Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Don't want to get too carried away but I think we could have serious players on our hands in Turnbull and Hastie. Both seem to have very good strength to match their technical ability, something that is much sought after in the game today. The Scottish Youth Cup winning side appears to be really bearing fruit. Exciting times ahead, it is wild how much football can change in a few weeks.

On Gallagher, it's encouraging to see that we are looking forward to the summer with so many guys out of contract. Livingston have a few boys out of contract and a lot of them represent very good value for money given they are reportedly on buttons. From what I have seen of Gallagher he looks decent and has a decent pedigree starting at Celtic. Potentially could be a replacement for Hartley, I am still hopeful we will tie down Aldred to a permanent deal.

Craig Halkett is another who has really stood out for me but I would be surprised if there is not bigger clubs in for him.

One thing the last few months has taught us however is that we have a very talented crop of young boys at the club and should never under estimate the boys coming through from the youth team. Hopefully the likes of Maguire, Scott and Livingston can emerge in the next year or so as well. There's something special about having young Scottish especially local boys coming through, really enjoyable to see just now.

Whenever we get linked to a player, we always seem to be up against Motherwell for their signature.

Not saying Gallagher will come to either of us or even leave Livi, just a quirk I've noticed over the last 2 or 3 years.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That's the one caveat I'd have tbh. He's maybe not on McGhee levels but I've noticed Robinson's developed a tendency to lean towards hyperbole recently.

Either way it's not a massive leap to make to think that getting Bigi off the books could add a decent amount on to Hastie, Scott and Maguire's current basic and at least contribute to whatever bump Turnbull got. Which would clearly be good value.

It may not be a million miles off the mark.  If Bigi came in from English League One and was one of our top earners, would him being on £2k a week be a surprise?

If you're splitting that between the four youngsters (say, for example, an extra £600p/w to Turnbull & Hastie and £400p/w to Maguire & Scott on top of what they're already getting) it's possible - it's a decent salary for guys that are 19/20 years of age.  If it's in anywhere close to reality, it's great use of the budget.   

Is Declan Gallagher not a local boy?  Blantyre springs to mind.  He's certainly had a good season, but aye his past leaves things open for a bit of criticism.  Though there's not many morals in professional football, is there?

39 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Whenever we get linked to a player, we always seem to be up against Motherwell for their signature.

Not saying Gallagher will come to either of us or even leave Livi, just a quirk I've noticed over the last 2 or 3 years.

From a players point of view, I'd guess that although it seems like a tiny step up to supporters - clubs like Saintees, Killie or 'Well offer a bit more stability than clubs that are likely to be shuttling between divisions....

13 minutes ago, Desp said:

It may not be a million miles off the mark.  If Bigi came in from English League One and was one of our top earners, would him being on £2k a week be a surprise?

If you're splitting that between the four youngsters (say, for example, an extra £600p/w to Turnbull & Hastie and £400p/w to Maguire & Scott on top of what they're already getting) it's possible - it's a decent salary for guys that are 19/20 years of age.  If it's in anywhere close to reality, it's great use of the budget.   

Is Declan Gallagher not a local boy?  Blantyre springs to mind.  He's certainly had a good season, but aye his past leaves things open for a bit of criticism.  Though there's not many morals in professional football, is there?

100%. I think my scepticism was that it would have been wholly down to one player given we've also moved Rose, Bowman, ATS and a handful of reserves on in the window too. At the start of the window Robinson was saying that Rose moving on didn't have any impact on his budget which seemed like an odd thing to say. When I heard him say that re: Bigi it did make me wonder if he was taking a bit of artistic license to make a point but there's absolutely no doubt it's doable as you've illustrated though and it'd be a smashing use of budget.

I'm not particularly precious and wouldn't be clutching any pearls but I think the Gallagher thing would put us in an interesting place given Robinson's enthusiasm for recruiting a certain type of "character" and the whole "fan owned, community club" spin if we were to bring in a boy who's done time for cracking someone's head open like a piñata.

