Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I was surprised when I heard a fee had been agreed on the radio earlier tonight but at £3m with significant add-ons (according to the BBC report) I think we've got the most we were ever going to get. We've gone from trying to up the ante in the media by saying we'd be looking to beat our record transfer (£1.75m for o'Donnell), to saying we would significantly better it (suspected to be hoping for £2m - £2.5m, to accepting a reported £3m. That's a lot of money when we've only really had a season out of him but they are buying potential.

I get that folk are upset at him moving to Celtic and I would have preferred him to be going elsewhere so he doesn't play against us but the club has to make the decision from a business sense. There was lots of comment on here when Celtic reportedly offered £1.2m that we should tell them to come back when they're willing to pay £3m - well, they seem to have done that so you can't turn round and say we now want more.

I'm slightly surprised at Celtic meeting our demands though as I can't quite see where he fits into their team with the midfield they have. It would be interesting if this prompts an English club to also meet our demands and he has a choice to make. He's still young so it might be he has always had a preference not to move away from home and sees Celtic as the only club in Celtic able to buy him and as somewhere he can progress (on the basis that Motherwell really couldn't turn down that sort of money).

13 minutes ago, MJC said:

That'd be a sore one if true, we should be in there for Hastie if he's going to be punted out on loan.

Now I'm not sure if you're being serious here but, 

You are willing to take back and develop a player for Rangers, who although he was well within his rights to leave the club, ensured we would get nowhere near market value for him or allow us to insert clauses in to any sale.

Yet, little over an hour ago you are wishing a guy who signed a contract to ensure we were able to get a fee that will probably free the club of debt and if spent wisely hopefully ensure that more players come through the youth system fails miserably in his future career. 

28 minutes ago, Desp said:

Why? Surely you wish him nothing but failure in his future career? 

Saying that I wished him(Turnbull) failure in his future career was a bit much and was pretty silly, I accept that. However I absolutely stand by my saying that I wish him failure at Celtic.

Why would I take Hastie on loan? Because he is a player who would be an asset to us, simple as that.

13 minutes ago, weemac said:

Now I'm not sure if you're being serious here but, 

You are willing to take back and develop a player for Rangers, who although he was well within his rights to leave the club, ensured we would get nowhere near market value for him or allow us to insert clauses in to any sale.

Yet, little over an hour ago you are wishing a guy who signed a contract to ensure we were able to get a fee that will probably free the club of debt and if spent wisely hopefully ensure that more players come through the youth system fails miserably in his future career. 

I couldn't give a f**k about 'developing a player for Rangers' as I couldn't give a f**k about Rangers. What I do care about is us getting a player who would improve our team and Jake Hastie would do that, in my opinion, based on what I have seen of him.

The money side of things isn't a major factor for me, although as I have already said I hope we have/will get what we were looking for for Turnbull, I just want to see us getting the best players on the park that we can possibly get. And yes, I know, for that we need money and transfer money received etc. etc.

Call me petty and perhaps I am, I'll accept the charge here, but to put it bluntly, I fucking hate Celtic and it irks me to see us lose players to them. It did so with Phil O'Donnell and it will do so with David Turnbull. I will not wish any Celtic player well, regardless of whether he's played for us or not or how much money he earned us.

And do you know what? I reckon I'll be far, far from alone in thinking along those lines here.

Guest Pampered Adolescent
11 minutes ago, MJC said:

And do you know what? I reckon I'll be far, far from alone in thinking along those lines here.

In my opinion, and, admittedly, from far, far away, you appear to be the saddest person in the whole of t'internet.

I truly hope you get your Nat King soon, pal.

Cheers

PA

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

I couldn't give a f**k about 'developing a player for Rangers' as I couldn't give a f**k about Rangers. What I do care about is us getting a player who would improve our team and Jake Hastie would do that, in my opinion, based on what I have seen of him.

The money side of things isn't a major factor for me, although as I have already said I hope we have/will get what we were looking for for Turnbull, I just want to see us getting the best players on the park that we can possibly get. And yes, I know, for that we need money and transfer money received etc. etc.

Call me petty and perhaps I am, I'll accept the charge here, but to put it bluntly, I fucking hate Celtic and it irks me to see us lose players to them. It did so with Phil O'Donnell and it will do so with David Turnbull. I will not wish any Celtic player well, regardless of whether he's played for us or not or how much money he earned us.

But by bringing either of them back on loan it means you are developing them for the old firm.

In the case of Jake Hastie we then become Alloa to all intents and purposes, where we may improve him and then see no return for doing that. 

Turnbull would be slightly different if we have a sell on fee, as by improving him it may slightly improve the offer coming in if he left celtic, but if he's not getting a game with celtic and having to come on loan to us I doubt it would massively increase his value so for that reason I'm out. 

For what it's worth I reckon the club are actually playing this quite well. We have now put it in the public domain what we are willing to accept so if there is any serious interest from England or abroad they know what they have to pay, meaning we don't have to sell him to a club in the same league.  If they don't come forward with any offers (and let's be honest it's chicken feed to the clubs in England) then we know we've got the best deal possible albeit not to the best possible destination. 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I don't think there was anything crackpot about saying move on and consign a former player to the history books to be honest. In any event it was you who said that the world will keep turning, not me. My views on the player joining Celtic are nothing to do with anyone other than myself and I don't claim to speak for anyone else.

