Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

11 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

What a mess this thread is at the minute.

Indeed - let's get some leads on the name of this new striker and get @capt_oats on the case with some top quality gifs and stats.  Failing that, get the playoff videos lashed on to restore balance to the force.

Edited by Pettigrew
can't type

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Some fans think Celtic are guilty of hoovering up all the talent in Scotland to weaken their opposition this is clearly not the case for the mighty well.

in what way is that clear? Do you not think when you signed O'Donnell, Pearson, McClair, Walker or McDonald that we weren't significantly weakened...

14 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

What a mess this thread is at the minute.

2 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Indeed - let's get some leads on the name of this new striker and get @capt_oats on the case with some top quality gifs and stats.  Failing that, get the playoff videos lashed on to restore balance to the force.

Me. IRL. Reading this thread at the moment.

giphy.gif

The current striking situation is weird.

We only currently have two on the books and you wouldn’t really bet on either of them still being here when the season kicks off. 

Will Johnson want to spend the season being a sub? Only being chucked on when we need a goal or the odd time we go with two up top. 

Has Scott done enough post split to convince Robinson he’s ready for the first team? I was all for chucking him out on loan but I thought he grew into the role as the post split games went on. His performance against Livingston to end the season was by far his most impressive and most assured display. 

Given his budget restrictions, it’ll be interesting to see how Robinson handles the whole situation. 

2 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

The current striking situation is weird.

We only currently have two on the books and you wouldn’t really bet on either of them still being here when the season kicks off. 

Will Johnson want to spend the season being a sub? Only being chucked on when we need a goal or the odd time we go with two up top. 

Has Scott done enough post split to convince Robinson he’s ready for the first team? I was all for chucking him out on loan but I thought he grew into the role as the post split games went on. His performance against Livingston to end the season was by far his most impressive and most assured display. 

Given his budget restrictions, it’ll be interesting to see how Robinson handles the whole situation. 

We'll be in the market for a starting number 9 for definite. I suspect if someone wants to pay about £4.50 for Johnson I wouldn't be overly shocked to see him go. 

Scott's a strange one. I absolutely agree he got better as his run of games went on. He definitely grew into it (some of his backheels and nutmegs were delicious). I still reckon if a Championship team want a striker for 6 months we'll see him go on loan for a while. 

4 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

We'll be in the market for a starting number 9 for definite. I suspect if someone wants to pay about £4.50 for Johnson I wouldn't be overly shocked to see him go. 

Scott's a strange one. I absolutely agree he got better as his run of games went on. He definitely grew into it (some of his backheels and nutmegs were delicious). I still reckon if a Championship team want a striker for 6 months we'll see him go on loan for a while. 

On Scott, I think it would be great if he could go out on loan for 6 months and get used to actually scoring some goals (which he would be more than capable of at that level). In any case, given that your striker is possibly the most pivotal job in the team - it would be a massive gamble going with Scott as first choice striker (and I don't think we will do that to be fair).

Also - as we 95% won't have Turnbull next season - we are going to actually need our strikers to contribute the majority of the goals unlike this past season...

The other thing is that if we stick with the 433 #SexyMotherwell approach then we have one CF role. Which means if we bring in a couple then one is almost certainly starting on the bench unless he can also play wide.

Tbh, I'd be very much in favour of us going baws oot and trying to bring in someone with a bit of *cough* pedigree for the #9. Easier said than done I know. That 2nd striker becomes a bit of a tough sell IMO: "Hiya would you like to sign on at Motherwell for not a lot of money...oh, you might be on the bench a lot as well. K?"

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I'd be very much in favour of us going baws oot and trying to bring in someone with a bit of *cough* pedigree for the #9...

Christian Doidge of Forest Green has been targeted by a "number of teams" in our league, first thought was you lot using some Turnbull money on him.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The other thing is that if we stick with the 433 #SexyMotherwell approach then we have one CF role. Which means if we bring in a couple then one is almost certainly starting on the bench unless he can also play wide.

Tbh, I'd be very much in favour of us going baws oot and trying to bring in someone with a bit of *cough* pedigree for the #9. Easier said than done I know. That 2nd striker becomes a bit of a tough sell IMO: "Hiya would you like to sign on at Motherwell for not a lot of money...oh, you might be on the bench a lot as well. K?"

I suppose that second striker role is where we attempt to pick up someone who is coming back from major injury or falling out of favour elsewhere. Only let's hope for someone who is less broken than ATS and less disappointing than Ross McCormack.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Christian Doidge of Forest Green has been targeted by a "number of teams" in our league, first thought was you lot using some Turnbull money on him.

Hmmmmm, we signed Frear from FGR but I'd honestly be surprised if we started splashing the sort of transfer fees that it would take to get Doidge. IIRC FGR were after £1m for him a while back.

I think I've mentioned this before in this thread but if we're talking could do a job I'd be curious how much Notts County would be looking at to get Kane Hemmings off their books.

Edit: Here you go...the FGR announcement re: Doidge to Bolton (which subsequently fell through)

Christian Doidge has joined Bolton Wanderers on loan until January, when he will leave Forest Green on a seven-figure permanent deal.

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

Hmmmmm, we signed Frear from FGR but I'd honestly be surprised if we started splashing the sort of transfer fees that it would take to get Doidge. IIRC FGR were after £1m for him a while back.

I think I've mentioned this before in this thread but if we're talking could do a job I'd be curious how much Notts County would be looking at to get Kane Hemmings off their books.

QUICK. SOMEONE SOUND THE STEELMEN ONLINE KLAXON.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Welsh?

Hard no from me.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is that the guy who was on loan at Bolton but they couldn't afford to keep him?

Is that the guy who was on loan at Bolton but they couldn't afford to keep him?

Yeah, that was him. He ended the season back playing at FGR because Bolton got a transfer embargo and couldn’t pay his wages or the pre-agreed transfer fee.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Edit: Here you go...the FGR announcement re: Doidge to Bolton (which subsequently fell through)

Apparently hes desperate to leave, Forest Green want him gone, and hes available for under £500k.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently hes desperate to leave, Forest Green want him gone, and hes available for under £500k.

Would definitely still be too rich for us IMO.

It's been more of an ongoing discussion over on Steelmen but @Swello touched on it earlier: I reckon the Turnbull money (when it comes) gets partly banked, partly re-invested into the Academy and tarts Fir Park up a bit (along with a modest increase in playing budget). I'd be amazed if we started chucking sizeable fees about again. Maybe £50k here or there but nothing substantial.