Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's really the only criticism I have of the board but I still think letting Hastie and Turnbull run their contracts down to the last 6 months was a massive f**k up that we've hopefully learned from. 

When I saw the McAlear story on Twitter last night this immediately sprung to mind. I'd hope that if/when the Div money comes in (whoever it's from) we might look to extend some of those going into the final year of their deals over the summer rather than wait. Again though, as mentioned, we can't make a player sign up. It's up to us to get him on board with the pathway and all that.

Also, as much of a boot in the baws the circumstances of Hastie's exit was the fact that Gerrard seems to have decided to punt him out on loan before their pre-season has even started might suggest that our appraisal of him wasn't that far off the mark.

I think Random Guy has taken DT’s ‘Boyata Index’ value of £150m a bit too seriously.

Im as gutted as all other well fans he’s moving on but as our CEO has said, £3m+ is ‘transformational’ money for us. You can’t ask much more from ‘the model’ than a young Motherwell fan from the academy breaking through to the first team and securing us a fee that will see the club debt-free and be able to invest in the infrastructure and future of the club.

5 minutes ago, dezz said:

I think Random Guy has taken DT’s ‘Boyata Index’ value of £150m a bit too seriously.

Im as gutted as all other well fans he’s moving on but as our CEO has said, £3m+ is ‘transformational’ money for us. You can’t ask much more from ‘the model’ than a young Motherwell fan from the academy breaking through to the first team and securing us a fee that will see the club debt-free and be able to invest in the infrastructure and future of the club.

If the laddie wants to go then there's also the possibility that rejecting such an offer upsets him. If he's then not performing to his best standard what is his value this time next year?

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I refuse to believe a players value should be dictated by the club he plays for. If Turnbull scored 15 goals in the league for Celtic last season he'd be worth more than £3m, despite him achieving the exact same feat in the same league.

Maybe that's moronic, maybe its naive, it's not an opinion I'll change.

He would be worth more as he has broken in to a team which has better players, and because of that would probably be in with more of a shout of a scotland cap. He would also most likely have been exposed to a higher level of football (Europe, more top 6 games). We would also have higher resources to keep him should a bid come in. All these factors would increase his value.

So to summarise yes, it is moronic.

Edited by gannonball

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Debt free is great news.
So do we expect Motherwell to be challenging for a Europe position this coming season? If you are able to sell your best players to a team in this league I presume the board have already looked into replacements to charge the team into Europe. ( we cant guarantee you 9 points this season so apologies for that )

I doubt this money will really change things drastically on the playing front - I think our place in the middle of the table somewhere will be the end result next season...

5 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Debt free is great news.
So do we expect Motherwell to be challenging for a Europe position this coming season? If you are able to sell your best players to a team in this league I presume the board have already looked into replacements to charge the team into Europe. ( we cant guarantee you 9 points this season so apologies for that )

As much as I am ready for a wee jaunt in that direction again, I did get throughly bored of playing in Europe and being year after year made the summers expensive as fuuuuuuuckk.

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

A record breaking fee will not change much for the team ? You have kilmarnock you can look at surely who spent I'm gonna guess not an awful lot to get a place in Europe? Surely the attraction now at being at Motherwell will be really good. 2 players of recent times heading to rangers and Celtic.
The debt free is great news however with big money coming in surely on the field would be a good idea to invest in. Unless you have another player you are ready or think you are ready to cash in for next season ?
I suppose you have put a bench mark of 3 million for one of the best young Scottish players.

I would imagine that the board are looking at this as "once in a generation" money - and now we are fan owned, it is the only way that we will get serious injections of cash. If we spent that on player wages as opposed to strategic stuff, it would be a total waste. We qualified for Europe 6 times in 7 years in very recent memory -  so I don't think that would be a major incentive to anyone really...

Imagine a Dundee fan telling us just to launch a shitload of money into our first team and forget about everything else.   All in the hope of a 1st Round Europa League Qualifier against some mob from Macedonia.   A Dundee fan. 

Dundee had a higher wage bill than Motherwell last year, and got relegated. 

I'm fine with the model we have, thank you very much.  Bring the next young batch through and let's try again. 

So take the money and pay off the debt and just carry on like normal?

No - take the money, pay off the debt and build training facilities (as opposed to a public park) or redevelop crumbling bits of the ground. And if we up the wage budget a bit and sign a couple of decent players, I'll be delighted :) 

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

A record breaking fee will not change much for the team ? You have kilmarnock you can look at surely who spent I'm gonna guess not an awful lot to get a place in Europe? Surely the attraction now at being at Motherwell will be really good. 2 players of recent times heading to rangers and Celtic.
The debt free is great news however with big money coming in surely on the field would be a good idea to invest in. Unless you have another player you are ready or think you are ready to cash in for next season ?
I suppose you have put a bench mark of 3 million for one of the best young Scottish players.

In fairness, Burrows has already outlined that the plan is to focus on infrastructure, specifically the Academy. He outlines these things in the Tweets below although he's also pointed out that we'll continue to "support" the manager as best we can.

In my time supporting the club we've already seen Alex McLeish effectively set fire to £2m buying players so I think focussing on infrastructure and making sure the club continues to be sustainable and viable 100% makes sense.

Have noticed EPL teams are after a 15 year old player at Motherwell.
Now at 15 and playing for under 20s.. surely another big fee is incoming ?

McAlear? He's 17 and tbf English PL and Championship sides looking at our Academy players is a pretty regular thing. We've already sold a player to Leeds this window.

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Strange that not to long ago you boys wanted to punt this manager yet here he is making your club debt free.

Top manager

To be fair - the model that we are working to kind of pre-dates Robinson (and his influence in the Academy will be a lot less than in the first team). If there is credit here, it would go more to Burrows and the board (as they would be getting the slaggings if we were running at a loss)

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Surely the credit is in the manager having faith in the youth and playing them and resulting in this transfer record fee ?
He and burrows got you this fee...

Surely you gotta praise the manager here ?

Hiya Stephen hiya pal

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Exciting times ahead. Unsure why you mentioned my team. Or are no other set of fans allowed to make a comment about another team?

Your idiotic suggestion is the exact type of short-term thinking that left Motherwell on their arse 16/17 years ago.

It's resulted in your team going through a couple of financial meltdowns themselves, along with a few relegations, in the same period. 

So, I'm very comfortable is not just blowing money on a few overpaid 'names' to try and get a prize that's not really that much to shout about. 

4 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Surely the credit is in the manager having faith in the youth and playing them and resulting in this transfer record fee ?
He and burrows got you this fee...

Surely you gotta praise the manager here ?

I was really just pointing out that the academy stuff is a long term project - not really a slight on Robinson. For example - Stephen Craigan has had a huge influence on the development of the younger guys that have been making the headlines - Robinson was a later convert (and some of the players were simply not ready for 1st team to be fair). 

But I would suggest that the main lesson here is that there needs to be a strategy in place to make this stuff happen - it's far from an accident - and that is why those running the club deserve their bit of praise.