Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

36 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

on that note, have Motherwell let anyone go in the last, say 20 years that we have regretted? Is lawless the only one who you'd be inclined to say could probably have done a job for us at one point.

also after listening to Si ferry's interview with Steven Fletcher, I had no idea he was on the books with us before Hibs.

I'm sure Lawless could have probably got in the team but you then think we had Lionel ripping them into the top corner from 35 yards at points in the last few years I don't think you could say we missed out any much. 

Everyone else? Pretty much all of them have gone on to do a whole lot of nothing. 

With quite frankly freaky timing there's yer [mention=12133]AndyRoss[/mention] doing a MFC Podcast interview with the bold Mo Ross on the whole Academy ting...

Hope folk enjoy this, really impressive guy.

35 minutes ago, AndyRoss said:

Hope folk enjoy this, really impressive guy.

Really, really, really enjoyed that. Easily one of the best you guys have done.

I'd been looking forward to hearing what Mo had to say generally but that really is 100% recommended listening.

Edited by capt_oats

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah Chalmers is never a defender in a million years.  He's a left footed CM and we get some decent performances from him in that role.  We tried him at LB for the first 2 games of last season and Robbo has never played him there since. 

I assume ICT have found a pair of boots that fit him, when he was with us he seemed to be running with a pair at least 2 sizes too big.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'd been looking forward to hearing what Mo had to say generally but that really is 100% recommended listening.

Good interview but what the hell was he talking about with Pep Guardiola- nobody had heard of Sane before? Wit.

I'm sure Lawless could have probably got in the team but you then think we had Lionel ripping them into the top corner from 35 yards at points in the last few years I don't think you could say we missed out any much. 
Everyone else? Pretty much all of them have gone on to do a whole lot of nothing. 
Lawless could have done a job for us over the last few years but when we released him we were qualifying for Europe every year. He's never been close to the level of player we had in those days.

14 hours ago, ropy said:

I assume ICT have found a pair of boots that fit him, when he was with us he seemed to be running with a pair at least 2 sizes too big.

Joe Chalmers was wearing Ryan Bowman's boots?

A fine conspiracy.

16 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Yep - a great listen and not really what I was expecting to be honest (and that's before we get to his casual use of "Pedagogical"). I can imagine (just as was the case with Craggs) that young boys will listen to what he's saying as he seems pretty focussed. 

It's easy to get carried away - but although as supporters we worry about/focus on the first team - the Academy and Reserves seems to be run properly given the amount of money we are able to throw at it. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Yep - a great listen and not really what I was expecting to be honest (and that's before we get to his casual use of "Pedagogical"). I can imagine (just as was the case with Craggs) that young boys will listen to what he's saying as he seems pretty focussed. 

It's easy to get carried away - but although as supporters we worry about/focus on the first team - the Academy and Reserves seems to be run properly given the amount of money we are able to throw at it. 

Definitely. 

I arrived for the Academy chat and happily stayed for his fulsome praise of Robinson as a coach and manager along with his polite bodying of McCall's cup final approach and the relative preparedness of that squad compared to the current one. The #RobinsonOut brigade would do well to have a proper listen to this pod as Ross is showing his working for why he thinks Robinson is as good a coach as he's saying.

There were loads of interesting bits and pieces. Not least his fairly candid assessment of where we were and how we were running things along with the benefit of bringing fresh eyes to things eg: Semple's an #8 rather than a #9 or wide player. Hearing that Dean Cornelius is (to all intents and purposes) the new Allan Campbell is good news as he's another who is ML1 A.F.

I wasn't expecting to hear the extent of his budget cuts but thought his position about the idea of rather being known as an "efficient" Academy than shoehorning 10-12 boys from the Academy in every year was interesting and actually quite in line with a few of the posts above off the back of Shea Gordon moving to Thistle.

"We can't compete with the Rangers, Celtic and the Aberdeens [in terms of budget] but what we can compete on 100%, and we're better, at is pathway to the first team. So what I'd rather be focused on is we can only bring in 4 or maybe 5 this year but of that 4 50% made the first team. That's where I think we should be. Smaller squad, less cost, higher output."

"We should be known as an efficient club that when you come into this environment you've got a right chance of getting there. Not just kinda trawling bringing in 20 people hoping that 1 makes it every 3 years. No, hand-picked and be efficient in getting them through because what it then does is let other boys not waste time."

The other thing that seems pretty progressive in terms of thought is the idea of focussing on areas of the park we're short in. For years we just seem to have been running separate squads.

"There's been a bit of a paradigm shift in terms of 18s > 20s > First Team and I think we're on the right track. We've got great communication between the Academy now this is something that Stevie Hammell has indicated. Las has indicated that the communication means there's a thread to everything now. I speak to Stevie Hammell two, three times a week. "What's happening, who's doing well, what are we thinking?" and another thing we're also looking at from an Academy point of view is we have a set-up that right now, as it stands we are short of wingers in our club. So what we're now saying is "OK, let's look to fill these gaps" because if I, for instance have 3 right backs at u18 level, 3 of them aren't going to play.

So what we're then saying is "OK, let's bring in 1 right back to then push on and maybe become a Grimmy but I don't want to bring in 3 because my budget is slashed, my budget is halved so OK, we'll bring in 1. Is there a winger? Yeah, we'll bring in a winger because the pathway is not blocked by 4 u20 wingers. So you see, it's about building this puzzle of what we need. Now in exceptional circumstance there could be two phenomenal central defenders and you'd say "yeah bring them in" and y'know that's how we're doing it and that only comes from communication from Hammy > Me. Me > Las. Las > the Manager."

I mean all of that just seems to make sense. Especially when you see the number of players we've had going through the Academy who, in hindsight, really just seemed to be making up the numbers.

Edited by capt_oats

On 15/05/2019 at 12:17, well fan for life said:

He can't tackle and is slower than a week in the jail. 

He could, however, ping the mince into a Findus crispy pancake from 30 yards using his left foot.

Am I too late to nominate this as Post of the Season? 

Sensational work, sir. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yer man Tom Aldred is off to Australia seemingly.

Apologises if it's already been mentioned.

What was his crime? I didn't even know he'd been arrested.