Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 hours ago, ropy said:

Joshy Law?  2 European goals on his debut?

I actually liked Josh Law but he epitomised what we'd become during the end of McCall's tenure.

Signed for no other reason than he was Nicky Law's brother. Started as an attacking player before somehow ending up at right back. He always tried which is why I liked him but he was way out of his depth.

Was the story at the time not something like McCall being a family friend of the Laws, hence why Nicky and later Josh joined? You could tell McCall was done at Fir Park when Law jnr joined.

Louis Moult was a fantastic footballer for Motherwell, but let's be honest guys.  He was nowhere near the player Michael Higdon was. 

Similar to the earlier poster, Higdon is only just behind Tommy Coyne as my favourite Motherwell player. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Was the story at the time not something like McCall being a family friend of the Laws, hence why Nicky and later Josh joined? You could tell McCall was done at Fir Park when Law jnr joined.

I hadn't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Between signing Josh Law, "footgolf", Fraser Kerr at right wing and that shambles of a season as a whole (bar 1 or 2 games at the end...) it's brilliant to be in the position we are now.

10 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I hadn't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Between signing Josh Law, "footgolf", Fraser Kerr at right wing and that shambles of a season as a whole (bar 1 or 2 games at the end...) it's brilliant to be in the position we are now.

The manner of the playoff victory often makes you forget at times just how awful we were that season and probably kept Baraclough in the job longer than he might have been.

I would put that season into four sections when looking back.

The first section was from July - November and the downfall of McCall starting with footgolf, then the Icelandic debacle to that horrible run from mid September until McCall chucking it. Then the second section with our managerless/Kenny Black period starting with the Friday night win over Dundee United when it looked like there might be a bit of hope. The third section was the arrival of Baraclough and after his initial chat about winning the league we entered that utterly hopeless run from New Year's Day until late February, the influx of new signings, the occasional big win against Accies and St.Mirren before we were finally condemned to the playoffs.

The fourth and final part was the playoffs themselves when we did what many of us thought completely unthinkable and hammered Rangers 6-1 over two games, condemning them to lower league football for another year and ensured that Stuart McCall had an even more miserable end to the season at Fir Park than his beginning to it.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

He 100% is/was.  McCall would also have been part of the coaching staff at Sheff Utd when Nicky Law was there breaking through. 

I actually felt quite sorry for Josh Law.  That weird spell he had in the first quarter of the season when McCall played him in the same position that Nicky played was horrendous - he was so far out of his depth it was unreal.  While he will never go down as the finest right-back we've ever had, you could never fault his effort and I was chuffed for him to get it right up his brother in the playoffs. 

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:16, VivaMotherwell said:

Alright folks,

Apologies if this isn’t allowed but I’m running a wee player of the decade tournament and trying to get as many responses as I can, if anyone could fill this out it’d be greatly appreciated emoji16.png

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YTTMRQ3

Taking this further a wee bit, what would our Team of the Decade be?  Would it simply be the second half of our 2012/13 team or would anyone else nudge in?  Would folk go with Moult over Higdon?  Play them together?  Is Davie Turnbull's sensational six months enough to get him in?

Quite clearly, that 2012/13 dominates my selection, but I've made room for one of my favourite players over the last 20 years, and also a player who I believe is the finest talent to come out of Fir Park in my time watching Motherwell.

Randolph

Hateley   Craigan  Hutchinson  Hammell

Jennings  Law

Humphrey   Turnbull      McFadden

Higdon

Manager:  Stephen Robinson

11 minutes ago, Desp said:

Randolph

Jennings  Law

Higdon

Can you imagine how good that team would be if it had all of them at their peak(for us anyway)? Randolph is/was one of the best goalkeepers I've seen at Fir Park and Hammell is a guy we've never replaced. The thought of a 2002/03 James McFadden playing in an attacking line with 2012/13 Humphrey and 2018/19 Turnbull is sensual.

Personally, I’d probably have Lionel(especially his first two seasons) over Humphrey. Other than that, it’s hard to disagree.

Fully agree on Jennings btw, such an underrated player. Would love to have someone like him in our current midfield. 

19 minutes ago, Desp said:

Taking this further a wee bit, what would our Team of the Decade be?  Would it simply be the second half of our 2012/13 team or would anyone else nudge in?  Would folk go with Moult over Higdon?  Play them together?  Is Davie Turnbull's sensational six months enough to get him in?

Quite clearly, that 2012/13 dominates my selection, but I've made room for one of my favourite players over the last 20 years, and also a player who I believe is the finest talent to come out of Fir Park in my time watching Motherwell.

Randolph

Jennings  Law

Higdon

Love this team - but not to see Las or Ainsworth in there hurts a bit :)

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

Love this team - but not to see Las or Ainsworth in there hurts a bit :)

To be honest, those were the only positions I was unsure about.  Loved Keith Lasley, and still do, but was he a better player than Jennings or Law?  Not for me. 

Similar with Lionel, he was pure box office, but I absolutely adored Humphrey.   There would a strong bench to go along with my first XI, of that there is no doubt. 

11 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

Peak Ojamma on the bench, pushing for starting spot.

Agreed.

Can’t really justify having him in ahead of Turnbull but he was a real favourite of mine as well.

Watching him run down blind alleys, surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders before somehow popping out the other side with the ball was always great to watch. 

11 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Agreed.

Can’t really justify having him in ahead of Turnbull but he was a real favourite of mine as well.

Watching him run down blind alleys, surrounded by 2 or 3 defenders before somehow popping out the other side with the ball was always great to watch. 

THE PISTOLS!  Had forgotten all about them - sure at the back of some cupboard at home I have an "Ojamma - new Sheriff in town" mug gathering dust.

How about the Worst?

Samson

Laing Jules Cummins Angol

Kerr* Taylor Clay Belic

Sammon McCormack

I think it says a lot about our recruitment that it feels quite harsh including a lot of these guys. We've had players who haven't been up to the standard required but few total wasters. 

*only included as an auxillary right winger. He was fine as a backup defender/Kenny Miller batterer. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

29 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

How about the Worst?

Samson

Laing Jules Cummins Angol

Kerr* Taylor Clay Belic

Sammon McCormack

I think it says a lot about our recruitment that it feels quite harsh including a lot of these guys. We've had players who haven't been up to the standard required but few total wasters. 

*only included as an auxillary right winger. He was fine as a backup defender/Kenny Miller batterer. 

Particularly harsh on Sammon there tbqh.

Fletcher or Robinson could easily have been in with a shout although my choice would have been the man himself...

4256FDEF00000578-4697140-image-a-22_1500

Edited by capt_oats

Particularly harsh on Sammon there tbqh.
Fletcher or Robinson could easily have been in with a shout although my choice would have been the man himself...
4256FDEF00000578-4697140-image-a-22_1500045129325.jpg&key=ebddd1d579979d21e9a7879b7f8f13ad8e1493a5e7bc956a5ad9281aa4773a25
I fucking hate Jacob Blyth's stupid fucking face the fucking useless c**t.