Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, weemac said:
I saw on twitter yesterday that we were interested in Notts County right winger Enzio Boldewijn.  No idea how reliable the source is though.

Take it ExAgentDave was the Tweet in question?

Regardless, like most on here I am fully behind this and on the Boldyin bus. Get him signed up Burrows.

Fwiw: It looks like he’s very much in the Gboly mould.

As an aside, seeing as County have been relegated I wondered if Kane Hemmings would be someone we’d ask about?

Edited by capt_oats

26 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Take it ExAgentDave was the Tweet in question?

Regardless, like most on here I am fully behind this and on the Boldyin bus. Get him signed up Burrows.

Fwiw: It looks like he’s very much in the Gboly mould.

As an aside, seeing as County have been relegated I wondered if Kane Hemmings would be someone we’d ask about?

Yeah that was the very one.  From what I can gather he fits the model as he was apparently brilliant at Crawley then seems to have lost his way at Notts County. 

Also I have actually heard of him from football manager (I know, I know) where he was in my Notts County side and finished joint top scorer with the aforementioned Kane Hemmings. 

Sign them up

Got a mate that is a Notts County season ticket holder.

“Got a lot of talent, pretty quick and powerful. Had a knee operation part way through last season. Came back and scored a couple of goals then went into hiding.”

Would we have got more money for McFadden if we hadn't been absolutely desperate for cash at the time?

Didn't Hackies get some ridiculously large fee for either McArthur or McCarthy, neither of whom I would rate above Turnbull?

30 minutes ago, nsr said:
Would we have got more money for McFadden if we hadn't been absolutely desperate for cash at the time?
Didn't Hackies get some ridiculously large fee for either McArthur or McCarthy, neither of whom I would rate above Turnbull?

If you believe Wiki McArthur was an initial £500k (he moved to Palace for £7m), McCarthy an initial £1.2m rising to £3m depending on clauses (he moved to Everton for £13m). Those add ons and secondary sales highlight precisely the point that @Desp is making.

Edited by capt_oats

Interesting wee bit in the blurb about O'Dea in terms of what he's doing and also it seems he interviewed for the role (according to Hammell).

O’Dea will work as a bridge between the academy and the reserve team at the club, helping to ensure our talented youngsters continue to have a clear pathway to first team football.

---------------------

“We’re very happy to have brought in Darren to the club,” Academy Director Steven Hammell added.

“He is an eager and talented coach who impressed us greatly during the interview process.

“His vast experience in the game as a player, together with his ideas and passion for coaching, will be a valuable addition and help to our emerging players.”

Edited by capt_oats

So, the Old Firm (or any visiting fans for the matter) will be housed in the South Stand only from now, due to concerns over segregation and ultimately safety.

On the face of it I'm delighted, particularly when we play the Glasgow b*****ds, it will make our own stadium seem, more like our own. What do we think the financial ramifications of this decision actually are?

I'm pleased to hear this as it kills the atmosphere stone dead whenever they move away fans from the South stand bottom tier, plus it presents a potential safety hazard for home fans in the PO'D stand when the Old Firm are in town. On the flip side of that it may increase the risk of their fans buying home end tickets should the South Stand sell out, but that's when the club and Motherwell supporters need to 'police' who gets to buy tickets.

Well done to Alan Burrows and the board for listening to the support. It's brilliant to have people running the club in touch with the fans, especially when you think back to the days of John Boyle bending over to the Old Firm at every turn.

7 minutes ago, MJC said:

I'm pleased to hear this as it kills the atmosphere stone dead whenever they move away fans from the South stand bottom tier, plus it presents a potential safety hazard for home fans in the PO'D stand when the Old Firm are in town. On the flip side of that it may increase the risk of their fans buying home end tickets should the South Stand sell out, but that's when the club and Motherwell supporters need to 'police' who gets to buy tickets.

Well done to Alan Burrows and the board for listening to the support. It's brilliant to have people running the club in touch with the fans, especially when you think back to the days of John Boyle bending over to the Old Firm at every turn.

Agreed...although I'm fairly certain there will be **** and **** in the Copper and East during most OF matches anyway.  As long as they don't 'out' themselves, it isn't really a problem and whenever they have done in the past, they've ended up on the wrong side of a sair coupon.

57 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

How many tickets do they get in the main stand? 1000 - 1500? So somewhere between £25k and £40k but possibly less stewarding and policing costs and it may encourage a few more home supporters along that would normally avoid these games.

I'm of the impression it's about 1000 tickets in that corner of the PO'D.  Like you say, when you deduct the costs from stewarding and policing from that area, the loss of income will be around £15k-£20k I'd say.  That's the absolute maximum, as you'll probably find a few more 'Well fans going along now.

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

Does that really happen anymore?  I can't really imagine a scenario where if a OF fan can't get one of the 4800 on sale, they'll pick one up for the home end for them to sit on their hands.  It's 99% certain to be on the telly anyway. 

2 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

Agreed...although I'm fairly certain there will be **** and **** in the Copper and East during most OF matches anyway.  As long as they don't 'out' themselves, it isn't really a problem and whenever they have done in the past, they've ended up on the wrong side of a sair coupon.

I really, really enjoyed the visitors in front of us at the 3-3, Peter Hartley game in the O'Donnell earlier in the season.

I don't think that feeling was reciprocated.