Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Nancy, Llanelli (yes, it fucking counts!) and Valencia for me.  I missed Athens as I'd just that week moved into a new flat so couldn't make it so was very determined to make the Levante game just after.

Nancy was the trip of a lifetime.  Bumping into just about every Motherwell fan you knew for three days, drinking the supermarkets dry.  I also ordered myself a cheese & ham baguette, in French, in one of the proudest moments of my life!  Merci, cunto!

I spent the game itself hiding behind folk as the game was live on BBC One Scotland and I'd phoned in sick from work for the week!  Some bounce about for the penalty save considering I don't think we got near their goal over the 90 minutes.

Edit - Since my last European jaunt, I've got married and have a young family so I'm more than happy to wait, say, 10-15 years until the next one... ;)

Edited by Desp

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Nancy, Iceland and Athens, for me.

Athens remains the most burnt I've ever been in my entire life, and a huge regret after my camera broke and ate all my photos. Upsetting.

Athens was mental - remember getting off the BA flight at 2am or similar and the temp was 35 degrees. The day of the game it was like an oven, still can't believe our players were able to deal with that (although obviously we got pumped)...

Speaking of Levante, I was at their game vs Eibar back in March and there are mentions of Motherwell in a number of places around the stadium as we were their first ever European opponents.

They were still selling half and half Motherwell/Levante scarves (which a decent number of people in the crowd were wearing) and had copies of the pre-match line up picture of the game at Fir Park in their club shop.

We spoke to a few of their fans at the game who were delighted when they found out the majority of us were Motherwell fans, mentioned they came over for their away leg and said a lot of Levante fans keep an eye out for our results.

Gannon was before 10/11.

With out loooking it up I am sure we never qualified as I mind being a bit peeved cos the cup runner up wasn't getting in and that was relatively new to me.

Your right, gannon was season before.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Athens was mental - remember getting off the BA flight at 2am or similar and the temp was 35 degrees. The day of the game it was like an oven, still can't believe our players were able to deal with that (although obviously we got pumped)...

Aye. I'd started working in London about a month previous, and had no leave to take as their year was about to end. Ended up having to take unpaid leave and explain to my boss that I was away to Athens for 48 hours to see a game we were 3-0 down in.

Athens was just generally a bit surreal. Being told we couldn't get the metro cause we'd get stabbed. Drinking in the square with Nicky Law's brothers who then ended up being a Motherwell player. The dozens of 'Well taxis out to the stadium passing beers from car to car. Almost falling out the window trying to climb onto the door. Running down the line of robocops at full-time trying to get high-fives. The Taxi driver reacting with genuine disdain for a boy who'd just been knocked off a moped in front of us and fucking his bike oot the way. 

The whole thing felt like I'd been there for about 15 minutes. 

Odense is the one I'm gutted I missed. I'd planned a route there which I shat out of, as it was like, Train, bus, flight, train, bus, train or something stupid. Ended up destroying my living room when Tom Hateley's free-kick went in, so maybe I'd have been better there.

Edited by thisGRAEME

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Odense is the one I'm gutted I missed. I'd planned a route there which I shat out of, as it was like, Train, bus, flight, train, bus, train or something stupid. Ended up destroying my living room when Tom Hateley's free-kick went in, so maybe I'd have been better there.

I mind watching the Odense game on a honking stream and my dad & I similarly turning the living room upside down when Hateley scored. I was convinced we'd make it all the way when that went in. 

Similarly when he scored that last minute free kick against St Mirren I absolutely thought we'd win the league. 

Odense was the only proper jump I got in all these trips (unless you count the penalty save in Nancy) - the goal at Breidablik was a polite round of applause job, so it was brilliant to go mental. I would love to have been at Aalesund - but the logistics weren't happening as it was a few days after Iceland and there was no way I was getting off work again. I'd seen this photo:

27948394509_aacd9b9987_b.jpg

and I was fucking desperate to go. Still want to go there actually...

f**k it - back into Europe in 2020 please!

Nancy (Llanllei) & Athens for me only.

I couldn't afford the rest or get holidays.

Nancy was great. Eurostar and a train to Nancy. That big square was great. I lost my Passport I was that drunk. The French polis gave me a letter that they let me through Passport control with on the way home (after a bit of background checking). I woke up on a bench in the middle of one of the nights and a bunch of guys knew my name and described themselves as the "Pather boys", well that's my drunken recollection of events.

Athens was even better, about 5 of us went out for a week. It was 42 degrees every day. We were in a hotel in the middle of the city, roof pool, the wee guys in the hotel feeding us free melon as we cooked in the sun. One night we went out and found an open air nightclub, Greek hip hop blaring all night we asked them to play "Jump Around". it was some night. Then all the well fans arrived and we did the usual fitba fans abroad stuff. Athens was full of Junkies anaw.

I dunno how folk got the Holidays from work for some of the "runs".

3 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I woke up on a bench in the middle of one of the nights and a bunch of guys knew my name and described themselves as the "Pather boys", well that's my drunken recollection of events.

Did you have a sore arse when you woke up from this encounter?

24 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I dunno how folk got the Holidays from work for some of the "runs".

I used the excuse at work (and at home!) that it could be the last time for 20 years that we would play in Europe. That one kept me going for years as it was (a) true and (b) quite difficult to argue against :) 

My pal going off on his own to play strip rock paper scissor in Nancy with a couple of french lassies and a few other pals, and being unaware of where we were staying, only to appear in the morning after just 'getting on a tram cause we were on one' minutes before we left for the ferry remains the most incredible pieces dumb luck I've ever seen.

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

My pal going off on his own to play strip rock paper scissor in Nancy with a couple of french lassies and a few other pals, and being unaware of where we were staying, only to appear in the morning after just 'getting on a tram cause we were on one' minutes before we left for the ferry remains the most incredible pieces dumb luck I've ever seen.

For your mates' sake, I hope they weren't "the Pather boys".

Playing squad update announced here.

A number of players will leave Motherwell at the conclusion of the 2018/19 season.

The following first team players were either not offered contracts or have informed the club they intend to leave after 31 May 2019.

• Carl McHugh
  • Elliott Frear
  • Alex Rodriguez Gorrín
  • Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
  • George Newell
  • Christian Mbulu
  • Jake Hastie
  • Curtis Main

The following reserve players will also depart:

• Shaun Bowers
  • Liam Brown
  • Shea Gordon
  • Kyle MacDonald
  • Neil McLaughlin
  • Akeal Rehman
  • Broque Watson

Four further players will leave as their loan deals expire when the summer transfer window opens again in early June.

• Tom Aldred (Bury)
  • Gboly Ariyibi (Nottingham Forest)
  • Ross McCormack (Aston Villa)
  • Conor Sammon (Heart of Midlothian)

Chris Cadden has been offered an extended contract but is yet to sign.

Craig Tanner has been offered a short-term deal to help ensure he regains full fitness, following a long-term knee injury that has sidelined him since March 2018.

When Craig is fit to rejoin training, he will be assessed by the coaching staff with a view to winning an extended contract.

The following players have already signed pre-contract agreements and will join the club for pre-season training in June.

• Declan Gallagher
  • Liam Polworth
  • Jake Carroll

No real surprises there tbh. Nice to finally have it all confirmed though.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Oh aye. I also shat in the bath in Nancy. Horrible.

" I once shat on Nancy in the bath" 

The Sven-Goran Eriksson autobiography chapter 14, page 254 *

* Not really