G Brannan (M) N/A  
(76) J Spencer (F) N/A  
O Coyle (F) N/A  

S Woods (G) N/A  
E May (D) N/A  
(66) L McCulloch (D) N/A  
D Ramsay (M) N/A  
(76) P Nevin (F) N/A  

A team with Mikko Kaven in goal and Kevin Christie in defence! Jeezo, those were some grim times :lol:

9 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

I sometimes scare myself with how good (or sad) my memory is, especially because I was 8, but I think Woods was initially due to start and got injured in the warm up.

Aye - Woods was (regrettably) still first choice at that point.

7 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe said:

I sometimes scare myself with how good (or sad) my memory is, especially because I was 8, but I think Woods was initially due to start and got injured in the warm up.

I'm of a similar way.  I could tell you more random things about games & players in the mid 90s than I could about the same things three or four years ago. 

Going back to that line-up, I always thought Jamie McGowan was an underrated defender.  Around that time, the likes of Teale & latterly Kemble took a lot of the plaudits, but I always felt he was a solid defender at our level. 

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

Aye - Woods was (regrettably) still first choice at that point.

We must have had a decade or so of terrible keepers to keep on going back to him as first choice.

Just now, crazylegsjoe said:

Woods was with us for nine seasons and in that time managed to lose his place to Scott Howie, Mikko Kaven, Andy Goram, Mark Brown and Francois Dubourdeau at different points. Says a lot about his time with us that he managed to lose the number one to five different keepers. 

I still recall Woods' appearance as a right winger in a League Cup tie away to Clydebank.  He was our last available sub when we lost van der Gaag to his leg break.  A quick dash back to the dressing room and back out in the full kit.

Absolutely surreal.  It was also the first time I'd seen us win a penalty shoot-out live. 

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

I still recall Woods' appearance as a right winger in a League Cup tie away to Clydebank.  He was our last available sub when we lost van der Gaag to his leg break.  A quick dash back to the dressing room and back out in the full kit.

Absolutely surreal.  It was also the first time I'd seen us win a penalty shoot-out live. 

Was there that at Kilbowie for that one - still one of the weirdest days ever watching the team. I think Woods got about two touches but it was still funny to see. One thing that stuck in my mind was that as soon as he had an outfield kit on, he looked much taller for some reason.

I'd seen us win the SC QF penalty shootout at Cappielow in 91 - but it was (and is) a total rarity to see 'Well win on Penalties...

Talking of the Rangers game above and then this game, it's made me think again about how depressingly shite Scottish football is about using the archives of these type of games.  I know that there weren't cameras at so many games in the past (I doubt there was at Kilbowie for instance), but there should be a way to access this stuff as it's of practically no commercial value and shouldn't be hidden away. Fans of every team talk about old games and would like to be able to see them but if it wasn't for "amateurs"  (like the brilliant  "Gobstopper68" account on youtube for our stuff) -  there would be nothing at all other than what the SPFL decide to feature as a "classic match" now and again. If the SPFL own the historic rights, they should do a lot more with them....

12 minutes ago, Swello said:

Talking of the Rangers game above and then this game, it's made me think again about how depressingly shite Scottish football is about using the archives of these type of games.  I know that there weren't cameras at so many games in the past (I doubt there was at Kilbowie for instance), but there should be a way to access this stuff as it's of practically no commercial value and shouldn't be hidden away. Fans of every team talk about old games and would like to be able to see them but if it wasn't for "amateurs"  (like the brilliant  "Gobstopper68" account on youtube for our stuff) -  there would be nothing at all other than what the SPFL decide to feature as a "classic match" now and again. If the SPFL own the historic rights, they should do a lot more with them....

Absolutely.  I was having a conversation with @AndyRoss about something similar after watching the Steelmen documentary (I also watched the Tommy Burns & Tannadice '83 docs on BBC Alba around this time).  BBC Scotland must have a shitload of archive footage as well from the old Sportscenes.  There's certainly a wee opportunity now with the new BBC Scotland channel about to launch.  You'd think there would be a big demand for old footage like that, put together in some kind of series of half hour shows.  I'm certain they done something similar a few years back, when they reviewed particular teams/seasons over the last 30/40 years (I remember watching the Hearts 1986 story). 

I'm sure I've asked this before on here, but never found an answer.  Does anyone know who the "Gobstopper 68" guy is?  I've lost hours of my life going through his brilliant stuff on YouTube. 

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

Absolutely.  I was having a conversation with @AndyRoss about something similar after watching the Steelmen documentary (I also watched the Tommy Burns & Tannadice '83 docs on BBC Alba around this time).  BBC Scotland must have a shitload of archive footage as well from the old Sportscenes.  There's certainly a wee opportunity now with the new BBC Scotland channel about to launch.  You'd think there would be a big demand for old footage like that, put together in some kind of series of half hour shows.  I'm certain they done something similar a few years back, when they reviewed particular teams/seasons over the last 30/40 years (I remember watching the Hearts 1986 story). 

