Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Al B said:

Yasssssss...I've been dying to talk about this for ages 😂. MONTHS of work has gone into this and it was touch and go for a while whether it would actually happen or not.

Unbelievable work by those involved.

Without breaking the ITK code, why was it touch and go?

19 minutes ago, Swello said:

Without breaking the ITK code, why was it touch and go?

Not privvy to any specifics sadly, I didn't even know until now it was specifically Paddy Power (although I had a hunch once the Huddersfield thing was revealed), but it took a fair bit of negotiating and a shit-ton of work for it to happen to the benefit of all parties, with it being part of a bigger "campaign".

There are odd occasions over the years when I get told "I actually can't tell you". This was one of them.

Edited by Al B

I'd imagine, given that Paddy Power seem to be *very* brand conscious that someone spilling the beans at the wrong time would have fucked it - and to get it done without that happening is a feat in itself. 

4 minutes ago, Radford said:

Just how annoying are Motherwell FC these days? Showing everyone else up constantly on this front.

There's still some people on Steelmen who snidely refer to the folk running the club as "amateurs" whenever something isn't going right - but the club has simply never been as well run as it is now. They do manage the trick of making what is a modest town club seem bigger than it is...

26 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'd imagine, given that Paddy Power seem to be *very* brand conscious that someone spilling the beans at the wrong time would have fucked it - and to get it done without that happening is a feat in itself. 

I'm actually quite interested to see how the *brand partnership* works going forward given for better or worse (definitely worse in PP's case) both parties are extremely media aware.

It's a hot take but there's probably an argument that there's as much or potentially more value in terms of engagement and awareness through socials & media etc. than there is having a logo shoved on a shirt.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's a hot take but there's probably an argument that there's as much or potentially more value in terms of engagement and awareness through socials & media etc. than there is having a logo shoved on a shirt.

Contrary to it being a hot take, I think this is literally the centre of the whole thing. I think we're right at the start of a pivot point with what used to be "shirt sponsorship", becoming "club sponsorship". Under that latter umbrella, using a footballer or a fan as a walking billboard is such small potatoes compared to the other ways of getting a company name out there, that it was only a matter of time before shirt sponsorship falls down the pecking order for clubs at our level. Obviously it will remain much higher up that pecking order for clubs with a bigger, more far-flung fan base, but for clubs like us, shirt sponsorship won't reach too far outside of Motherwell, and certainly not really outside Scotland. Whereas with the Paddy Power announcement i'd wager more people already know who sponsor Motherwell in the last hour since it was made, than from a whole year of shirt-front sponsorship.

Not specifically referring to PP or Motherwell or Huddersfield, but I think there may a a shift coming in shirt sponsorship for clubs at our level.

Edited by Al B

2 minutes ago, Al B said:

Contrary to it being a hot take, I think this is literally the centre of the whole thing. I think we're right at the start of a pivot point with what used to be "shirt sponsorship", becoming "club sponsorship". Under that latter umbrella, using a footballer or a fan as a walking billboard is such small potatoes compared to the other ways of getting a company name out there, that it was only a matter of time before shirt sponsorship falls down the pecking order for clubs at our level. Obviously it will remain much higher up that pecking order for clubs with a bigger, more far-flung fan base, but for clubs like us, shirt sponsorship won't reach too far outside of Motherwell, and certainly not really outside Scotland. Whereas with the Paddy Power announcement i'd wager more people already know who sponsor Motherwell in the last hour since it was made, than from a whole year of shirt-front sponsorship.

Not specifically referring to PP or Motherwell or Huddersfield, but I think there may a a shift coming in shirt sponsorship for clubs at our level.

Aye, it was the first thing I thought of (hence the 'hot take') but I hadn't really thought any more about it and clearly I've no access to #numbers. It just seems a logical progression in terms of reach, clicks and general branding compared with a niché placement on the front of a shirt.

Even looking at 'elite' level clubs...I'd genuinely be interested to know how many folk visited Rwanda after seeing the suggestion on Arsenal's shirt sleeve.

16 minutes ago, Al B said:

Interesting stuff and can see the logic.

This is probably a rhetorical question as I'm not expecting you to know but I do wonder how the financial side of such a deal works? Do we have any commitments to promote the campaign throughout the season, outwith the obvious one of having no sponsor on our top? 

Edited by Londonwell

3 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

This is probably a rhetorical question as I'm not expecting you to know but I do wonder how the financial side of such a deal works? Do we have any commitments to promote the campaign throughout the season, outwith the obvious one of having no sponsor on our top? 

I’d like to see the club participate in small daft challenges, who remembers the golf bucket challenge? Something different advertise paddy power who are pretty massive social media wise and always have some crazy things to do or say. That Rhodri Giggs video 😂

2 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

This is probably a rhetorical question as I'm not expecting you to know but I do wonder how the financial side of such a deal works? Do we have any commitments to promote the campaign throughout the season, outwith the obvious one of having no sponsor on our top. 

Yeah absolutely no idea, my post above is purely just my thoughts on the situation and the fact that when you think about it, shirt sponsorship for a "town" club is probably really redundant as a form of advertising, given what's on offer these days.

This is not a dig at Motherwell for obvious  reasons  but I wish football and sports in general would  move away from getting  sponsorship from betting  companies.. you might not have the sponsor  on the shirt but it will be rammed down your throat some other way.

Edited by Bohemian

I've always assumed that with bigger sponsorships (English Premier, Formula 1, etc) that getting a wee logo on a sleeve or a wing-mirror is secondary to all the branding and PR stuff that comes with being a sponsor. I agree though at the level of middling clubs in our league, the PR/marketing stuff is limited and it really has been about getting your logo seen on TV, etc. 

It's probably not a surprise that as we are pretty forward thinking in terms of using social media, that we would be in the frame to be early adopters of the type of approach that @Al B is referring to. I guess the proof of "success" would be what happens after the initial year of sponsorless shirts - do we separate being our title sponsor from getting your name on the shirt?