Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Essentially by September the only real "debt" as such will be to the owners ie: a number of the people posting on this very thread. 

Yes - if the Society "loan" the club money every year as is the plan - then there will nominally be debt but that will never be called in (and as it accrues, it means (as I understand it) that the society will be the major creditor as well as the owner, which could be vitally important if things ever went tits up in future).

I think paying off the historic debt will be a symbolic moment for the club but my main concern has always been that the club can operate within its means without major backing (over and above the modest means of our support) - and in that sense, the transition to fan ownership has settled in nicely after some initial doubts about the model. Operating well in the transfer market and having a great commercial season in 17/18 has undoubtedly made the transition away from Hutchinson's money a soft one.

The only thing I find mildly surprising is that Boyle hasn't written off the amount owed to him by this stage - seems odd.

The more I think about it, the more I think Cadden will end up staying next season. Any time I discuss this, I feel that I need to qualify that I like and rate Cadden, but I think the fact the most recent part of his career had stagnation, then injury, the £600k ballpark figure for compensation may be acting as a deterrent for any team who would be realistically interested. Can't see an Aberdeen or Hearts being happy paying that, only the really wealthy league one teams could afford it, and is he good enough for the Championship? Following on from that, I think him signing a new deal would mean he'd leave for a fee nowhere near that, a la Murphy or Reynolds.

I noticed someone mention on twitter that we start pre-season next week, but even then I'm guessing we can't give Cadden a deadline, because the offer being on the table is crucial to us getting compensation.

I've genuinely no idea what will happen with Cadden (obviously) but it's interesting that he's out of contract but still included in the first team squad list after the refresh. Clearly he's got a new deal that will remain on the table until he makes a decision one way or another but still.

Oddly, he's not the only one. Peter Morrison's still listed on the Reserves page despite his profile showing his contract was up in May and there being zero mention of a new contract offer when the club put up their Squad Update last month.

From the look of the players we've brought in so far we've not replaced Cadden as yet. You'd think if he were to sign then the wide right berth would be his. Similarly the wide left spot would still be held for Gboly depending on how those conversations go.

IIRC the contract that's on the table if a 2 year deal which would give us a couple of windows to cash in (albeit presumably at a less prohibitive price) and also would give him the opportunity to get fitness and form back after his injury. Clearly he could still move but I'd imagine we'd be more than happy to go to tribunal rather than do a deal given the length of time he's had at the club and number of appearances.

In fairness, I don't blame him for keeping his options open and going by his IG he seems to be having a nice holiday.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

In fairness, I don't blame him for keeping his options open and going by his IG he seems to be having a nice holiday.

Btw, if there's a club raffle where you can go on holiday with Richard Tait I'd like to buy every ticket available.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Would you be doing the Crossfit as well?

Abso-fuckin-lutely.

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He occasionally does stuff in Pure Gym if you wanna get all Jill Sharp about things.

Hahahaha, have noticed this. Deeply distracting. 

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He occasionally does stuff in Pure Gym if you wanna get all Jill Sharp about things.

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Abso-fuckin-lutely.

Hahahaha, have noticed this. Deeply distracting. 

100% new bit for you on The Terrace chief. Make it happen.

20 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

THIS.  How is one supposed to react when they look up to see their glorious leader next to you on a bench in the middle of a set?

Personally, I shat it and prematurely moved on to the next exercise. Too starstruck and that..

Between him and Adam Cummings it really is a 'Well paradise :wub:

I reckon Cadden will stay because nobody will want to stump up £600k to take him off us with him coming off the back of an injury. If he does go I suspect it'll be a cut fee and a hefty sell on.

Also in on the Richard Tait love in. He walked past me in town and I was more starstruck than I've ever been in my life. 

This thread has been responsible for me binging the playoff highlights and LCD Soundsystem's back catalogue in the last 24 hours. A great time for me, personally.

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

This thread has been responsible for me binging the playoff highlights and LCD Soundsystem's back catalogue in the last 24 hours. A great time for me, personally.

Live scenes from my office right now.

giphy.gif

That's the new Academy graduates announced. Great bunch of lads.

Sam Muir (LB/LCB), Matthew McDonald (RB), Cammy Williamson (LB), Findlay Cook (FW), Paul Hale (MF), Lewis Robertson (MF) and Matty Connolly (GK).

D8xkPUlW4AAUbXm?format=jpg&name=small

(L-R: Robertson, Hale, Williamson, Muir, Cook, Connelly, McDonald)

Edited by capt_oats