Casagolda

Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Pampered Adolescent said:

Simples!

Mods, please? Instant ban.

2 hours ago, Pampered Adolescent said:

That's fine. For those that know me here, a data set of two....  I'm not a particularly 'nice' person, with loads of faults.

I'd rather the "amateurs' running Motherwell FC do their best for the club.

Cheers

PA

Do you get many troll cabals in your part of Asia?

Guest Pampered Adolescent
Just now, Al B said:

Mods, please? Instant ban.

Instant voluntary ban. In the words of Arnie: I won't be back.

Tara/xie xie/ whatever.

'Clowns'.

Lad's we've been called clowns by someone who's gamertag is Tight M.inge Avenger.

Not entirely sure whether to feel good or bad about it. Will reflect and revert.

Edit: classic P&B autocorrect kicked in 😂

Edited by Al B

12 minutes ago, Pampered Adolescent said:

Regarding Cadden: just as we are free to obtain sponsorship from betting companies, 'aparrently' little or nothing from the yank mob.

Thems are the rules.

Simples!

Do you drive a taxi mate?

2 hours ago, Desp said:

I think I'm with you on this one.  For a player who hasn't got a killer pass, can't tackle and doesn't score many goals because his shooting is quite bad, I'm still a fan of his.

He's definitely got something (I don't think we ever found out what it was, and I suspect Cadden himself hasn't either) but there's definitely a player in there.  He needs to find a position and work really hard at it though, as getting moved around the team in the last 18 months at Motherwell didn't help him.

The player has to look after no.1, but it's disappointing to learn about the loophole which, once again, shafts the wee teams.  That needs closed, but I suspect protecting clubs like Motherwell is way down the list of priorities for UEFA and FIFA. 

I wish these loopholes weren't there i am sure we all do however I don't believe this loophole affects only Motherwell, it sounds as though it would be the case for any club who was due compensation for a player going to the MLS. 

These loopholes also work in the favour of the teams in our league. I don't think it's worked directly in our favour as such however recent examples i can think of are Joe Aribo to rangers and Moussa Dembele to Celtic in which Charlton and Fulham got absolute buttons in comparison to what they would have got if they moved to teams in England.  

There shouldn't be loopholes in the first place but i'd imagine there is some there that we could take advantage of as well.

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

I wish these loopholes weren't there i am sure we all do however I don't believe this loophole affects only Motherwell, it sounds as though it would be the case for any club who was due compensation for a player going to the MLS. 

These loopholes also work in the favour of the teams in our league. I don't think it's worked directly in our favour as such however recent examples i can think of are Joe Aribo to rangers and Moussa Dembele to Celtic in which Charlton and Fulham got absolute buttons in comparison to what they would have got if they moved to teams in England.  

There shouldn't be loopholes in the first place but i'd imagine there is some there that we could take advantage of as well.

Tbh, it's the loan to Oxford that's the "problem" so to speak.

On the face of it that's not a loophole, it's a workaround out of having to pay €300k and completely undermines the principle of training compensation. I think it was @Jim McLean's Ghost who said it the other day, the potential is the equivalent of laundering players. They sign for an MLS side for a nominal amount and get a kickback from the signing club when they sign the player 6 months down the line for an amount that could easily still be significantly less than they'd have had to pay Motherwell (or whichever club trained the player).

That's if it plays out like that.

Normally the amounts in training comp are such that it's probably not worth the hassle. I mean jumping through hoops for the sake of a couple of hundred grand probably isn't worth the effort for say, Championship sides. Leeds wrote us a cheque for £500k for Erwin, Brighton £210k for Ben Hall.

If he was just signing with Columbus Crew and getting on with his career in the MLS I think most would suck it up. It's fair to say we've got our money's worth out of Cadden as a player. Hearts lost out on compensation when Sam Nicholson moved to Minnesota a couple of years ago although at that point MLS didn't acknowledge training compensation. The fact that they do now but simply haven't categorised the clubs is an issue.

As it stands MLS is looking to apply training comp and solidarity payments but going by Mullen's article they categorise LA Galaxy (Zlatan and all) as being 2 categories below Motherwell because they've grouped them all as Category IV clubs as a default.

The story seems to be that Columbus don't have space in their "roster" for another "international" player so are looking to "acquire" him and seeing as Oxford seem to be utterly desperate in trying to sign players, they're happy to take him on a loan. I mean, why wouldn't they? They're saving €300k and they don't need to tie the player down on a long term contract to protect their investment.

Edit to add: in the interests of balance, it's entirely possible that Columbus have offered him a significantly better package than Oxford and that's the choice he's made with the Oxford loan being a legit short-term solution to Columbus not being able to register him to their squad.

