Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

If it was up to me I'd have Moult & McDonald as my main strikers, Johnson in his free-roaming attacking role, and Moore +1 in reserve.

When you add in Thomas and Ainsworth (who would really not be of much use as part of the midfield 3) we've effectively got 6 attackers for 3 places in the starting line up. Would we look to add a seventh? I doubt it unfortunately.

Even though he's very close to being of first team quality, I'd shift Thomas out on loan this season. We've seen how the likes of Erwin and Moore have benefited from a spell in the lower divisions in recent years, and I'm sure Ferguson and Mackin will have as well. Although he'd probably be of use to us this season, I don't think we'd really miss him. Johnson is way ahead of him, and Ainsworth would likely be preferred over him as well. I'd loan him out and try and bring in another centre forward, whether it's a young guy with potential to sell on, or someone in loan from down south. I think Moore is decent, but I wouldn't like to rely on him if Moult/McDonald were to break a leg or something.

I'm not too concerned about our attacking options tbf (as long as McDonald stays). Whatever McGhee does or doesn't do we'll probably have better options there than most.

It's what happens with our defence and central midfield that will be key...

Edited by rambunctious

I'd agree with that. If our attack going into the new season is those five (hoping McDonald signs), Thomas out on loan (even if it's just a 6 month loan) and maybe bringing in another striker I think we'd be in decent shape. McGhee has tended not to start both Ainsworth and Johnson so to then have Thomas as a third option for that role when he could be out getting good experience seems a waste.

Agree on points made on Samson. Perfectly happy for him to be our first choice this season, good level of experience in the league and can't imagine we'd get better on a budget. Is capable of a mistake or two but so was Ripley. Other than perhaps his kicking, I doubt there was much between those two.

In defence, I'm quite happy with McManus and Kennedy as our central pairing. Neither outstanding and I do think we could probably get better than McManus for the wage I'm sure he picks up but we wouldn't get the same experience. He'll be essential for Hall's development too. Should perhaps be the season when we start to see Watt coming through as well.

Midfield is the main concern for me. Cadden was great for us when he stepped up last season after a surprisingly gaping hole was left by Grimshaw in January. He isn't the type of midfielder we need though I don't think. I thought Jake Taylor or Gomis would be until both turned out to be rubbish.

Cadden was great for us when he stepped up last season after a surprisingly gaping hole was left by Grimshaw in January. He isn't the type of midfielder we need though I don't think. I thought Jake Taylor or Gomis would be until both turned out to be rubbish.

Am I misreading this?  Cadden isn't the type of midfielder we need?  Surely not.

Am I misreading this? Cadden isn't the type of midfielder we need? Surely not.

Possibly misreading as Cadden is clearly an excellent option in midfield however I'd have said we desperately need a good holding/defensive midfielder which on the face of it isn't Cadden's game.

I'd also say we could use someone to rotate with Pearson as well.

Am I misreading this?  Cadden isn't the type of midfielder we need?  Surely not.

Possibly misreading as Cadden is clearly an excellent option in midfield however I'd have said we desperately need a good holding/defensive midfielder which on the face of it isn't Cadden's game.

I'd also say we could use someone to rotate with Pearson as well.

Yeh my apologies, poorly worded. My point was that Grimshaw had a fair engine to break up play and get forward a bit and Cadden in taking his place doesn't bring the same qualities defensively. Cadden was an excellent player for us for the second half of the season.

I see, got you now.

Cadden & Pearson are fairly similar players, but I believe they could work well together in a midfield three.  It's all about finding the defensive midfielder to hold it all together.  What Margaro Gomis should have been, basically. 

Seriously though, what I wouldn't give to have Jennings from 4 years ago in the centre of our midfield next season.

Or just any sort of central defensive midfielder with a good reading of the game and a sense of positional discipline. The amount of times one ball takes out our entire midfield and the defence is left exposed is frightening.

To be fair young Campbell looked very impressive in there in the youth cup final, hopefully see him get some game time next season.

I'd agree. We need a midfielder who is just there to sit in front of the defence and break things up. With Cadden & Pearson on the break I'm not concerned about attacking options.

A left back is needed as well as Stevie Hammell isn't getting any younger, and Joe Chalmers is shit.

Seriously though, what I wouldn't give to have Jennings from 4 years ago in the centre of our midfield next season.

Or just any sort of central defensive midfielder with a good reading of the game and a sense of positional discipline. The amount of times one ball takes out our entire midfield and the defence is left exposed is frightening.

To be fair young Campbell looked very impressive in there in the youth cup final, hopefully see him get some game time next season.

This.

To be honest, we have never really replaced Steve Jennings or filled that 'Jennings role' since he left. Basically someone to to the very simplest of things, hold possession in the middle and protect the backline. Nothing spectacular but did the job that was asked of them.

Just been out for tea in St Andrews and Pearson, Clarkson and another guy I'm sure played for you were at the next table. Blond hair, but of designer stubble, shorter than Clarkson and reasonably good looking apparently - can't remember his name - any ideas?

Anyway they were extremely understated, no tattoos and seemed like 3 pretty decent guys. Shîte story but just couldn't get the 3rd guys name.

For some reason the only blonde ex Motherwell player I can think of is Ritchie Foran. Sorry fifespud that's all I've got it's too early.

Has Brian Kerr not been helping coaching with some of the academy groups alongside Lasley, McFadden, Hammell, McManus et al.

Has Brian Kerr not been helping coaching with some of the academy groups alongside Lasley, McFadden, Hammell, McManus et al.

I'd forgotten Brian Kerr existed. No idea on the coaching side of things I'm afraid.

Yeah Brian Kerr has been involved in coaching one of the youth teams as well, i think he may be doing the under 15s with Stevie Hammell.  It seems like whatever guys we have coachng whether its players or ex players they seem to be producing a great calibre of player to go into the under 20s set up.