole would attest) - which isn't a complaint or criticism but it's interesting that there are a few comments about Higdon relying on the likes of Ojamaa and Humphrey. For me Moult benefitted as much from playing alongside McDonald and Johnson.

There's no doubt that Moult carried the team on his back in McGhee's shitshow of a season proper but I'm not sure McGhee fucking up by sticking Samson in goals or signing Zak Jules and just generally not being able to keep a clean sheet pushes Moult ahead of Higdon's contribution in an excellent Motherwell side. I'd happily concede that Moult's goals, all things told, were more important because the alternative was probably relegation. Which would have been bad.

I seem to remember McFadden talking about Moult on the radio and saying that when he arrived at the club even in training he wasn't able to hit a shot of note from outside the box. It turned out to be a groin issue he had that he eventually got tidied up and the result was a rapid upward curve in performance. Similarly in terms of physicality early on Moult was pretty weak, the few times we tried to play him as a lone striker he was dominated and generally brushed off the ball by centre backs. It's a side of his game he clearly worked on during his time at the club and tbf though he's injured at the moment looking at him since he's moved to Preston he's went up another level physically there as well.

In a way Moult is pretty much the embodiment of the club's current business model. A player who had clear potential and developed into a great Motherwell player. However the version of Moult who arrived at the club wasn't the same level as Higdon IMO. It took him a while to get there and for the purpose of this discussion that's probably where I'd draw the distinction.

Edited by capt_oats

12 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Higdon was by no means just the big target man that I think a lot of opposing fans thought he was. It's easy to forget that he was very capable of pinging them in from distance (go on, someone put up the clip of his goal at Tannadice).

Oh hai...

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

What's the story about Higdon at Crewe again? Something about youth coaches realising at the age of about 15 that there was no point trying to teach him how to run about or track back and just let him work on his finishing and ball control all day instead? :lol:

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil