Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It’s not overwhelming news, but by the same token, I’m not disappointed as some people seem to be by it all. He could be an example of a signing that is met with a mixed reaction before finding Fir Park to be a nice fit.

I think the return of Tanner will be huge for us, he was a big player in creating things for us up until his injury and also chipped in with his fair share of goals too.

So Sammon's our 6th summer signing. That's us pretty much replaced those who left at the end of the season:

OUT - Griffiths, Plummer, Aldred, Petravicius, Hendrie, Ciftci
IN - Gillespie, Donnelly, Gorrin, Johnson, Taylor-Sinclair, Sammon

Most seem like for like though a couple clearly aren't. Presumably Hartley's return/McHugh being used as cover is viewed as Aldred's replacement. So we're essentially we've a net gain on a central midfielder in Gorrin.

Like most I'm fairly underwhelmed by Sammon signing largely for the reasons outlined by @Swello a few posts earlier. The fact it's only a loan takes a bit of the edge off it (even if he is out of contract at the end of the season) but there's still quite a lot about it that seems difficult to get my head round. Consider me entirely on the "meh" side of things with this.

Motherwell fans - repelled by the appointment of Robinson 

Ya Bezzer, our football analyst genius, disgusted by Kipre being given a year's extension 

Looked on aghast as we signed 15 players we had never heard of

Seemed pleased with the signing of Fisher,  who got punted as a waste of space in January

We're astonished to get to two cup finals ( and annoyingly, never be in the relegation battle ) 

Now greetin'  cos our manager has signed an established professional striker on the same day  a bid came in for the hated, waste of space, worst ever signing, Bowman. 

Truly, truly, pathetic. 

Try being supporters

& give it a rest with the "hardly worth it by the time we pay back Hutchison & Boyle," crap.

The sooner we are debt free, the better. The sainted Dempster ran us into administration levels of debt.

Without Hutchison, today we would be worse off than Dundee United. 

Pay the man, and shut yer mooth. 

Guest Pampered Adolescent
14 minutes ago, WellView said:

By the way, is there any other club that can boast a supporter with 15,000 forum posts that doesn't attend games? 

Arise, weeyin, the king of a thousand unwanted opinions. 

I observe a sycophantic, State-side pedant, with the nom de plume 'weeyin' whom might fit your description, but, alas, hurrah!, never here.....on Steelmen Online.......

Could you, perhaps be confused, or, dare I suggest it; 'tired and emotional'?

Cheers

PA

Edited by Pampered Adolescent

1 hour ago, WellView said:

Motherwell fans - repelled by the appointment of Robinson 

Ya Bezzer, our football analyst genius, disgusted by Kipre being given a year's extension 

Looked on aghast as we signed 15 players we had never heard of

Seemed pleased with the signing of Fisher,  who got punted as a waste of space in January

We're astonished to get to two cup finals ( and annoyingly, never be in the relegation battle ) 

Now greetin'  cos our manager has signed an established professional striker on the same day  a bid came in for the hated, waste of space, worst ever signing, Bowman. 

Truly, truly, pathetic. 

Try being supporters

To be fair I agree with quite a few comments in the post above. I know that is almost akin to admitting liking Donald Trump or Theresa May. 

I get that we would all like to see silky football played on the deck with silky skilful footballers but not sure that we can afford that. Not sure it would have given us 2 cup finals. 

Many on here have bemoaned the fact we were a team easily bullied and ragdolled and now we can hold our own. One wonders if Robinson tried the route of youngsters and silky footballers and we were getting scudded week in week out what the response would be. I very much doubt it would be along the lines of ach Well the gaffer is trying to play football the right way.......

Edited by welldaft

Miles from arsed about signing Sammon, fwiw.

I'd be amazed if we're paying a significant amount for him from Hearts, and as such is almost no risk. If he's humpty he can sit on the bench for the season and be a regular in the signing zone. He's probably got the shoulders to play steelman for a bit.

I don't think he's particularly good, but then again I was buzzing for bigi and thought Fisher would do a turn. 

He's also better than the competition winner that we slung on to change games last year, which is kind of the point of all everything Robinson has said all summer. Improve 12-19 and we've done that.

On that as well, I'm heavy bored of the stone cold patter merchants talking about buying neck braces and how we're hoofing it. If you're telling me you didn't enjoy last season, then you're a liar or a weirdo. 

9 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:
Miles from arsed about signing Sammon, fwiw.
I'd be amazed if we're paying a significant amount for him from Hearts, and as such is almost no risk. If he's humpty he can sit on the bench for the season and be a regular in the signing zone. He's probably got the shoulders to play steelman for a bit.
I don't think he's particularly good, but then again I was buzzing for bigi and thought Fisher would do a turn. 
He's also better than the competition winner that we slung on to change games last year, which is kind of the point of all everything Robinson has said all summer. Improve 12-19 and we've done that.
On that as well, I'm heavy bored of the stone cold patter merchants talking about buying neck braces and how we're hoofing it. If you're telling me you didn't enjoy last season, then you're a liar or a weirdo.

This is pretty much the point I find myself coming back to on Sammon.

My head almost rolled clean off my shoulders reading the report (true or not) that we’d had a £50k bid for Simon Murray kb’d, largely because I think Murray’s humpty but equally because of the idea we'd be chucking that sort of investment at someone who’s humpty.

With Sammon, I’m entirely ambivalent. It is what it is. We’re hoping he can do us a turn. He’s here on loan so presumably there’s no long term commitment and similarly I’d imagine that our contribution to his wage means that there’s a degree of value there. If it works out and he has another Killie-esque season then everyone is happy. If he’s pish then we’ve not invested heavily.

Looking at the alternatives kicking about I’m not really sure there’s an option who would have got universal approval from our fanbase. Folk weren’t happy with Çiftçi because he was ‘lazy & unfit’, Tony Watt’s a ‘waster’, IRA Tony Stokes presumably wouldn’t have gone down particularly well either.

If nothing else Sammon’s a pretty on brand addition to our collection of Monstar forwards; ‘a big physical boy who’s played at a high level’ no less.

Edited by capt_oats

I'm more than willing to give Sammon a chance. I remember not being particularly pleased when we signed Higdon and likened him at the time to a bag of cement. He became one of my favourite Motherwell players of all time.

Not saying Sammon will have the same impact but if he comes in, plays well and chips in with a few goals then I think most folk will be happy. As has been said, the alternatives aren't much better and he's a definite upgrade on Petravicius or the perma-injured Newell.

I have seen the friendlies at Darlington and Dunfermline. Difficult one to answer. Guess it depends on the opposition. 

I have been reasonably impressed by Danny Johnson. A very good goal at Darlington. We know what we get with Bowman. It depends on how Sammon fits in. 

At least we have options. End of last season it was Main and Bowman pretty much with Ciftci as back up.

I actually think Sammon will do a good job for us and maybe by the end of the transfer window Bowman may have moved on if there is any more interest in him.  I like Bowman but Sammon is in theory an upgrade. Who knew he has had 9 caps for Republic of Ireland ! 

16 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I just miss Nadir so much. :bairn:bairn:bairn:bairn

Has he actually signed for anyone or is he in his flat in his pants watching box sets and eating Turkish Delight?

11 minutes ago, Swello said:

Has he actually signed for anyone or is he in his flat in his pants watching box sets and eating Turkish Delight?

You really think Nadir is daft enough to sign for someone just now?  There's a pre-season going on man!  Nadir doesn't want any of that shit!