Edited by capt_oats

6 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

No slight intended, I wish him well, in whatever: "We manage and control the largest privately funded Optical Core network in the UK with extensive on-net Metro reach." 

Means.

From my dealings with them they appear to be a BT Business Broadband reseller 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, it's the loan to Oxford that's the "problem" so to speak.

Edit to add: in the interests of balance, it's entirely possible that Columbus have offered him a significantly better package than Oxford and that's the choice he's made with the Oxford loan being a legit short-term solution to Columbus not being able to register him to their squad.

@TheRedFinal on Twitter has an interesting conspiracy theory on this I've just read, whereby an Oxford director used to co-own DC United.  When he was there Pat Onstad was a coach; Onstad is now technical director at Columbus so the line in the twitter thread is around Oxford leveraging this MLS loophole to game the compensation system.  Probably bollocks I know.

I see Craig Tanner played 45 mins in a bounce game today. Great to see him get some minutes even if it’s just a kickabout, here’s hoping he can kick on and get back to full fitness.

I also saw somewhere the game was against Dundee so I’m assuming he scored at least once.

19 minutes ago, dezz said:

I also saw somewhere the game was against Dundee so I’m assuming he scored at least once.

Craig Tanner Vs Dundee - Played in one half, scored in both.

26 minutes ago, dezz said:

I see Craig Tanner played 45 mins in a bounce game today. Great to see him get some minutes even if it’s just a kickabout, here’s hoping he can kick on and get back to full fitness.

There he is.

EAF0nZCWkAAC9VD?format=jpg&name=small

Did we not benefit from players moving from England to Scotland with a development fee? I seem to recall a chairman being a bit upset about it. Think it might have been Porter, Humphrey or Coke.

34 minutes ago, dezz said:

Any ideas of the actual result and who else played?

2 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Did we not benefit from players moving from England to Scotland with a development fee? I seem to recall a chairman being a bit upset about it. Think it might have been Porter, Humphrey or Coke.

Porter was definitely one.

Motherwell have secured Oldham forward Chris Porter on a two-year deal after a controversial free transfer.

The League One side were hoping for a sizeable six-figure fee for the out-of-contract 23-year-old.

But in accordance with a loophole in transfer regulations they will receive nothing because the former Bury player has moved to a Scottish club.

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee, meanwhile, added: "We were able to - I think the best expression is - exploit the rules, which enabled us to bring Chris here.

"We are very pleased because we feel as if we have got a player who in normal circumstances we probably wouldn't have been able to sign."

"Now he is here I hope he scores goals for us."

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

The FIFA standard is for 23 year olds undergoing international transfers.

Each Football Association can have their own rules for internal transfers. i.e. There is a tribunal panel that decides compensation between scottish clubs. In England they apply training compensation for internal transfers until the player is 24, a year older than FIFA rules.  MLS have their own bonkers system for internal transfers.

I'm really disappointed in Cadden here, given he was giving it the whole (questionable) grew up going to games etc, he's decided to move to a club that is going to screw us out of compo rather than either sign a year extension and move for a fee.

I get that's his prerogative but it grates on me, especially after he missed most of last season injured.

As Al B mentioned earlier, he hasn't actually kicked on at all and developed the way we hoped and I can't see where he would have fit in this time, but he could have done us a solid a la DT.

Hastie's move actually pisses me off less than this.

33 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I'm really disappointed in Cadden here, given he was giving it the whole (questionable) grew up going to games etc, he's decided to move to a club that is going to screw us out of compo rather than either sign a year extension and move for a fee.

I get that's his prerogative but it grates on me, especially after he missed most of last season injured.

As Al B mentioned earlier, he hasn't actually kicked on at all and developed the way we hoped and I can't see where he would have fit in this time, but he could have done us a solid a la DT.

Hastie's move actually pisses me off less than this.

To be fair to him though, for him to move for a fee, someone has to want to buy him...and for me that's the issue. It's not going to get any better by signing a new deal because I can't see that he's going to play. (And I think he knows that too).

"No-one wants to pay money for Chris Cadden" is exactly the problem, as much I have a massive amount of time for the guy and with all the goodwill in the world, I don't see that changing as it's been so long since he did, well....anything, and theres no shop window for him here.

I agree the whole arrangement might seem a touch on the shady side, but I can't being annoyed at the guy going to literally the only place that will give him a game (regrettably...I actually feel quite bad talking about him in that way).

Let's suck this one up and let the guy try to get a fresh start, he definitely deserves that at the very least.

Edited by Al B