Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I notice elsewhere some Motherwell fans saying Neil Alexander would be worth signing, my response is he is past it and at 38 why on earth sign someone that age when we criticise the club for the amount of old guys we currently have.   Plenty other keepers out there will be available and much more worth pursuing.

Edited by Del_Superwell

I wouldn't be going out my way to sign Neil Alexander.  He's a decent enough 'keeper, but is he that much better than Samson?

As for him being 38, I think it's less of an issue for a goalkeeper.  We got a good few years out of Gordon Marshall when we signed him, and he can't have been much younger than that, if at all.  Before Hearts, Alexander would have spent a lot of time on the bench at Rangers, so i'd say he's got a few years left in him yet.

Good video on the BBC website about the 91 cup winning team, not going to lie i got a wee bit emotional watching it. I really would love a wee trip to Hampden again next season we've been away for far too long.

I'm going along to the night at the Cooper tonight.  Re-run of the '91 final.  Haven't watched it in a while, so should be decent. 

Agreed. A cup run should be one the main aims for next season.

I refuse to count the 2011 final. Everything about that day was shite, from the weather to the result.

Very true.  The day of the 2011 final was terrible.  Our bus left JD's at 1:30pm, and we got dropped off at the wrong side at Hampden at 3:05pm (f**k knows which way it went).  Then got drenched running to the ground, missed the teams coming out and Motherwell got humped 3-0. 

To be fair, it was some night back in JD's.  I can only imagine how good it would have been if we'd actually won it!

Neil Alexander would be a very good signing for us IMO. A very reliable and experienced goalkeeper and his age wouldn't be an issue as we signed Marshall at 38 and he did well enough at FP.

Given that we'll have known that Ripley would be going back to Boro since the start of last season and also been aware that Samson was only here on an end of season deal I'd have liked to have thought that we'd have been looking at goalkeeping options from that point forward.

I find the fact that we've released Brett Long quite interesting given that should Samson leave then that will be 3 goalkeepers out the door this Summer.

For what it's worth I thought the development & improvement we saw in Ripley reflected well on Jim Hollman.

Edited by capt_oats

I did a quick season review of us for The Terrace:

http://terracepodcast.net/season-player-ratings-201516-motherwell/

#plug

Good write up. My one minor quibble is giving Kennedy a better mark than Hall. Kennedy literally gives away a goal a game with his lack of awareness and sloppy tackling I would have given him a 5. Hall has been steady, almost the definition of a 6/10 player.

Could have pushed McManus to an 8 considering the guys he has had to marshal in defence and has managed it while cutting out his own errors.

On the Lasley and Hammell point imo Keith is more worthy of getting another season since he still manages to be on the park almost every week whereas Stevie Hammell has been a walking injury for 2 years. We need a new left back whether Hammell stay on or not.

Hammell and Lasley have been worth their weight in gold for us for years now but we simply cannot afford not to at least look to replace them for the new season. Lasley will be 37 in September and it is just unrealistic and unfair to expect him to continue carrying our entire midfield as let's face it, that's what he's done now since Steve Jennings left in 2012. Hammell is now 34 years old and injuries have hampered him in the last two years, yet he's still by far and away the best left back we have had during that same time and that's worrying. I wouldn't be disappointed to see both retained but we need to look to bring in players to at the very least challenge their positions and eventually replace them.

Edited by MJC

Good write up. My one minor quibble is giving Kennedy a better mark than Hall. Kennedy literally gives away a goal a game with his lack of awareness and sloppy tackling I would have given him a 5. Hall has been steady, almost the definition of a 6/10 player.

Could have pushed McManus to an 8 considering the guys he has had to marshal in defence and has managed it while cutting out his own errors.

I can see all of those, I'm perhaps influenced by hall's last day performance, and my love for Kennedy throwing himself at fucking everything.

McManus gets credit, but he's still culpable for rashness, I reckon. All fair.

I see Nicky Law has been released by Rangers - would anyone take him back (although I'm guessing he's be after more than we could pay)?

I still find it very bizarre that someone that was a very good player for us has spent the entirety of his next contract in the lower leagues of Scotland, the majority of which playing against part time teams...

He was largely disappointing for Rangers as well, i cant say i feel sorry for him, it was never career progression for him apart from the bigger wages.  Had he stayed an extra year or so with us couldve got a decent gig down south.  Be interesting to see where he goes next.

I liked Nicky Law when he was here but his time has come and gone and as I've said before, we need to move away from this policy of re-signing popular ex players and start looking to the future and showing a bit more vision when recruiting players. That said though we do need to recruit for central midfield, but it would be nice if just for once we looked forward and not backwards when doing so.

Is he significantly better than Cadden in the same role, to the extent where it's worth the extra expense and stunting Cadden's development? Probably not IMO, and I can't see where else he'd fit in the team.

Plus- Nicky Law's a c**t.

I think that's fair. Realistically the positions in midfield we need to address are Lasley (whether he re-signs or not) and Pearson as our midfield has tended to fall apart when they've not been there. You'd like to think that we'd be looking at a couple of players with some experience that would allow us to keep playing Cadden there and also integrate the likes of Campbell, Turnbull and MacLean (assuming he re-signs) without leaving us with a totally inexperienced midfield.

Law would probably tick a few boxes but equally I'm not sure the undoubted extra expense for a 28 year old who has spent the last 3 years playing in the lower leagues is necessarily worth it.

Edited by capt_oats

Again, I loved Nicky Law during his time with Motherwell, but that time is in the past.  Move on. 

No doubt the move worked out financially for him, but footballing wise...

League 1 Winners medal - ever present.

Championship Winners medal - bit part player.

Petrofac Cup Winners medal - bit part player.

I think he may, taking away the financial aspect of it, have one or two regrets about not going down south when he had the chance at 25 years of age.  He's spent three years of his footballing prime playing against part-timers and spending time on the bench. 

Edited by Desp

I think he may, taking away the financial aspect of it, have one or two regrets about not going down south when he had the chance at 25 years of age.  He's spent three years of his footballing prime playing against part-timers and spending time on the bench. 

Was there not talk at the time that Leeds were interested in taking him on before he signed up at the new club? If that was the case and a team like that were a viable option then I can't imagine that he'd have been that worse off financially.