Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That's yer Danny Johnson signed for #theDee

Is it a transfer fee, or has he been released to complete it?

Before any Dundee fan starts, I'm only asking so I can update the confirmed transfers thread.

If we've got a fee for Johnson then we've done well.

As mentioned, his goal scoring record was decent but his apparent unwillingness to adapt / work on the rest of his game really pissed me off.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Before any Dundee fan starts, I'm only asking so I can update the confirmed transfers thread.

There's no mention of a fee, no mention he's been mutually consented either though.

The line on the official site is:

“Danny has an opportunity to go and play regular football, and we didn’t want to stand in his way,” manager Stephen Robinson said.

You are like a rat up a fucking drainpipe.

So what’s the consensus on this boy a good signing for us?

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There's no mention of a fee, no mention he's been mutually consented either though.

The line on the official site is:

Sounds like it's a free, I'll stick it in as released until anything else comes up.

You are like a rat up a fucking drainpipe.

So what’s the consensus on this boy a good signing for us?

He might do a turn in the championship as long as you don’t want him to do anything other than be a poacher. Robinson seems to want folk to graft and earn their place and Johnson didn’t seem to be up to it.

I'd imagine they've freed up his wage rather than make Dundee pay anything (would they want to be paying fees in the Championship?)

Johnson was a frustrating one - he is/was clearly a top drawer finisher but that probably isn't enough at our level any more and his workrate wasn't up to the standards that Robinson seems to require. He's the type of player who would have thrived in the 80's/90's when "penalty box strikers" were last a thing....

5 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'd imagine they've freed up his wage rather than make Dundee pay anything (would they want to be paying fees in the Championship?)

Johnson was a frustrating one - he is/was clearly a top drawer finisher but that probably isn't enough at our level any more and his workrate wasn't up to the standards that Robinson seems to require. He's the type of player who would have thrived in the 80's/90's when "penalty box strikers" were last a thing....

Hopefully he'll score a shitload when we travel to Greenock then. 

Without sounding like a condescending p***k, I think Johnson will do really well at Championship level. The step from National League to Premiership always felt like a bit of a leap for him, in fitness terms, as much as anything. He never really looked unfit, but didn't look fit enough for how we were playing, if that makes sense. 

Maybe a bit unlucky for us, in how we changed what we did as a team, but up next to someone like Curran at Dundee, who can do everything aside from sticking it in the pokey, he might end up scoring a boatload.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

Spot on, Swello.  I liked Johnson, but he simply wasn't good enough to thrive in the 4-3-3 formation Robinson clearly favours these days.  Some of his cameos towards the end of the season were painful to watch. 

I think he'll do well in the Championship if Dundee do well and play to his strengths.  Mental that there's folk on Twitter saying it's a bad move for us to let him go.  At best, he's the 5th choice striker we have this season (when we play with one central striker).  We're the wrong club for him at this time.  As said, I liked him but he's not good enough for what we're looking to do going forward.

PA reporting that we're still looking to make another signing "in the forward area".

As @Casagolda alluded to I'd imagine Big Christy Manzinga's been brought in as a punt to cut about as 3rd/4th choice centre forward and we're looking at a re-distribution of budget with Johnson heading to Dens.

Edit: without getting too deep into hypotheticals and this could be miles out but the indication was that we'd held back a bit of budget for the 'starter' (I'm not sure if that was ever explicit though).  On the assumption that BCM is going to be on a fair bit less than Johnson then presumably that frees up a bit more?

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Swello said:

They paid a "high five figure fee" for Shaun Byrne of Livingston already this Summer.

McAlear off to Norwich.

Motherwell tried to secure the player on a longer contract during the summer, but it was clear that any extended stay beyond May 2020 was extremely unlikely.

Despite that, several approaches from Norwich were rejected, before terms were finally agreed on a deal which gives the club a short-term cash injection, coupled with the ability to claim future money should the player develop further.

“It is very much our hope that the player development pathway we provide at Motherwell results in our academy graduates progressing to professional level, then eventually into the first team,” chief executive Alan Burrows explained.

“We had high hopes for Reece. He was getting closer and closer and indeed, played several first-team friendly matches during pre-season. We had positive conversations with the player, his family and his representatives about extending his stay.

“However, it was clear this was an opportunity Reece wanted to explore and probably would’ve explored, when his contract expired at the end of the season, had we not managed to agree a deal with Norwich now.

“This will see the club secure cash in advance, as well as maintaining some economic rights should his career continue to develop.

Fair enough.

Aye, a decent statement that. Should, (but inevitably won’t) appease some of the moon howlers over on Well Fans II and the like.

I know we missed out on the Turnbull cash but between McAlear, Mckinstry, Hastie and (hopefully) Cadden we should have raked in a decent bit of cash this summer and only really lost one first team regular in Cadden, who most agree had stagnated a bit anyway.

IT'S THE CLUBS FAULT FOR LETTING HIS CONTRACT RUN DOWN!!!1111!!!11!11!!!1!

Two players out in the one morning.  Has anyone checked in on Well Fans II to see if they're all ok?