Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Once Hylton got a grip of the pitch he was class tonight. Felt quite sorry for the boy at right back. Didn’t realise til I heard the post match stuff that he’s only just starting in senior football.

Shout out to the supporters bus managing to dump a whole tank of diesel all over the road about a mile away from the ground as well.

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Shout out to the supporters bus managing to dump a whole tank of diesel all over the road about a mile away from the ground as well.

I thought there was something wrong with my car the smell was that strong

Frear has one trick. He slows the ball down, quick acceleration and then a cross.

He never really got a run of games as a winger for us. He was mainly played as a wing back in our hoofball days which didn’t suit him. However, he contributed enough over his stay with us to be good enough for the championship imo.

8 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Elliot frear what like?

I felt sorry for Frear in his time at Fir Park, he was signed by McGhee and used in a role alien to him initially by Robinson. When we finally decided to play four at the back, he got his chance, but got injured the first game and then Hastie came in and took his chance.

For me, he's a left winger stuck in a 1990s 4-4-2 formation where the wingers role was to get to the byline and put crosses in. He doesn't really have many tricks, he's quick enough without being rapid and isn't the kind of guy who you could play inverted, I can't imagine him cutting inside on his favoured foot or anything. He had a decent delivery when it came off and when it didn't he was half decent at winning throws and corners high up the park. 

I guess he's probably as good as the strikers he's crossing to.

He did get a vital number of assists late in the 2016/17 season which were instrumental in keeping us up and I would have been happy enough had he stayed, but I definitely feel we've moved in the right direction with the wingers we have in now.

I think in the Premiership, he neither had the raw pace, physical build or trickery to be a stand-out - but I think he will be fast in the Championship and is a decent crosser. I think he's do well actually.

16 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I notice no Danny Johnson in the squad tonight. 

Surely only a matter of time now. Even with  Cole injured he’s still struggling to make the squad, let alone get a game.

Think outside him- Carson, Sloth and Livingstone are the only other first team players who haven’t been involved at all so far. I wouldn’t be surprised to see first two involved on Saturday though.

Noticed in Carroll’s absence that Tait to left back and Grimshaw at right back was preferred to Livingstone last night. I’m becoming convinced he’ll actually be released without ever having started a game for us. 

Take it Scott went off with an injury? Also for those that were there, was Long up to much when he came on? 

Edited by Casagolda

4 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Surely only a matter of time now. Even with  Cole injured he’s still struggling to make the squad, let alone get a game.

Think outside him- Carson, Sloth and Livingstone are the only other first team players who haven’t been involved at all so far. I wouldn’t be surprised to see first two involved on Saturday though.

Noticed in Carroll’s absence that Tait to left back and Grimshaw at right back was preferred to Livingstone last night. I’m becoming convinced he’ll actually be released without ever having started a game for us. 

Take it Scott went off with an injury? Also for those that were there, was Long up to much when he came on? 

Long looks quick as f**k. He had one burst through the middle but I don't think the pitch helped with his running. Definitely sharp though. 

It's the first I'd seen Long (the 5 seconds at Palmerston don't count :) ) - he looks very direct and pretty rapid. Would like to see him start against Annan on Saturday to get a look at him on a non shag-pile surface. 

17 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Frear had the heart of a mouse and the hamstrings of an 8 year old. Followed Tommy Robinson on twitter until he got emptied as well. 

Best of luck.

A full #twitteraudit - that's the attention to detail that you don't get on Well Fans II

See Lafferty’s on his way out of Rangers shortly and we have often been linked with him previously. 

Probably zero chance of him ending up down Fir Park way, but with ITKMarv reporting over on SO that we are due to bring in another striker, it did get me wondering.