Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On closer inspection I think it's actually last season's shorts (and socks) our youngsters are sporting there, but the point stands. For me a Motherwell home kit should always consist of a predominantly amber top with predominantly claret shorts. I hate the white shorts with our home kit but actually think they would go better with our current away top than the home one.

There's yer Bigi doing a wee interview...

Anyone seen the utter rocket on Twitter who is claiming we are only releasing this video because we drew with Rangers at the weekend.

Seriously does that clubs supporters arrogance and ignorance know no bounds.

Probably the same guy who contributed this tear-stained beauty to the Daily Record Hotline

Andrew Lamb, Fraserburgh, said: “Here’s hoping Motherwell bring the same desire and commitment to kick anything that moves when they play other SPFL sides.

"The Fir Park side is made up of hammer throwers who can’t play football, they bludgeon their opponents with thuggery. Some of the Fir Park supporters show an equal amount of hate filled bile towards Rangers players."

Probably the same guy who contributed this tear-stained beauty to the Daily Record Hotline

Andrew Lamb, Fraserburgh, said: “Here’s hoping Motherwell bring the same desire and commitment to kick anything that moves when they play other SPFL sides.

"The Fir Park side is made up of hammer throwers who can’t play football, they bludgeon their opponents with thuggery. Some of the Fir Park supporters show an equal amount of hate filled bile towards Rangers players."

Did the Record actually print this comment (or post online)? If anything, that's worse that they don't weed out such guff.

Like most clubs they have a fare share of dickheads as fans. Each club has about circa 1% fall into that bracket. The problem is that 1% of several hundred thousand is a lot more than 1% of say 30,000 for provincial clubs etc. 

The thing that annoys me is that they totally disregard anything their club, players and fans do so have no perspective whatsoever. Probably because they are operating with minimal brain cells. It was not that long ago at the play off that their fans were hurling flares onto the pitch and spitting and battling with the home support when things were not going their way. 

We have always had our fair share of troublemakers. We have gone into admin in the past. But most of us accept these facts and take that into account before commenting on others. Not the old firm.....any bad behaviour or history gets instantly wiped from the record books and expunged from the memory. 

In fact that’s what makes comments like those above so funny. That reeks of Motherwell did not let us win so I am rather annoyed but have no intelligent way of putting it in writing. As for the record - they probably embellished it ! 

15 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Did the Record actually print this comment (or post online)? If anything, that's worse that they don't weed out such guff.

Aye they did. Alongside someone saying that we should have stripped Hartley of the captaincy and dropped him out of respect to them. But, remember lads, no one likes them and they absolutely, definitely do not care. 

1 minute ago, BigTamMuller said:

We've surely got to be up there as one of the best teams - enviably, not quite Hibs levels - at being able to consistently wind Rangers and their fans up into fits of seething rage!

I'd put us in second place as Hibs are miles ahead in this piss boiling competition. We're still up there. Between the play offs and then booting them all over Hampden they seem to have a weird level of seethe going on. 

I'm pretty sure this comment was printed right after another one where someone demanded that if Hartley ends up getting a ban then his goal shouldn't be allowed to stand!

1 hour ago, Desp said:

It really is amazing just how much little clubs like Motherwell can rattle them, and just how much they really do care.

Lovely stuff.

Totally - but I don't think it was just the supporters that were affected. 

One of the things that I find interesting about the last week after Hartely's comments and all the sad hand-wringing that followed was that it probably was a positive for us in the end and did it's job. I saw the cliche "that's their team talk done for them" trotted out and that turned out to be true I think- but not in the way people meant. After that, all the talk from Rangers was around "battles", "warriors" and "physicality" (which we should have embossed on our strip rather than 1886) and Gerard's team selection and formation (moving away from what has worked so far in other words) was done to combat our hammerthrowers. Even the last minute panicky sub they made was partly because Gerard bought the "big unit" patter when he saw Connor Sammon running about like a headless chicken.

You shouldn't interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake - but I've been interested over the past year how many teams have adapted their normal style to combat a threat from us that has been blown out of proportion in the press. Two contrasting examples - Hibs have changed nothing to play against us and have pretty much killed us every time with good wide play and pace - and Aberdeen, where McInnes has constantly tinkered to try to "match us" which has totally played into our hands and we've done well (eg, Pittodrie last season, SC Semi).

I'm quite happy if the over the top hype about us continues to be honest.

Great post Swello.  Another example of that, and it's one that was mentioned in the match thread at the time, is that we're possibly the only club who tries to go and match Hamilton in what they do - and generally fail at it. 

You lot after a "10"?

We've seemingly made a move for Swanson, and the obvious thing would be Scougall moving to free up wages needed. Just a feeling about you lot and him. 

I remember us being linked when he ended up at St. Johnstone, but I can't see it happening now. 

Seems a similar player to Tanner, and from what I believe (calling @capt_oats for stats please) his goal return/assists are nowhere near what #CT27 has produced.  Albeit the wee man is injured just now, but is due back in the next 4-6 weeks.

36 minutes ago, Desp said:

I remember us being linked when he ended up at St. Johnstone, but I can't see it happening now. 

Seems a similar player to Tanner, and from what I believe (calling @capt_oats for stats please) his goal return/assists are nowhere near what #CT27 has produced.  Albeit the wee man is injured just now, but is due back in the next 4-6 weeks.

Just quickly looking at Transfermarkt for #CT27:

36 appearances, 9 goals and 8 assists. That was in 2,126 mins of football. 236 mins per goal.

I'm not sure it's really fair to compare with Scougall's season at St Johnstone since Wright seemed to be playing him out of position and also Curtis Main broke his knee into tiny, tiny pieces at Fir Park back in February but for the sake of it:

33 appearances, 2 goals and 2 assists. That was in 1,535 mins of football. 767 mins per goal.

His career at Sheffield United:

100 appearances, 10 goals and 7 assists. 5,606 mins so 560 mins per goal.