Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

42 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

:lol:

I quite like the guy but if he manages to get a substantial wage increase on the back of a season where he’s scored 3 league goals in 31 games then fair play to him and his agent.

37 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I can't see where he fits in at either club TBH. Outwith Cosgrove, Aberdeen have enough strikers who don't score goals and Hearts already have Ikpeazu as their "physical presence" up front.

Based on absolutely nothing at all, I think if Main does go then it will be back to England.

When Scott Burns broke the original story in The Express about Aberdeen being interested the line was that his preference was to go back south. Which is hardly a surprise. If Aberdeen and Hearts are offering enough to tempt him to stay up here then fair fucks.

As of last month there had been no "movement" in terms of us speaking to him about a new deal. Prior to that he had planned to "assess his future" in January. He was only just in the door last season but given his purple patch he wasn't one of those who signed extensions prior to the SC final (I'm pretty sure Tait, Dunne etc were due to be up this season).

Given he's not really an obvious fit for sexy Motherwell at the moment and it looks like we hadn't sat down with him about extending by April it's not a massive leap to think that we've (at best) made a token offer (if we have actually made an offer) and/or we're not actually that fussed about whether he stays or goes.

I could see Robinson being happy enough at the opportunity to use Main's wage to bring in someone more in line with what we need as the team has evolved.

Edited by capt_oats

I think going back down South would probably be his preferred option but it depends if the offers are there I suppose. I’ve always gotten the impression the rest of the footballing world doesn’t rate Curtis Main as highly as he rates himself. 

If it came down to it, doubling your money to live in Edinburgh and play in front of 15 thousand plus every other week would surely appeal more than pitching up at some League 2 mob in the arse end of nowhere playing in front of two men and a dog.

I’d imagine he’d be quite a high earner and while I do think he’s been a decent player who’s ‘done a job’ for us, as the Capt says it’s hard not to think the money couldn’t be put to better use this summer.

Edited by Casagolda

14 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I think going back down South would probably be his preferred option but it depends if the offers are there I suppose. I’ve always gotten the impression the rest of the footballing world doesn’t rate Curtis Main as highly as he rates himself. 

If it came down to it, doubling your money to live in Edinburgh and play in front of 15 thousand plus every other week would surely appeal more than pitching up at some League 2 mob in the arse end of nowhere playing in front of two men and a dog.

I’d imagine he’d be quite a high earner and while I do think he’s been a decent player who’s ‘done a job’ for us, as the Capt says it’s hard not to think the money could be put to better use this summer.

He's from Tyneside I think, I seem to remember there was an interview with Martin Foyle where he suggested "location" had been a factor in getting the deal "over the line" given we were signing him from Portsmouth. So you'd think if that's true then Hearts would be a pretty decent shout. Wage bump, playing at Tynecastle and on the East coast so relatively straightforward travel.

Between the wages/contributions we're paying for Main, Sammon, McCormack, Newell and Tanner (all of whom are out of contract/returning to their parent club) that's a fair chunk of budget to work with.

Edited by capt_oats

22 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I’ve always gotten the impression the rest of the footballing world doesn’t rate Curtis Main as highly as he rates himself. 

Theres been a rumour around Twitter for months that his agent is constantly hawking him to Celtic and Rangers :lol:

I've never been a fan of the approach that some players take when they try too hard to please supporters (badge kissing, calling their current club "massive" when it patently isn't, putting #COYx at the end of every we go again tweet, etc). Main has been the polar opposite of that  though - he's never come over as being remotely enthused about ending up at Fir Park and in a clearer way than most, it's all been about the stepping stone for him. I'd imagine that he'd take any option other than us in the summer.

That said, I actually liked him as a player - I thought in our good spell from Jan until he was dropped in preference to Scott he was pretty effective as a loan striker (apart from er, actually scoring goals). I think in the right setup, he'd be a good partner for another striker that does actually score goals and I'd assume that is where other managers see him.

It's weird this year (and it's probably a result of a very non-descript season) - but there is a strong feeling that pretty much all of the out of contract players are eminently replaceable and are welcome to seek the bigger wage packet that you can get almost everywhere else. The only ones that I'll be genuinely sad to see go will be Tam Aldred and the bold Gboly.

Edited by Swello

Just caught up on the Turnbull for Scotland thread. Fair to say it took an unexpected turn...wild.
Wow! Just read that. Absolutely bonkers and Turnbull hardly gets mentioned after the first few pages. Tartan Tammy is all over the place again with random deleted posts popping up in other people's quotes.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres been a rumour around Twitter for months that his agent is constantly hawking him to Celtic and Rangers :lol:

I was speaking to a guy at work the other day (Rangers fan) and he was telling me he'd love if they signed Main - he seemed a little surprised when I told him I'd love that too. 

Robinson doing his bit with the press pre-match:

Ahead of the Ladbrokes Premiership clash with St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park on Saturday, Well boss Robinson revealed a more realistic approach to transfers and recruitment.

He said: “It is very difficult. We have offered a lot of players contracts and they are getting a lot of offers as they are entitled to do from other clubs.

“Some have indicated they won’t sign, some have indicated they will look elsewhere. All I can do is hope they can sign.

“It is a credit to our scouting staff and academy that all these players have been linked with other clubs.

“Unfortunately it is difficult to keep them with the finances at the football club.

“It is extremely frustrating but I don’t begrudge anybody. That’s football.

“If those two players you mentioned (Cadden, Main) choose to go elsewhere, one (Cadden) will be very much protected by compensation."

Hands up on my part. When Cadden was linked with Doncaster yesterday I had absolutely no idea they were in the League 1 Play-Offs with a shout at promotion to the Championship.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Robinson doing his bit with the press pre-match:

Hands up on my part. When Cadden was linked with Doncaster yesterday I had absolutely no idea they were in the League 1 Play-Offs with a shout at promotion to the Championship.

I thought they were in League 2 so fair play to Cadden if Doncaster go up and give him a genuine opportunity to play in the Championship. He'd be daft to turn that down.

57 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

"Unfortunately it is difficult to keep them with the finances at the football club."

This gets on my tits to an irrational extent. What's wrong with just saying "the club"? Does he think we'll get confused with Motherwell Snooker Club?

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I was on a 3 day bender then a 4 day fear recovery and I basically decided not to pay attention to anything happening. I take it nothing happened.

That's a bad ratio - it must have been some 3 days :)

When Main was in form and chucking defenders about he was tremendous entertainment. Shouldering Tavernier into another dimension to set up Campbell last season was bloody delightful. 

He does absolutely look like he doesn't give a f**k, though. Fair fucks to him if he gets more money after scoring 3 goals all season.