What if he went to Dundee United?

3 minutes ago, weemac said:

But by bringing either of them back on loan it means you are developing them for the old firm.

In the case of Jake Hastie we then become Alloa to all intents and purposes, where we may improve him and then see no return for doing that. 

Turnbull would be slightly different if we have a sell on fee, as by improving him it may slightly improve the offer coming in if he left celtic, but if he's not getting a game with celtic and having to come on loan to us I doubt it would massively increase his value so for that reason I'm out. 

For what it's worth I reckon the club are actually playing this quite well. We have now put it in the public domain what we are willing to accept so if there is any serious interest from England or abroad they know what they have to pay, meaning we don't have to sell him to a club in the same league.  If they don't come forward with any offers (and let's be honest it's chicken feed to the clubs in England) then we know we've got the best deal possible albeit not to the best possible destination. 

Well who we are actually developing them for isn't really important to me. It wasn't important when we had John Ruddy on loan ten years ago and were potentially developing for Everton, the only thing that mattered to me at the time was that he was bringing something positive to our team and the same would apply to Hastie AND/OR Turnbull if either were ever loaned back to us. 

I agree that the club have, so far, played this as well as could be hoped for and certainly better than they have done in the past. That's not my issue here at all, my only issue is, the potential club that David Turnbull is joining. I don't want to see him playing for them, simple as that. Call me petty, call me 'bigoted' as no doubt some utter clown no doubt will sooner or later as that seems to be the way of it in the West of Scotland when Celtic are concerned, but there it is. I do not want to see David Turnbull playing for Celtic because I don't like that club. It's that simple.

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

What if he went to Dundee United?

I wouldn't feel as strongly but I certainly would not wish him well.

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Also, MJC clearly isn't a Rangers fan. Everyone that falls for it has fallen for the laziest trolling in P&B history.

Sssshhhhh, don't give the game away.

Obviously not the most ideal news to come home to in terms of losing your best player, and one of the big draws to actually wanting to go watch Motherwell play over the last 6 months. Might be a slightly different viewpoint, but I’m not massively fussed on it being Celtic we lost DT to - in terms of direct competitors, it’s making sure we improve on the Killie’s and St Johnstone’s while not regressing to the levels of Accies, St Mirren etc that I’m focused on and none of them can afford Turnbull. That said, it will still hurt seeing DT rasper in a 30 yarder at Fir Park while playing for an old firm side!

However, bigger picture is that that 30 yarder will hopefully go on to see a Bournemouth or whomever come and pay the fee’s we’ve seen Celtic sell players for in recent memory - a 21 year old Moussa Dembélé made them £20 million, and while that’s maybe a stretch, that’s Celtic’s model as well and hopefully in a couple of years time helps us out financially again.

A point that’s been raised over the last wee while on here that I fully agree with would be preferring it to be a Championship side taking Div off us - the consensus seems to be the Premier League teams are happy to pay more to other English teams than they are up here = larger chunk of money from whatever sell on fee we insert in this transfer. Obvious other point to go along with that is that we don’t have to worry about seeing DT score against us for Celtic!

So I’ll most certainly not be making any toys out the pram statements on wishing a young boys career down the drain, both from the point of view I’m not a roaster, and that ultimately if David Turnbull does move to Celtic, I hope he goes on and gets a big move down south while fulfilling his undoubted potential, and in turn, helping us out financially in turning an initial £3m transfer into a net ~5-6m transfer!

7 minutes ago, MJC said:

Well who we are actually developing them for isn't really important to me. It wasn't important when we had John Ruddy on loan ten years ago and were potentially developing for Everton, the only thing that mattered to me at the time was that he was bringing something positive to our team and the same would apply to Hastie AND/OR Turnbull if either were ever loaned back to us. 

I agree that the club have, so far, played this as well as could be hoped for and certainly better than they have done in the past. That's not my issue here at all, my only issue is, the potential club that David Turnbull is joining. I don't want to see him playing for them, simple as that. Call me petty, call me 'bigoted' as no doubt some utter clown no doubt will sooner or later as that seems to be the way of it in the West of Scotland when Celtic are concerned, but there it is. I do not want to see David Turnbull playing for Celtic because I don't like that club. It's that simple.

We'll agree to disagree on the whole development thing as I don't mind loaning a player from England as you aren't possibly helping a rival out in that situation. 

Where we can agree is that I'd rather have seen him go to anyone rather than Celtic (or Rangers if they could have afforded him.) 

I'm still hopeful an English team will come in and if that happens I'm confident that we won't see him going to the east end of Glasgow. 

I think the "hope an English club comes in for him now" is clutching at straws. 

Motherwell wouldn't have released that statement, knowing the backlash they would receive from some, if they weren't sure it was all done and dusted. 

Both parties have been working on this deal for weeks.