Edited by capt_oats

Gallagher is definitely a signing I can get behind. Mainly because I've missed the HAMMERTHROWING THUGS tweets whenever we win a game. More bad b*****ds kicking teams off the park please.

I really am enjoying this quick paced attacking football but we’re definitely missing an element of THROWING GREAT BIG HAMMERS.

Wonder how plausible it is that we are able to get Tom Aldred on a permanent deal - he's been excellent for most of the season. 

The back four have all been superb in recent weeks in fairness, the attacking players are getting most of the plaudits, but four games with just one goal conceded is excellent going. 

Stretching that a bit further, we'd went 417 minutes without losing a league goal. Insert other media

Aldred's a weird one. Don't get me wrong, he's been absolutely smashing but he kind of seems like he's pretty comfortable being here on loan rather than permanently.

I'd imagine he'd be on a more than decent wage with Bury given he signed for them when they were in League 1. He's 29 this year so you'd have thought he'd maybe be looking for another decent paying gig if he can get one. Though who knows maybe the Herbalife racket tides him over.

Was there not chat in the summer that he hadn't really been considering coming back for a second loan?

The deadline day fake news chat about Hartley has definitely made me wonder about him though. He'd got another year to go and is captain but he's 31 in April and has struggled for a fair amount of the season as it stands I don't see us changing our back 4 unless we have to and Tait seems a far better fit with the armband.

Not that I'm looking to kick him out the door but given his chat when he arrived  from Blackpool was that he was at the stage of his career where he wanted to be playing games you'd think that would apply equally to his situation with us at the moment.

I'm guessing @Swello's earlier post was pulled up for inappropriate language. Tut-tut.

Anyway, that's a Keith Jackson special in the Record today reporting that we're BRACED for a BIDDING WAR as Hastie's being TRACKED by a number of English Championship "contenders". To save you a click it's Norwich, Leeds, West Brom, Swansea and Sunderland who are mentioned as having "watched" him.

It'd seem his agent's trying to squeeze a bit more cash.

Can’t blame him tbh.

The boy scored 3 goals in 23 games for Alloa and 2 of them were against Elgin City in the Cup. As high hopes for him as he had, I doubt even Robinson was expecting him to hit 4 goals in his first 5 games back including a couple of goal of the season contenders. 

In an alternate reality, Frear never gets injured before the Hibs game and he’s probably still coming off our bench as an impact sub. He’d probably bite our hand off for a new contract as well. As such his sudden burst onto the scene has drawn a lot of attention and have tilted things in his favour, fair play to him if he’s trying to use it to his advantage.

Hopefully we get it sorted soon as he looks a real talent. Athough, I’d like to see him perform at this level for a bit longer before we get carried away. I have no doubt he’ll see himself become a marked man in the coming weeks, it’ll be interesting to see how he deals with both that and the better level of opposition.

36 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm guessing @Swello's earlier post was pulled up for inappropriate language. Tut-tut.

Anyway, that's a Keith Jackson special in the Record today reporting that we're BRACED for a BIDDING WAR as Hastie's being TRACKED by a number of English Championship "contenders". To save you a click it's Norwich, Leeds, West Brom, Swansea and Sunderland who are mentioned as having "watched" him.

It'd seem his agent's trying to squeeze a bit more cash.

I fucking despise Keith Jackson.

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I fucking despise Keith Jackson.

It's disgusting how he'll happily pump out any article, for anyone, if they pay him enough.

He wins "journalist of the year" for a reason...

I might be taking an overly positive approach to this, but I think Turnbull signing a new deal will encourage the other young players to follow.

Of the younger players who had deals expiring at the end of the season, DT28 has achieved the most in his (albeit short) time in the first team. 

In the short term, Hastie, Scott and Maguire will receive a reasonable lift in their earning, with the long term aim of them receiving a significant lift when they move on.