Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

:lol:

I think you’re doing the lad a disservice to be honest but I might be wrong.

If you watch the close up from behind the goal, Cadden’s eyes are on Sammon’s run the whole way. He never even glances in Bowman’s direction, even after he’s hit the pass.

Plus there’s surely far too much pace in that pass for it be intended for Bowman?!

There's every chance I am.  I've not had a look at it again, so I could be miles out, and shall apologise to Cadden if that was the case!

Nope, no having it. :lol:

Just watched a replay of the first goal.  That's a pass from Cadden to Bowman all day long in my book.  

Just to be clear, I'm no having a dig.  I'm delighted it worked out the way it did, and the build up the goal - Cadden bursting through from the middle of the park - is EXACTLY what I'm looking forward to seeing plenty of this season.

3 hours ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Actually I just clocked Sammon doing that heart hand gesture after his second goal.

Cannot be tolerated.

He's done that since his first stint at Killie, and years before Gareth Bale made it his thing..... 

Edited by C4mmy31

I see Charles Dunne out for at least 3 months with a groin strain. That is a kick in the haw maws for him and us. 

This time last year no one would have much cared, but he has been one of our better players in recent months and looked in pre season to have bulked up even more ! 

Shame but we have a bigger squad and McHugh looks like if he plays it will be defensively rather than in midfield this season. 

Total pisser about Dunne - I think he was our most consistent defender from about November onwards last year and got us out of trouble countless times due to his pace - so it's an early test for the "12-18" strategy. 

Probably worth remembering - as Welldaft alludes to - that he was the main scapegoat/target for the angry middle-aged men for the first couple of months of the season. The fact that he was coming back from a long term injury and settling into a new league/country cut him no slack at all. You'd like to think that folk would remember that when they are writing off one of the new intake after 2 games but we all know how it works.

It'll be interesting to see if this changes Robinson's thinking from a back three to a back four while Dunne is out.  Robinson has said something along the lines that Dunne was the one player he couldn't afford to lose.  McHugh looks comfortable in the middle of a back three, but not sure how he'd look on the left being dragged out wide. 

We've got two good full-back in Tait & ATS, so it may turn out losing a centre-half to injury could be a break for someone like Frear to be given a run in a more conventional 4-4-2. 

Carson

Tait Kipré Hartley Taylor-Sinclair

Cadden Rose Campbell Frear

Main Sammon 

There's also the option of keeping the back four and bringing in Grimshaw or Rodriguez-Gorrin for Frear and going with a diamond in midfield. 

To me Frear is the consummate confidence player. When he’s on his game he can be very effective, but if something doesn’t go for him he tends to disappear. It’s not in the same was as an Ainsworth - he still tries - but the head definitely goes down.

Having an out and out left back behind him might help him out.

1 hour ago, one m in Motherwell said:

To me Frear is the consummate confidence player. When he’s on his game he can be very effective, but if something doesn’t go for him he tends to disappear. It’s not in the same was as an Ainsworth - he still tries - but the head definitely goes down.

Having an out and out left back behind him might help him out.

The difference with Ainsworth though, was he had the ability to win a match by just suddenly turning it on and pinging one in from 30 yards, don’t believe Frear has that in his locker. 

28 minutes ago, CSmith said:

The difference with Ainsworth though, was he had the ability to win a match by just suddenly turning it on and pinging one in from 30 yards, don’t believe Frear has that in his locker. 

Not necessarily stanning for Frear but has he actually had a run of games in his natural position for anyone to be able to say what he can/can't do? When he arrived he was chucked into a side heading into free-fall and having to make the step up from National League to Premiership. Last season he was either injured or playing wing-back which is a position he said himself he'd never played before until Robinson asked him to.

Depending on how much weight you place on stats and radars and the like Frear apparently shows up pretty well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Elliot Frear gets more minutes next season, I think you have a real candidate to be among breakout players of the year.  He's at the top of the charts here, largely because he is among the league's best players at setting up teammates with shots in very dangerous areas.  His Relative Scoring Chance Key Pass rate of +0.63 is topped only by Armstrong & Allan.  Scoring Chances are kicked shots from the heart of the box & kicked/headed shots from within the six yard box.  This is where the majority of the goals come from, but are also among the most difficult shots to create.  Few do it better than Frear did last season.  He only played a little more than 1,200 minutes but Motherwell would be smart to pencil Frear's name in the starting eleven each & every week next season.

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2018/6/27/a-new-rating-that-helps-identify-the-best-playmakers-in-scottish-premiership

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, one m in Motherwell said:

If ATS can show what he did on Tuesday night consistently he’ll do fine.

A bugger for Dunne though, I love the big b*****d

Including the bit where he just fell over? Seen ATS get ghosted by attackers too many times already to be comfortable with him at left back. Also his go to move of cutting inside when in trouble is going to get him caught out.

Dunne was actually superb after Christmas last season and easily transitioned between a back 3 and back 4. He never looked out his depth doing either. And any mistakes he did make were covered by his rapid pace.

Frear as a wing back might be ok. He did his pretty well defending against QotS. But if Donnelly is going to fill in for Dunne he will never see the ball unless because that guy can't pass to his left to save himself.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Dunne was actually superb after Christmas last season and easily transitioned between a back 3 and back 4. He never looked out his depth doing either. And any mistakes he did make were covered by his rapid pace.

Early on in the season, Dunne got done(!) quite a few times regardless of his pace and looked pretty fragile early on and then really came on to a game. ATS was a very decent fullback in the past, so it's worth giving him time to get up to speed (otherwise there is no point having him around)..

11 hours ago, Swello said:

Total pisser about Dunne - I think he was our most consistent defender from about November onwards last year and got us out of trouble countless times due to his pace - so it's an early test for the "12-18" strategy.

Dunne improved a lot but you only have to go back to 28th April vs Dundee when Simon Murray absolutely roasted him.

Our most consistent defender was Aldred.

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Not necessarily stanning for Frear but has he actually had a run of games in his natural position for anyone to be able to say what he can/can't do? When he arrived he was chucked into a side heading into free-fall and having to make the step up from National League to Premiership. Last season he was either injured or playing wing-back which is a position he said himself he'd never played before until Robinson asked him to.

Depending on how much weight you place on stats and radars and the like Frear apparently shows up pretty well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We generally play better with Frear in the team because it gives us an alternative out ball rather than the 'launch it' approach that dominates when he's not playing but Frear is held back by the fact that he appears to be pretty timid in terms of getting forward.  Whether by character or instruction he's often very reluctant to get himself down the line which is a hindrance for a winger. 

Cadden has benefited from some club and media hype as he was often quite poor last season and has been going backwards since his injury a year ago and a half ago.  33 league appearances and 0 goals would be bad for a central defender.

He got my MotM against QoS but he needs to perform like that a Premiership level but I think its worthwhile noting he was playing centrally last Tuesday which is, for me, where he should be playing.  He doesn't have the ball skills to be a wide player.  He should be using what he has got - pace, strength, energy - as a box to box type midfielder.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Dunne improved a lot but you only have to go back to 28th April vs Dundee when Simon Murray absolutely roasted him.

Our most consistent defender was Aldred.

What are you talking about? Dunne was great that game. Even folk on Steelmenonline praised him!

https://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/15778-scottish-premiership-game-35dundee-h-280418-1500/&page=2

Read on Charles Dunne apparently strolled it, was class, pushing Cedric for MotM.

"The funniest bit of a comical game was the Dundee boy trying to knock the ball by Dunne in the box, you would think players would have realised they can't run by Charles by now. "