Jump to content
Casagolda

Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Recommended Posts

Aldred's been the best centre half we've had in about 10 years. I'll be sad to see him go but fair play to him if he makes a success of it elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Was surprised to hear Maurice Ross on the podcast say we had the 2nd lowest wage budget in the top flight.  I would have thought and still do think it would have been higher than Livi, St Mirren and Hamilton. Maybe with bonuses etc thrown in. 

I expect that we pay less than St Mirren, more than Livi, and that Hamilton don't actually pay their players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Love Tam, and sad to see him go. 

Always seemed like he was having a good laugh here, while being magic at the fitba. Fair play.

This.

Plus his song is fantastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's yer Scott Mullen tweeting. "Understood" Aldred, McHugh and Gorrin all away. Wee Al has been offered a new deal.

Presumably that's in addition to (at least) Main. No great surprises there other than Campbell being offered a new deal. I'm 1,000,000% on board with it but given he's still got 2 years on his current one it's good news he's being "rewarded" (should he choose to sign).

I had actually meant to say after listening to the Mo Ross interview, one of the consistent highlights recently has been hearing the coaching staff lose their shit about how great Campbell is.

 

Edited by capt_oats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointed to see Aldred go but not surprised in the slightest. Same goes fo McHugh - I thought we would maybe have looked to try and keep him but possibly as a centre half. I've always thought he was better in that position as he's far too slow on the ball to play in midfield.

Will be interesting to see where Gorrin ends up. It's been said by others previously but fair fucks to him / his agent if he manages to get someone in the English Championship off the back of 6 good months with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I'm gutted about Ali G leaving. Mainly because I loved us having a Spanish midfielder running about kicking folk while a few wee guys from Wishaw played sexy football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With McHugh, I'm fairly sure we'd have liked to have kept him but it's difficult to see how it'd really be a satisfactory outcome from his POV. He's signed an extension previously and given us 100+ games (and 4 concussions). I'd imagine everyone feels he's done his bit.

Ally Gorrin has proven to be a better option anchoring the midfield 3 and McHugh would have been unlikely to have been a first pick at centre half as Dunne (for all his mistakes) has shown the benefit of pace in that area of the park and it's a quality McHugh has never really had.

McHugh's 26 now so if he can get a better paying gig elsewhere then fair fucks to him. I like McHugh and some of the stick he's had is absolutely miles oot but at the same time it's difficult to argue against the fact that we've clearly been a better team with Gorrin in the midfield 3. 

It's going to be unlikely McHugh would sign an extension on the wages we'll be offering when he knows he's likely to be more of a 'squad option'. If we're sticking with 433 then Gorrin's the benchmark of the level we need to replace.

Edited by capt_oats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Tbh I'm gutted about Ali G leaving. Mainly because I loved us having a Spanish midfielder running about kicking folk while a few wee guys from Wishaw played sexy football. 

I liked how our ball playing Spaniard in midfield was also a hammer throwing savage. The ideal mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the news coming out of FP today...

Big Trevor Carson's in the squad for tomorrow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Scott Mullen tweeting. "Understood" Aldred, McHugh and Gorrin all away. Wee Al has been offered a new deal.

Presumably that's in addition to (at least) Main. No great surprises there other than Campbell being offered a new deal. I'm 1,000,000% on board with it but given he's still got 2 years on his current one it's good news he's being "rewarded" (should he choose to sign).

I had actually meant to say after listening to the Mo Ross interview, one of the consistent highlights recently has been hearing the coaching staff lose their shit about how great Campbell is.

 

Not a great surprise at those leaving and no doubt a good few more to follow them as well.   Declan Gallagher coming you could say is probably a replacement for Aldred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

Not a great surprise at those leaving and no doubt a good few more to follow them as well.   Declan Gallagher coming you could say is probably a replacement for Aldred.

As soon as the signing was rumoured that was my thinking. Seems a fairly like-for-like replacement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

All the news coming out of FP today...

Big Trevor Carson's in the squad for tomorrow.

 

Is he usually bang on? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is he usually bang on? 

Well, that tweet in the post you've quoted is coming from the club so I'd hope it's accurate. Unless I'm being whooshed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Well, that tweet in the post you've quoted is coming from the club so I'd hope it's accurate. Unless I'm being whooshed?

Quoted the wrong post :lol: meant Scott Burns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quoted the wrong post :lol: meant Scott Burns.

Scott MULLEN is always spot on with 'Well stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Quoted the wrong post :lol: meant Scott Burns.

You mean Scott Mullen? :lol:. Scott Burns is also usually on it as well fwiw.

Anyway, aye he's close to the club. I'd say that the fact the story about the 3 moving came roughly around the same time as the manager's press conference means it's accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Swello said:

Scott MULLEN is always spot on with 'Well stuff

 

33 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

You mean Scott Mullen? :lol:. Scott Burns is also usually on it as well fwiw.

Anyway, aye he's close to the club. I'd say that the fact the story about the 3 moving came roughly around the same time as the manager's press conference means it's accurate.

I give up :lol:

Just so I could add McHugh and Gorrin to the confirmed deals thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Link

Assume this was the basis of today’s news. Aldred confirms he’s away(some nice words for Motherwell and Scottish football) and Robinson confirms McHugh is leaving as well. 

Nothing on Ally Gorrin right enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

Link

Assume this was the basis of today’s news. Aldred confirms he’s away(some nice words for Motherwell and Scottish football) and Robinson confirms McHugh is leaving as well. 

Nothing on Ally Gorrin right enough.

I'll add McHugh but not Gorrin, cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...