Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I pay little attention to friendlies or the results, however looking at the two teams we put out last night it’s fairly clear to see where the problems are and what needs to be addressed.  

We’ve lost Turnbull, Hastie and Gboly who must have had 25 goals/assists between them in the second half of last season. Then add you factor in the likes of Frear, Main, Cadden etc who all played their part and you can see we’re desperately short in the final third in terms of both numbers and quality- with only Long and Hylton added so far.

Personally I’ll wait to see how we get on filling those positions before I start fretting but it’s something I’d prefer us to address sooner rather than later. I’m sure there was meant to be another following on from Long? However it’s all gone fairly quiet on that front while the Turnbull saga rolls on.

Quite frankly, I think the club has to put a stop to that before they do anything. Either it’s on or it’s not, for it to drag on for over two weeks now is absolutely ridiculous. We’ve been more than patient, hope the club call Celtic’s bluff and tell them to either pay up or piss off. 

Robinson courting interest elsewhere isn’t too surprising, it does look a fairly tenuous link at best just now. However, last thing we need is another massive distraction this summer. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, 18May1991 said:

Way too early to have a SO meltdown but hope we don’t suffer in the way Dundee United did when they sold all their best players. 

This is the reference that appears a lot, as if United didn't make about 2 years worth of bad decisions, signed players that didn't exist, replaced one of the best centre-halfs in the league with Gavin fucking Gunning, then panic signed a bunch of guys from Champ Man 01/02 as Stephen Thompson tried to reclaim some of the family silver as the club as a whole tried to tear itself apart from the inside out.

Coupled with the fact that they used a bunch of that money they got to wildly overpay Donaldson, Durnan and Darko Bodul (shoutout everyone up in arms about 'undisclosed fees').

I get that it's a warning sort of thing, but even despite all of that, they probably still should've got out of it. If St Mirren can survive last year, then we'll be fine for the next 12 months at least.

Your friendly against Coleraine reminds me of a trip to Belfast from Edinburgh I had a few years ago to see the in-laws.

An older guy sat next to me on the flight. He had a thick west coast accent, he was drinking pretty heavily and told me was off to see the football. It was July, I'll be honest, a weegie football fan drinking heavily in July heading to Belfast, I feared the worst about his choice of team and just wanted to ignore him.

He eventually spoke to me some more, he apologised for the drinking but told me he was absolutely terrified of flying but he was going to see Motherwell in pre season and he never misses a game. Guy was absolutely sound and chatted to him about Scottish football for the rest of the flight.

Felt bad for the initial judgement of him!

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

undisclosed fees

😄 I love when the undisclosed fees come up because by hiding these things in <checks notes> the fucking published accounts, the money doesn't count somehow.

On the pre-season stuff - heading to NI with practically no attackers signed always had rich knicker-wetting potential - I've not been brave enough to head over to Steelmen to see how things are going but I did notice that Wullie wasn't too happy based on his comment on the team picture on Facebook #Measured

Wullie.PNG.e242041a332df4ed177a470cd8c7010d.PNG

21 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Who’s this fella then

774C99F3-1A60-4D46-958B-7E0158C3051B.png

Heading to Belfast tomorrow morning from Edinburgh. I will let you know. 

If I had to guess I would say the next player to bag us a £1 million transfer fee. 

For context, here are the 1st and 2nd half XIs.

D-AZLVMXkAIE0YV?format=jpg&name=mediumD-AxZQVXoAAO79K?format=jpg&name=medium

I only had half an eye on the game via the Bet365 app but IIRC it finished with us having 60%+ possession and significantly more 'attempts' on goal but (obviously) it finished 1-0 to them. Following on from @Casagolda's post earlier, going by squad numbers alone we've not replaced Hastie/Cadden wide right, Main as a #9 and Ariyibi wide left.

Colour me surprised that our issue seemed to be converting the chances we were creating.

Also, going by the highlights it looked like both Maguire and Donnelly were taking Ally Gorrin's holding role. It's notable that the 2nd half XI is weighted far more in favour of the Young Team (Devine, Cornelius, McAlear, Scott).

Given the links to Leicester and West Ham I'm genuinely curious as to how McAlear got on as he's probably the one player we've not really heard much of in terms of the #YoungMotherwell brand. 

Ross was shouting out Semple, Devine and Cornelius in the MFC Podcast interview and we've already seen a fair amount of Scott in the first team. McAlear...less so.

Edited by capt_oats

Hopefully that’s the saga over. I’ll be delighted for him to play for us again when he returns from this op.

Also our statement confirmed Celtic are penny pinching b*****ds. I hope we remember that when it comes to January or next summer.

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Quite frankly, I think the club has to put a stop to that before they do anything. Either it’s on or it’s not, for it to drag on for over two weeks now is absolutely ridiculous. We’ve been more than patient, hope the club call Celtic’s bluff and tell them to either pay up or piss off. 

Thank you.

It only made sense to sell him if we were getting maximum value. As soon as Celtic started trying to shift the goalposts this should always have been the end result. 

Kick in the baws for the boy right enough but if he gets himself back fit and he finishes 2019 like he started it, I’m sure there will be more offers coming his way in January or next summer that suit both him and the club.