Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think we all seen Scott had something about him last season, it was just about whether he was ready or not- easy to forget he's still only 18. Hopefully the two goals last night will do his confidence the world of good, the 2nd in particular was delightfully taken and some of his touches thereafter were excellent. 

I think last night will be enough to convince Robinson to keep him here for the time being(at least January), with him Long and Cole competing for that central role. It does indeed look like tea's oot for Danny Johnson though and if we get another forward in I can see him being on his way. Be interesting to see who Robinson's actually targeting as the 'final piece of the jigsaw', the way Craigan was talking after the game it was going to be another forward. However even if Johnson leaves, we'd still be sitting at 6 players playing for 3 positions before anyone else potentially came in.

It's obviously very early days but the signs are promising compared to this time last year. The recruitment has clearly been tailored to suit the style of play Robinson wants to play, a style of play itself that has been great fun to watch so far in 2019 and we're continually seeing the young team getting their chance. This time last year we were being outplayed and beaten by League 1 Stranraer on penalties and were 20 mins from going out in the final game against League 2 Clyde. All the while lumping high balls to Main/Sammon/Bowman with the likes of Turnbull not even getting a sniff. 

Sure the standard of opposition will get harder but by the same token, there's also plenty of scope for this team to improve and develop as the season goes on as well. We're a work in progress but as has been said at the very least we look like we'll be fun to watch and good value this season, which is good enough for me. Hylton's nutmegs or Ilic's bit of skill in the buildup to the 4th last night were worth the £12 alone.

One of the biggest positives I took from last night was Hylton and Seedorf on the wings. Both displayed a burst of pace that we've not seen in that department since Chris Humphrey left and *if* both can work on their first touch and end delivery then we will, potentially, have a very decent attacking line this season. Both have managed to find the net so far in the two games so that is a hugely encouraging sign even at this early stage.

12 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Btw, if that turn and strike from Scott had gone in you'd have seen my head taking off over the Lanarkshire sky.

Are you talking about the ball in that he popped up on the volley and then shot? That touch was positively #turnbullesque and had me saying "ooft" in an excited fashion.

In all seriousness though, yes he made a wrong decision or two, but he showed some fantastic awareness and good feet, i was very impressed.

Also, as much as Chris Sutton is good comedy value, I recorded the game and watched it back, and loved the way he was so positive about a young striker with potential. Really spoke highly of him in the way you'd hope an ex-pro of his standard would when he sees a chance to promote talent in our league.

Lastly, loved his comment of "I hate to give him any kind of praise at all, but that was great link up play by John Sutton"

I was away and watched it in the pub but missed the first half hour but was impressed by our performance. At one point Chris Sutton said "that's a terrible ball up to Sutton ". It sounded a bit odd and I couldn't help thinking could he not have said John or John Sutton. Let's face it, everyone watching knew it was his brother.

7 hours ago, Al B said:

Are you talking about the ball in that he popped up on the volley and then shot? That touch was positively #turnbullesque and had me saying "ooft" in an excited fashion.

In all seriousness though, yes he made a wrong decision or two, but he showed some fantastic awareness and good feet, i was very impressed.

Compared to Ryan Bowman and his clown shoes Scott's cutting about the park like an ML1 Zlatan tbh.

I'd guess Graeme's talking about the turn and hit from about 25-30 yards that took out two Morton players with one movement...

giphy.gif

Sutton was particularly taken with the "sublime" first touch for the one he popped up and hit on the volley though.

giphy.gif

The biggest compliment I could give to young Scott is that watching him on Friday night had me as excited as I was when Turnbull was strutting about tail end of last season. 

Everyone is rightly pointing out it was against a championship side, but he is only 18 so he has very little experience playing against senior sides. He will not find it easier against in the top flight but that goes for every striker and not just Scott. 

Early days but it was a v impressive performance. Possibly similar to Hastie and Turnbull in that he has given Robinson a dilemma. I am quite sure Long was going to be our starter up front - again depending on the one final transfer that he has discussed that seems to be another striker.  That still may be the case and Long will no doubt play at some point against Dumbarton and / or Annan in final Betfred games. 

All in all it is a healthy situation that we are scratching our heads as to who our 1st choice 11 will be.  I think we can bank on Gillespie, Tait, Gallagher, Dunne, Campbell as starters for start of the league season but then who knows. I have a feeling if he performs consistently like his 2nd half showing v Morton then Ilic will be a regular starter. The guy looked a class above and his work up to the 4th goal was as sublime as any other on the evening. 

