Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Interesting wee bit from McGarry in his piece on Turnbull in the Evening Times here.

I'm pretty sure Robinson said similar this time last year when the deal for McCartan fell through and nothing came of it but the suggestion is we're actively looking at free agents.

Motherwell take on Livingston at Fir Park today, but Robinson still has an eye on the bigger picture, revealing he is actively looking at free agents now the transfer window has closed.

He is adamant though that the pathway for his young players won’t be blocked by bringing in signings for the sake of it.

“I want to take a real stance and say that we have got these players coming through, they will get their opportunities here," he said.

“Yes, there will be ups and downs, and moments when they dip in form, but I’ll continue to do what we believe in.”

#announceAnichebe #welcomeVictor

Just now, capt_oats said:

Interesting wee bit from McGarry in his piece on Turnbull in the Evening Times here.

I'm pretty sure Robinson said similar this time last year when the deal for McCartan fell through and nothing came of it but the suggestion is we're actively looking at free agents.

#announceAnichebe #welcomeVictor

#AgbonlahorIsASteelman

Tbh someone has probably been told aw aye Hibs are signing some Motherwell player, some reporter has chucked it online. Turns out it’s a different Motherwell player, but from what I got told there was nothing in the Hartley move. It’s all the same with these guys on twitter who have inside knowledge telling us Sammon was going elsewhere when I could probably believe he wasn’t. And the player that fell through was a midfielder from Celtic but not a clue who.

Just browsing Steelmen there and picked up on new information that according to the official site we've low key extended Tanner's deal to 2020.

I seem to recall at the AGM Burrows/Robinson were asked about Tanner and the gist was that we'd do the right thing by him and we wouldn't cut him loose if he wasn't able to pass a medical but the deal would be reflective of his situation (or words to that effect). It looks like that's been sorted out.

Which is nice.

Edited by capt_oats

On 16/05/2016 at 12:55, Fuctifano said:

I wonder if Motherwell (or any other Prem club looking for a left back) would be interested in our ex player Aaron Taylor- Sinclair, who’s had a fairly poor 2 years in England, first year played one game in the league cup with Wigan, season just finished relegated with Doncaster- he might still fancy another crack at it down South but if he was coming up the road then I’d imagine he’ll be well sought after despite the last 2 years.

On 16/05/2016 at 13:11, Gianfranco said:

I actually watched a Doncaster game vs Burton I think and thought we might be interested. He does have another year to run at Donny though so I don't imagine we'd pay a fee for him.

On 16/05/2016 at 13:36, YassinMoutaouakil said:

ATS is definitely the type of full back I'd imagine McGhee will be looking at. Decent going forward and athletic- is he not about 6'4?

Whether we could get him or not is another story though.

Halcyon days lads....halcyon days.

Monday morning thought; Having Alan Campbell looking more like himself and playing well has been as big a factor in us doing well as anything else.

There seems to be a bit of a rule since he's been in the team that when he plays well, the team plays well and the past 3 games have been evidence of that...

The break in January will have done him the world of good.  When you think he's away with the 21s during the International breaks, and he was part of the youth squad that played in the Toulon Tournament in June, he's played pretty much non-stop from September 2017 until Christmas 2018.  You could see, clearly, he was done in. 

Hastie & Turnbull are, quite rightly, getting a lot of the plaudits in recent weeks but it's generally very simple like you say.  If Allan Campbell plays well, the full team plays well. 

Great to see him getting back to top form. 

The first half hour on Saturday was as good as I've seen a Motherwell team in years.  Our energy levels and pace in particular were excellent. 

Was good to see everyone with the exception of Gillespie (too far a jaunt or maybe he hates him as much as the old boy behind me in the East Stand on Saturday) celebrate Main's goal with him.  After he'd blocked Ariyibi's goal bound effort with his arse, I got the feeling it just was never going to happen for him - pleased that was shown to be far wide of the mark shortly after. 

The lads look back on another good victory for Motherwell, discuss David Turnbull’s new deal at Fir Park, preview St Mirren, praise Stephen Robinson’s part in the much improved form, reflect on the business done during the transfer window and much more.

https://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2018-19-episode-27/

I notice the BBC gossip page has us "opening talks" with Hastie about a new deal (per Daily Express).  Which should really be to the surprise of no one I guess.

I'd like to think it's something we've talked to him about when he came back from Alloa and this is a more formal thing.

I get that there will probably have been a bit of hesitancy about offering him a deal until he'd had a few first team games especially given the likes of Thomas, MacLean, Mackin, McMillan, Ferguson, Watt et al have all effectively been released in recent seasons but...10 year deal for Hastie ASAP please.

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Just read this interview with Trevor Carson: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47098220

File DVT under "absolutely fucking terrifying".

Just read that myself.

What is the likelihood of him returning to full action? If they are worried about knocks and falls is that not a huge part of a goalies game?

Feel really badly for him. Football and Motherwell are clearly very important to him but he is right to put his family first.

Wish him all the best.

Just now, Crawford said:

Just read that myself.

What is the likelihood of him returning to full action? If they are worried about knocks and falls is that not a huge part of a goalies game?

Feel really badly for him. Football and Motherwell are clearly very important to him but he is right to put his family first.

Wish him all the best.

From my, admittedly basic, understanding the worries about head knocks and falls are only as he's on blood thinning tablets at this point. They basically stop your blood from clotting so if you cut yourself it doesn't stop. 

Theoretically once he's off those it wouldn't be an issue. 

Just read this interview with Trevor Carson: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47098220
File DVT under "absolutely fucking terrifying".
horrible. as someone who also relies on blood thinners daily to survive the guys lucky they caught it before it got to his brain and caused serious problems.

best wishes to him and i hope he gets back playing.