Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Think the midfield 3 are all capable but every single of one of them was hiding tonight.  And there was then nothing to link a defence that seriously can't take the ball out from the back, to a front line that couldn't get anything to stick. 

On the few occasions Campbell or Polworth went looking for the ball and tried to do something with it, we looked vaguely threatening. Other than that, nothing to be excited about going forward.

Ridiculous that we were still in a position to score and possibly take that to ET tonight because the performance was dreadful, more or less to a man.

Going to be a long season if we don't change something.

Absolute chronic watching Dunne and Gallagher pass the ball between themselves. Playing the ball out from goal kicks lets the opposition strikers pick up our midfielders too.

We aren't going to pass our way from the back through teams. Some variety in our play would go a long way to making space for the midfielders. Direct balls into the striker with midfielders looking the the 2nd ball wasn't tried at all tonight. Donnelly, Polworth and Campbell were drawn far too deep instead of imposing themselves up the park. We need a creative player in the middle. Polworth isn't good enough for that role imo.

Hopefully Caroll comes back in and gives up some distribution since neither Tait or Grimshaw looked capable of playing a simple ball up the line.

Cole looked uncomfortable on the wing, Seedorf couldn't get the ball under control, Hylton was a headless chicken. I didn't think Scott was the issue in the first half. We just never got support around him.

28 minutes ago, MJC said:

Utter shite from us tonight. 

Another summer of signing utter shite is coming home to roost early doors and for me there is only one outcome that is acceptable...Robinson OUT.

Got too admit over the past two games bar the first 20 mins against Celtic we have been utter pish. But sacking Robinson isn't going to be answer.  I can just see Lasley taken over and it could get worse

So after some brief optimism after steamrolling our way through the League Cup Group, we are in for another season of consistently wavering between mediocre and shite. Jolly good. Carry on.

For all Dunne was taking pellets for his diagonals, not one of our midfielders we’re giving him an option. Donnelly was hiding and Campbell has been well bellow par in the last three games. Polworth to be fair had spells and did good work for our goal. We miss Gorrin so fucking badly.

Hylton barely touched the ball and was rightly hooked. Is Illic a footballer? He certainly not a right winger anyway. He also contributed next to nothing. I think Seedorf has something and will eventually come good.

Devante Cole is never a winger and he should start upfront vs Accies. Scott will come good. I’m still not convinced by Long. His goal aside he never held the ball up and didn’t link play.

f**k knows why Gillespie came out for the second penalty? The defence were too slow to pass it as well.

Well fans 3 will be some laugh if we lose next week.

Robinson’s interview is up on Twitter and while it can be dangerous to try assess a game so soon after the event there’s just so many warning signs after tonight.

Again he’s indicated we’ve got the level of player we’ve recruited because that’s all we can afford.

A lot of the blame is placed on the performances of the new players and concerns about the fitness levels have been brought up again.

He does mention that we need to get up to speed and do it fast, but if we’re unsure of the quality of the guys he’s brought in, where will that take us?

From very early on tonight we just weren’t at the races, comical defending for their first penalty, the opening goal comes from us switching off at a throw in and Hylton doesn’t bother to track his man.

Don’t know how much a part the conditions played in the second goal, but Gillespie didn’t look too clever. I thought it would be harsh to drop him after Celtic and he did make a big save to keep us in it late on tonight, though the case for Carson keeps getting stronger.

Even when we got a goal back, the only time we threatened was from one of three successive Liam Polworth set pieces that didn’t beat the first man.

It was just utterly shite from start to finish.

I think it’s too early to write off any of the new guys, though that tonight was as bad as anything we produced during our awful spell during the first half of last season.

Devante Cole is never a winger and he should start upfront vs Accies. Scott will come good. I’m still not convinced by Long. His goal aside he never held the ball up and didn’t link play.

I’ve thought Cole looks totally disinterested so far. Saying that, it’s a big ask to bring him on and expect him to turn games in our favour.

No getting away from it, that was absolutely brutal tonight.

Another week, another poor mistake by Gillespie right on half time. The back four in front of him weren’t up to much either mind.

The balance in the midfield is/was all wrong. We badly miss Gorrin in there, both in terms of sitting protecting the defence and his ability to build from from deep. 

I’m now getting on board with @Desp’s 352 shout, for the time being at least. We simply don’t seem to have the wingers at the minute to play 433 or a number 9 to play the lone strike role effectively. Worryingly going by Robinson’s interview with the BBC after the game, we might not be seeing anyone else come in before the window shuts either. 

Slow, ponderous and lacking quality in possession. Equally worrying once again was just how weak and naive we were without the ball. Just a really poor night all round, with no real positives to take and lot more questions being asked. 

Edited by Casagolda

If Robinson seriously thinks that "we've got the level of player recruited because that's all we can afford" then we are well and truly fucked. We knew before last season had ended that we needed to address the forward line, the wings and attacking midfield, just like we did in summer 2018 when we failed miserably to do so. And yet despite Robinson having one more year under his belt we have yet again failed in the transfer market. I hate to go on like a broken record but it is so painfully obvious that we have signed a crop of utter shite over the summer and Seedorf, Hylton, Long and Ilic just WILL..NOT..DO at the level we are supposed to be competing at. Hylton and Seedorf may have looked okay/the part against lower league sides like Morton but at SPFL level they look like fish out of water and it is painful watching them trying to compete, indeed that was obvious against Livingston two weeks ago, never mind against Celtic and then Hearts.

I questioned whether giving Robinson and Lasley an extended two year deal was a gamble at the time it happened, given that we hadn't yet seen how the summer transfer business would go, but the early signs are that that business has been a fucking disaster and we have made a massive mistake in extending their deals.

Signing 3 punts as our wide options was absolutely fucking mental. If we had at least one proven, quality winger then I'd be on board with bringing in a Seedorf, Hylton, Ilic type as an option off the bench or a project to develop, but to pin all our hopes on them when the position relies so heavily on wingers is lunacy. Fair enough Ariyibi patched us but I find it hard to believe there's not a better standard out there in our price range.  Seedorf especially was worse than a man down. I'd take Frear over any of them right now.

Donnelly isn't good enough either. We can afford to carry a striker that doesn't do anything other than score but not a central midfielder. I think Campbell and Polworth are fine but we're really missing a coherent midfield unit. I'd be tempted to try Maguire alongside them. 

I'm still not convinced about any of the three strikers but I think that's probably the least of our worries right now.

None of those wingers look good enough. None of them can be trusted. Therefore, we simply cannot continue with 4-3-3 with the emphasis on getting the ball to the wingers. Its lunacy and will see us in the Championship next season. 

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Will be some patter when we're bottom at Christmas and Turnbull comes back to cigar us to safety.

David Turnbull will never kick another competitive ball for us again, unless he does a McFadden and returns as a 30y/o+ crock in 13 years time so put any idea of him coming in to save our season (again) firmly out of your head. As soon as he's fit again he'll be off.

However it's worth mentioning his name in the sense that he basically saved Robinson's arse last season by offering something 'different' when we were otherwise hopeless. This season we look like we are still hopeless, but this time have no Turnbull or Hastie waiting to burst into the side to change our style of play and actually give the support something to be excited about.