Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Hylton and Seedorf look like great fun. Impressed by Ilic too.

I’m also less convinced Scott will go on loan now. Robinson clearly likes him.

Yea f**k putting him out on loan. Lets enjoy the lad while we have him and let him enjoy playing and learning with us

That was fun tonight.

All the wingers look good value, Gallacher has slotted in nicely and will do well and I thought Polworth was really decent, got stuck in more than I expected and moved the ball well.

James Scott is bloody talented for an 18 year old, some size of a laddie as well. No doubt he’s got areas of his game he needs to work on but with each passing game you can see more and more why Robinson rates him so highly.

With Cole, Sloth, (maybe) Tanner and of course Davie Turnbull to come back we look like we have a right good squad.

Can’t read too much into these games obviously but it all looks quite promising.

Surprised yous aren't raving about him tbh, looks a tremendous prospect

I think his size and stature have people fooled into thinking he is older than he is. His link up play, hold up and quick feet are tremendous for someone so young.

If we support him and back him I think we will have a right star in our hands.

I've not seen you play this season, so this is just pure conjecture you can file into the bin, but we looked really exciting as a team last season in the Betfred, with Kennedy, Wright and Watt all causing absolute chaos.

It got ruined by not having a centre forward who could actually score.

Looking at your squad that might end up being your issue too, but again, I've never seen the likes of Cole actually play.

Thought you guys looked excellent last night. Very promising. Morton clearly a work in progress, mind, so that's the only qualifier.

Can see you getting a solid 6th/7th this season, and wouldn't be shocked to see you doing a Killie* based on that.

* Finishing higher still, not being humiliated by some actual fucking farmers from North Wales.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thought you guys looked excellent last night. Very promising. Morton clearly a work in progress, mind, so that's the only qualifier.

Can see you getting a solid 6th/7th this season, and wouldn't be shocked to see you doing a Killie* based on that.

* Finishing higher still, not being humiliated by some actual fucking farmers from North Wales.

It was a good watch and you are right to caveat the fact that Morton were not up to much.

I saw earlier post from Random Guy and like most fans of provincial clubs you should always keep expectations in check. It would not be the 1st time we have strolled through pre season only to have a poor league season. 

I will only say that if we can continue to improve and get our best 11 (whoever that may be) on the pitch and with Turnbull to come back then Top 6 is a realistic target. 

We have 2 v good goalkeepers. Declan Gallagher is really impressing and could prove to be our best summer capture. The wide men look every bit as good as Gboly and Ilic when he came on looked easy on the eye. 

Then to James Scott. Sure he is only 18 so to expect him to carry the burden of being leading striker is maybe too much but he is beginning to grow and become more confident. Long still to come also. 

Not forgetting Donnelly who most had written off but could be a find in midfield. Hell he has a better goal scoring record that Turnbull. 3 in last 3 competitive games. 

Exciting times but Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and probably Hibs and Hearts will have stronger squads. So decent cup runs with top 6 would exceed expectations for season 2019/20. 

12 hours ago, well fan for life said:

I’m also less convinced Scott will go on loan now. Robinson clearly likes him.

Here's what Robinson was saying about Scott post-match via Four Four Two:

Robinson said: “If he continues to improve and keeps adding goals to his game, he’s got everything for a number nine.

“He is 18 years of age, he needs to learn to use his body better which he will do and we will help him with that, but he’s got everything.

“He needs to keep his feet on the ground, learn when to do his tricks, when not to, and get shots away. He’s got a chance.”

You obviously have to caveat everything by acknowledging he's been playing against work-in-progress Championship sides but the thing with Scott is that he looks a natural fit for the role in a way that Main didn't and Danny "my goals will pull me through more than my overall game" Johnson doesn't.

Where Main was making a fist of things by essentially just putting himself about  Scott (misses aside) seems to be able to drop in, hold the ball up, pick passes and actually beat defenders with the ball at his feet rather than just jumping into centre backs. He gets into good positions and, to me at least, it feels like the goals will come with confidence but it's the other stuff about his game that impresses me. 

Which is nice.

I was very pro Scott going out on loan if it didn't look like he'd get minutes and would just be parked on the bench but it looks like Robinson genuinely feels he's going to be able to contribute. If that's the case then absolutely keep him around.

11 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Looking at who’s out of contract at the end of the season, I’d probably let Johnson and Tanner go to free up wages for Tait, Dunne and Gillespie new deals.

On Johnson; Scott obviously completely validated Robinson's decision to start him last night with 2 goals (that should have been 4 or 5) and that probably leaves Johnson 3rd pick centre forward behind Long and Scott (possibly 4th if we fancy Cole as a striker as well).

Last season after the winter break he made 3 appearances in the league totalling 63 mins and was hooked after 67 in the Scottish Cup against County. It's kind of difficult to see how that changes this season given it looks as if we're keeping the #SexyMotherwell brand going.

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

With Robinson saying he'd like to bring in one more starter and everyone assuming he'll be a centre forward, I can see Johnson being allowed to find another club.

I don’t think it will be a striker I’d presume a midfielder or centre back but only a CB as cover but Maguire could still play there.

Quite impressed by what i seen last night.

New signings settling in very well indeed. If anything it was our normally reliable regulars who had a shaky start in Dunne and Tait.

Spoilt for choice with our wingers and 2 starting and 1 coming on whilst switching wings will no doubt cos a few headaches to a lot of sides. 

Impressed by Gallacher at the back, especially his distribution. Polworth looks like the good attacking midfielder we need to replace Turnbull. A few commenting last night on wether Donnelly can replace McHugh or Gorrin in the holding roll  well he certainly hasn't done his chances any harm by his last few performances and is more of a goal threat than the affore mentioned. 

On young Scott, he certainly has the makings of a good number 9 and like Donnelly and Polworth i would play him in all these group games to get him settled into their roles and get their confidence up.

Actually feeling good for the season ahead for the first time in a while. 

I enjoyed last night too.

As mentioned we will be exciting to watch at times. Wingers are always hit n miss but the few we have mean we can mix it up when it's not working for someone.

James Scott impressed me, looked a bit "Michael Higdony" with some of his movement and if he can put himself about and poke in a few goals he's onto a good season I reckon.

Still a bit iffy on the defence to be honest. I don't think we will see where they are at until we are under the cosh a wee bit. Donnelly had a good game last night, seen him wrote off a few times but someone at FP obviously sees something there. Thought it was a bit strange when we ended up with a midfield of Maguire, Donnelly & Campbell but Maguire did ok too.