Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Whilst I feel a bit sorry for him as he undoubtedly deserved it, especially when you see some of the utter guff called up, I can’t say I’m overly disappointed from a Motherwell point of view. 

He’s still only 19 and he played a lot of football last season, I think I’m right in saying he’s only missed one game since October? Scotland play Belgium a week before we’re due back for pre-season, last thing you want is a similar situation to Campbell last year. 

Let the boy have a well earned rest, get a good pre-season in him and he’ll probably be in double figures before the end of the League Cup group stage. *

* If he’s still here.

Edited by Casagolda

I do unreservedly think Turnbull deserved a call up, but I guess with McGregor/Armstrong/McGinn/McTominay/McLean all in there, we are actually relatively well served in the centre. Every other position has room for incomers/youngsters. It could even be that Cairney finally deciding he's interested again is what cost Turnbull a place.

In other news: Morton/QOS/Dumbarton/Annan in the league cup.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe said:

I do unreservedly think Turnbull deserved a call up, but I guess with McGregor/Armstrong/McGinn/McTominay/McLean all in there, we are actually relatively well served in the centre. Every other position has room for incomers/youngsters. It could even be that Cairney finally deciding he's interested again is what cost Turnbull a place.

In other news: Morton/QOS/Dumbarton/Annan in the league cup.

Aye, he's just unlucky unfortunately. Better for the lad to get a break for next season anyway.

6 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

There’s no Scotland under 21 games so Turnbull should at least get a rest. He could still get a call up if we have the usual shit tonne of call offs.

Yep - after watching Campbell - the hardest working boy in Scottish fitba - looking fucked until Christmas - I'm intensely relaxed about Div getting the summer off..  

Aye I get that its good for the boy to get a rest, but a cap or two would have done his confidence absolute wonders, it would have also helped enhance any transfer fee potentially.

From my point of view, as a Motherwell fan, I love to see guys getting called up for their country, particularly Scotland as its unusual and a bit of an achievement

54 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

Aye I get that its good for the boy to get a rest, but a cap or two would have done his confidence absolute wonders, it would have also helped enhance any transfer fee potentially.

From my point of view, as a Motherwell fan, I love to see guys getting called up for their country, particularly Scotland as its unusual and a bit of an achievement

Can't argue with any of that.

For me, Turnbull would've been the squad on merit this time completely. I feel our last two Scotland internationals have been stumbled on to an extent. Cadden and Saunders stumbled into squads due to a high number of call-offs for unattractive friendlies, it's probably fair to say.

I've never been one to overly tout Motherwell players for Scotland when I don't think they deserve it either, in my time going to games (1997 - present), I would probably say the only Scotsman who played with us that deserved a cap and never got one is probably Martyn Corrigan.

Every time someone reminds me Steven Saunders got a cap my mind honestly bends. 

Wild stuff. 

Fully agreed on Corrigan. While it was a friendly and a bit daft, was always really pleased that Stevie Hammell got a cap. I know an international call up it isn't a 'reward' for being steady and consistent for ages, but I'd imagine it's something he's always quite proud of.

On Turnbull: I'm not really arsed. If folk don't want to see him play football then that's their loss, IMO. 

Edited by thisGRAEME
The world needs my hot DT take.

11 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Every time someone reminds me Steven Saunders got a cap my mind honestly bends. 

Wild stuff. 

Fully agreed on Corrigan. While it was a friendly and a bit daft, was always really pleased that Stevie Hammell got a cap. I know an international call up it isn't a 'reward' for being steady and consistent for ages, but I'd imagine it's something he's always quite proud of.

On Turnbull: I'm not really arsed. If folk don't want to see him play football then that's their loss, IMO. 

I know it's a stretch but in a world where Saunders, Garry Kenneth and Jack Hendry have 6 caps between them,  peak Mark Reynolds can probably consider himself unlucky not to have one.  

22 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

I know it's a stretch but in a world where Saunders, Garry Kenneth and Jack Hendry have 6 caps between them,  peak Mark Reynolds can probably consider himself unlucky not to have one.  

Saunders and Kenneth have more caps than St Johnstone, with all the players combined, have over 80 years...

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Saunders and Kenneth have more caps than St Johnstone, with all the players combined, have over 80 years...

Garry Kenneth has also won the same number of trophies as St Johnstone in that period, so seems about fair. 

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

Garry Kenneth has also won the same number of trophies as St Johnstone in that period, so seems about fair. 

hqdefault.jpg.490cc6d5b76793d2c43492de0c13c7b7.jpg

29 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

The classic Random Guy serve/volley of shite patter/it was a joke.

Should've known better.

Original and best, IMO.

I notice he's listed on his Wiki as being a 'forward'.

Seems he played League 1 level with Swindon as well as coming from a "non-league environment" and appeared on Wayne Rooney's Street Striker.

Here he is lads...going by his video that's he's Frear's replacement as a wide left option.

Edited by capt_oats