Everyone's obviously getting hyped over Scott, Hylton and #YungSherwin which is understandable given Hylton's been brought in from the National League and Seedorf from u23 football. If nothing else it's a relief that on first impression they're not Luka Belic.

However there should probably be a low-key nod of appreciation in the general direction of Polworth and Gallagher as they're two who have experience at this level and they're playing in key positions if we're going to keep the 433 working. Looking back on the game on Friday night it's actually wild just how involved Polworth was in creating chances yet no one's really talking about him (I'm not Liam Polworth btw).

Off the top of my head; he played Seedorf in to set up the opening goal, put Scott through for his 1v1 and directly set up Scott's 2nd. That's pretty effective considering it was his competitive debut. All from open play rather than set-piece delivery too.

Gallagher looked absolutely smashing.

Also, shout out to Jake Carroll. When you consider the pelters he got when the pre-contract was announced he seemed...fine? He pretty much looked like what we thought we were getting with ATS.

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Compared to Ryan Bowman and his clown shoes Scott's cutting about the park like an ML1 Zlatan tbh.

I'd guess Graeme's talking about the turn and hit from about 25-30 yards that took out two Morton players with one movement...

giphy.gif

Aye, that's the one. For just a minute I thought he'd lashed it in the top bin.

As an aside, I'd also like to continue to stan for Ryan Bowman. For my money, one of the most under-rated players of our last few years, as he made Moult a better player, made Main a better player, turned up massively in cup games and grafted like f**k for it, then got us money.

He did have terrifying feet though, fair enough.

Although people are citing level of opposition, the good thing was that Scott was displaying attrubutes where that is/was irelevant.  Eg killing the ball stone dead with first touch etc.

Aye, that's the one. For just a minute I thought he'd lashed it in the top bin.
As an aside, I'd also like to continue to stan for Ryan Bowman. For my money, one of the most under-rated players of our last few years, as he made Moult a better player, made Main a better player, turned up massively in cup games and grafted like f**k for it, then got us money.
He did have terrifying feet though, fair enough.

I can’t get raging over Bowman. He worked his arse off every time he played and gave us some great moments. He was shite at the whole football thing, though.

Scott trapping the ball like a bag of sand is some difference to watching Bowman chase the ball towards corner flags.

23 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I can’t get raging over Bowman. He worked his arse off every time he played and gave us some great moments. He was shite at the whole football thing, though.

Scott trapping the ball like a bag of sand is some difference to watching Bowman chase the ball towards corner flags.

See, this is largely where I was coming from with that comment tbf (and a gag about the size of his feet).

Absolutely on board with giving big Herbalife due props. I can't argue that he knocked his pan in but he worked well as a foil and chaos factor in a partnership with the odd moment of individual brilliance (that goal at Tynecastle as an example).

As you say it's some difference watching Scott's hold up play (thus far) and general awareness whether it's lay-offs or pinging cross-field passes compared to Bowman bumping a first touch out to the corner flag or chucking his elbows around.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Looking back on the game on Friday night it's actually wild just how involved Polworth was in creating chances yet no one's really talking about him (I'm not Liam Polworth btw).

Wotherspoon Syndrome.

He was unreal for ICT in terms of assists but had a section of their support who just constantly trashed him. Must just be something about how he plays that goes under the radar.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wotherspoon Syndrome.

He was unreal for ICT in terms of assists but had a section of their support who just constantly trashed him. Must just be something about how he plays that goes under the radar.

He's one of these guys who you don't really notice during the game as he doesn't do anything ridiculously eye catching. It's only when I watched the game back I realised just how much influence he had on the game. Saw him a couple of times for ICT  last season and remember him as being solid and consistent without being particularly flamboyant.

Imagine that most teams have a similar type player.

Well...

“This partnership represents our biggest shirt sponsorship in history, and the chance to team up with a renowned brand. It’s a fantastic achievement by our commercial team to get them on board."

Link

Biggest shirt sponsorship in our history you say...

Edited by capt_oats

Yasssssss...I've been dying to talk about this for ages 😂. MONTHS of work has gone into this and it was touch and go for a while whether it would actually happen or not.

Unbelievable work by those involved.