I'm sure I've asked this before on here, but never found an answer.  Does anyone know who the "Gobstopper 68" guy is?  I've lost hours of my life going through his brilliant stuff on YouTube. 

I may be a mile out with this - but I think it may be "Yabba's Turd" on Steelmen as I seem to remember from a long time back that he had a big archive of stuff.Whoever it is, it must have been a huge effort to digitise that stuff from VHS and they deserve a medal for it.

What would be great if there was a project from within the club to build a Motherwell Archive. We've obviously got expertise (and equipment) on the video side that we could only dream of in the past and it would be a cracking project to draw on every source that is available to us to preserve the sort of games/memories that aren't of interest to commercial broadcasters, etc. Would be a good "crowd sourced" project if the amount of time involved was a factor and could even involve newspaper clippings and stuff that folk have collected over the years...

I'd be happy to donate some Soccer Sixes games on an old VHS where Coop ripped Airdrie and Celtic to shreds :)

1 hour ago, Desp said:

54 minutes ago, Swello said:

I may be a mile out with this - but I think it may be "Yabba's Turd" on Steelmen as I seem to remember from a long time back that he had a big archive of stuff.Whoever it is, it must have been a huge effort to digitise that stuff from VHS and they deserve a medal for it.

On that point, I bought a couple of DVD-r's  years ago (2005) of footage of the 88/89 season (which is when I started going reasonably regularly) and the cup final.

I just checked through my emails and it turns out that I got them after seeing a post on Fir Park Corner. Going by the name on the email I'm pretty sure it was "Yabba's Turd" I got them off. Not to put 2+2 together but...

Either way, whoever has that archive up on YouTube is an absolute hero.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

What my understanding is... Is that essentially, the problems with regards to getting and sharing archive footage is that you're looking for footage that until relatively, very recently, can be shared with the ease that it is now, if that makes sense? As such, less rigid archiving in the past is a modern problem. (Dunno if this sentence makes any sense, but there we go.)

While there is archive footage available, it does get very patchy very quickly the further back you go. 

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

What my understanding is... Is that essentially, the problems with regards to getting and sharing archive footage is that you're looking for footage that until relatively, very recently, can be shared with the ease that it is now, if that makes sense? As such, less rigid archiving in the past is a modern problem. (Dunno if this sentence makes any sense, but there we go.)

While there is archive footage available, it does get very patchy very quickly the further back you go. 

In fairness the SPFL Twitter are producing far superior historic content than any of our major broadcasters are.

Even things such as old Friday night Sportscene interviews etc, there must be some fantastic stuff there that many of us sad acts would love to see. 

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aye - we have the means to share easily now (as the SPFL are using well) - but it takes effort to get hold of the stuff, encode it, give it some basic TLC where needed and get it organised and somewhere that people can actually get at it. The positive is that it doesn't need to be done in 1 shot - get the easy stuff up first and plug away at the other stuff - it's a long term project.  The quality of some of the "Gobstopper" stuff is relatively shit (and understandably so) but it doesn't ruin the enjoyment of it. 

As an example, even relatively recent stuff - the Stuart McCall days for instance - isn't easily (or completely) available despite there being tons of stuff there that would be of interest. That'll be sitting on a hard drive at Fir Park next to the footgolf and chipping a golf ball into a bucket stuff from MFC TV mark 1 and would need very little effort to get it onto a mini site or MFC TV or whatever. The further back you go, the more difficult it becomes but once there is at least a start, it means that stuff can be added as and when it's ready. 

As a club, we're not always great on capitalising on the misty-eyed history stuff and this would be a decent way of addressing it (and would give them tons of ready made #content for our social media stuff)

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Aye - we have the means to share easily now (as the SPFL are using well) - but it takes effort to get hold of the stuff, encode it, give it some basic TLC where needed and get it organised and somewhere that people can actually get at it. The positive is that it doesn't need to be done in 1 shot - get the easy stuff up first and plug away at the other stuff - it's a long term project.  The quality of some of the "Gobstopper" stuff is relatively shit (and understandably so) but it doesn't ruin the enjoyment of it. 

As an example, even relatively recent stuff - the Stuart McCall days for instance - isn't easily (or completely) available despite there being tons of stuff there that would be of interest. That'll be sitting on a hard drive at Fir Park next to the footgolf and chipping a golf ball into a bucket stuff from MFC TV mark 1 and would need very little effort to get it onto a mini site or MFC TV or whatever. The further back you go, the more difficult it becomes but once there is at least a start, it means that stuff can be added as and when it's ready. 

As a club, we're not always great on capitalising on the misty-eyed history stuff and this would be a decent way of addressing it (and would give them tons of ready made #content for our social media stuff)

Lest we forget...

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Again, I think I'm right in saying, this isn't any fault of the club. Broadcast deals and what have you restrict what is possible with old footage, rather than anything they're not doing. It certainly covers social things and that.