Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

FROM RIGHT OUT OF THE LEFT FIELD...we've signed a Danish International midfielder lads.

Casper Sloth ladies and gentlemen.

Edit: YASSSSSS!

On 5 March 2014, Sloth started for Denmark in a 1-0 loss to England at Wembley; Sloth put in an impressive performance though he did get booked for a bad tackle on England's Steven Gerrard.

steven-gerrard-of-england-is-tripped-by-

Edited by capt_oats

* Once a promising youngster. 

* Move to a 'big' club that didn't quite work out. 

* Dropped back down and stagnated for a while. 

* Motherwell see potential and offer platform  to kick-start career. 

Very much following  'The Model'. 

Slightly higher profile, with the international caps than some who have come in, improved with us, and moved on to bigger things in recent years. Intrigued to see how this one pans out. 

Welcome Casper. 

Welcome Casper. Great name so does not really matter if it works out. We have a Casper in our squad. He will ghost in and out of the side. 

As for European football. Miss it big time. But it can be a damp squib. Remember the time we had a potential 32 opponents and I could manage all but 3 one of those being Krasnodar. FFS. I mean we had Brugge, Feyenoord, Estoril, and umpteen accessible games. 

I managed along to Mypa 47 (my 1st), Nancy, Odense, Bucharest, Llanelli, Athens, + Reykjavik Briedlablik)

Nancy I could write a book about. Maddest Air, Road and Ferry trip ever. Athens I remember because if I have a pint I need a jimmy riddle after an hour. I must have drunk 10 pints and never went to toilet. hot as f*ck.....

10 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

So eh Liam Brown, he's evidently played lots for you so I'd imagine you'd all know loads about him? 

Is this a joke? 

I mean, he’s played a good bit for the reserves/Under 20’s pre injury but I’m pretty sure his only senior appearance came in a nothing, post-split game last season.

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:
So eh Liam Brown, he's evidently played lots for you so I'd imagine you'd all know loads about him?

There are a couple of posts about him a few pages back when the move was first rumoured.

Robinson mentioned that we’d pulled a loan move for him back in January because we wanted to see if we could get him in the first team (but also suggested he had been carrying an injury). He’s not really been seen much since.

Fwiw: Brown was a regular for our u20s/Reserves under Craigan. He stepped down around the end of December and Maurice Ross took his place. There seems to have been a change of approach at that level as a result.

We signed him from Queen’s Park and had been playing first team games with them. He’s tidy on the ball, likes a tackle but is definitely at the stage where he needs regular first team football and he was unlikely to get in ahead of Allan Campbell (who we’ve offered a new deal to) and it seems Ross is looking to the age groups below to kick on now, he was talking up Dean Cornelius a lot in the recent MFC Podcast.

There’s a lot to like about Brown. I’d hope he’d be able to do you guys a turn.

Edited by capt_oats

We've been away from European fitba long enough now, for me to absolutely crave another shot at it...

...Nancy was undoubtedly the best trip all in all, leaving Bellshill at 11pm and driving to Bristol for an early morning flight wasn't my best idea, considering everyone else in the motor was blitzed by the time we passed Larkhall. A few hours in Paris, seeing Claret and Amber clad folk, dotted about all over the place. The square in Nancy was jumping for days, a few pints with John Boyle, emptying a carry-out shop of their last remaining alcoholic beverages...and their one and only trolley. The polis letting off tear gas in the stadium, because a few 'well fans wanted to leave at the final whistle. Everything about the trip was minted.

Llanelli, again driving through the night on the Joker bus, to arrive in Llanelli at 6am, already gassed and just kept bevvying, nae idea how I made the game, and then straight back on the bevvy afterwards.

Bucharest...traveled myself via Amsterdam, and met mates over there. Again, blitzed (seems to be a recurring theme) for the whole time I was there...City Centre was lovely, but go a few streets out with the centre and it was pretty grim...the polis giving 3 of us a lift to the ground for our own safety. Going to an outdoor nightclub in the middle of a forest, with what appeared to be Romanian gangsters, seems like an even worse idea than driving to Bristol for a flight to Paris.

Odense...a bus from Fir Park Club to Denmark...fucking Denmark. Was absolutely brilliant to be honest, literally got to Odense about 3 hours before the game, and straight back on the bus afterwards to come home, but it was worth it to see that Hateley strike in the flesh. A few Motherwell fans lifted in the town centre that day, and one or two in the ground as well. Still feel sorry for the poor bus driver that had to tidy that bus up at the end of that shift.

So aye, about time we had another trip...sort it out Robbo

p.s. had heard we were signing a Danish international midfielder at the weekend, and was concerned that it might be one of the amateur boys that got capped when the Danes went on strike, so to see the pedigree of the guy we have signed is a bit of a relief.

5 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
15 hours ago, capt_oats said:
There he is...casually pinging them in from the half way line.
giphy.gif&key=0f5f1ddce0bdeb229720f52433a164d05e3ef22827a5e2f715e308e6ed8e89ab

I like the way he hits the ball while wearing a black strip then runs away celebrating in a completely different strip (Denmark?). Almost as if it's not actually him.

I've watched that about 20 times and never noticed that 

7 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

I've watched that about 20 times and never noticed that 

I noticed it eventually but mostly because I was impressed that he celebrated a goal from half way with a manly handshake and a jog back to the half way line :)

On Sloth himself - I'm all for it. Some of our best ever players have been off the scrapheap (and some of our worst) and there is always room in our squad for one or two like that...

Edited by Swello

Aye, I clocked it as well but it's the way the video has been put together and I was fucked if I was re-doing the GIF.

Slightly wary that there's not a decent YouTube edit with a Eurotrance soundtrack tbh. Hopefully @thisGRAEME has the login for The Terrace WyScout.

Cards on the table I 100% thought we were going to just announce Fané and give Donnelly a shot at cover or we'd announce some League 1 or 2 jobber. Suffice to say "a skillful and creative midfielder, with vision and ability to both up the tempo and hold on to the ball" with actual international caps for Denmark is quite the fucking curveball.

It feels like we've definitely shown him the Ally Gorrin sales brochure (though tbf the agency he's with is one we seem to have a good relationship with).

Fwiw: here are the profiles of McHugh, Gorrin and the bold Casper (thanks Wiki).

5ce51a87513b3_ScreenShot2019-05-22at09_24_22.png.d76a7638907743c4177272e241b53cca.png5ce51a86ab81e_ScreenShot2019-05-22at09_24_01.png.0e4c3dfd6642a0013ba00ca5d9ab5db6.png5ce51a8627a68_ScreenShot2019-05-22at09_23_42.png.4f5c756cc1d9f908da24d1fbc52ea288.png

In case anyone's interested this is the video I took the GIF from. It's a weird montage (the halfway line goal is from his "goals" section though).

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

Years of seeing favourite players leave can't help but make we wonder if he is also a feasible Turnbull replacement :ph34r:

Every chance.  As I've said elsewhere, I'll be amazed if Turnbull is still a Motherwell player by the beginning of September. 

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

Years of seeing favourite players leave can't help but make we wonder if he is also a feasible Turnbull replacement :ph34r:

I'd be surprised if Turnbull's still here next season but equally looking at the row of 0s in his 'goals scored' column and the fact that Robinson was quite explicit last week in his pre-match when he said that the midfielder was being brought in because McHugh and Gorrin were off makes me think that Sloth's a straight replacement in that area.