Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

Just when I thought Aaron Taylor-Sinclair had the worst signature I've ever seen, up steps Connor Sammon.  Not far off just scribbling a big fucking X. 

Unless we're signing Alexei Eremenko Malaury Martin to play in behind him, I have no idea why we've done this. 

FTFY Mate.

9 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

EDIT: the Motherwell website team were obviously expecting a rather underwhelming reception to the signing as they desperately try to justify his scoring rate in comparison to former strikers. :lol:

Noticed that - brilliant - and a comparison to Henri Anier is pleasingly surreal. 

I was more intrigued that even Sammon mentioned that he's very similar to the other strikers already at the club - and that's the part that I find most confusing about this whole thing as I had assumed that we were trying to get something different (based on Robionson's own words to be fair). 

Looking at our summer signings as a whole - the biggest impression that I get is that the vast majority of our budget is already tied up in the existing squad - we've been signing squad players instead of enhancing the first 11. This is fair enough of course as that is what Robinson said his priority was but it's quite obvious at this point. At least we've not had to use the word "marquee".

What we Well fans should do is what all other fans of clubs when they sign players that are definitely in the meh bracket. Here goes.....

A strange signing as very similar in style to our other strikers. But he did not too bad for a team that got relegated, so er go that means he should do better in a classy team like ours. In fact I quite liked him the few times I have seen him play against us. Add in the fact he has played higher standard down south and has an International cap I think this could be a shrewd signing and one that turns into a fantastic piece of business. 

How did I do ?

17 minutes ago, Desp said:

Just when I thought Aaron Taylor-Sinclair had the worst signature I've ever seen, up steps Connor Sammon.  Not far off just scribbling a big fucking X. 

Unless we're signing Alexei Eremenko to play in behind him, I have no idea why we've done this. 

So glad you brought this to the world’s attention. ATS is the worst signature I’ve ever seen in my life. 

Thankfully it's only a years loan! If he's not costing too much then I'm sure he'd be an alright player to have around, but with who we've already got up front, I'd much rather see someone like James Scott be given a bit more of a chance, and we could've brought in the elusive pacey wide forward player that we all thought we were getting. 

Meh, as always I hope he does well and am happy to be proved wrong, but I'd just have rathered we went for someone else. 

Sammon does try hard so that will endear himself to your support somewhat. I wouldn’t expect him to score more than 4 goals though. He’s also one of these weird target man type strikers that can’t jump or win headers.

7 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I thought he did decent enough for Thistle last year given how sh*te they were, think he will fit in Motherwells system decent enough too. 

Probably very similar to our Managers thinking. The truth is outside of Moult and then Main to a lesser extent we have had one key goal scorer. I like Bowman but he is hardly what you call prolific. It may prove to be that Sammon is an upgrade in that respect. Also provides cover should main get injured or suspended or god forbid leaves in the transfer window. 

I did not expect Higdon to be such a hit so he will get my backing until he misses a sitter ! 

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

I thought he did decent enough for Thistle last year given how sh*te they were, think he will fit in Motherwells system decent enough too. 

I think he will fit into our system too and might even be a decent forward at the expense of either Bowman or Main - but that isn't really the point that a few of us are questioning.

Last season, we had a huge rebuild and as a result, most if not all of us were quite happy with the results - we were hard to play against, got a good midtable finish and obviously did really well in the cups. It's all about expectations (especially as they naturally rise after a successful season) - but I doubt I was the only one that expected a few more creative type players to build on the solid base that we have already, as not even the most positive supporter would say that we were great to watch from a "footballing" point of view last season regardless of how effective we were. I guess signing Sammon gives the message that we are going for more of the same, except that we can better handle a few injuries, which is a tiny bit underwhelming.

Guest Pampered Adolescent

I see this as a similar signing to Don Goodman, who, was probably more well-known than he [italics on] should have been [italics off].

Unfortunately, for myself, this doesn't give us a plan B.

As for shite signatures, Tory MP David Davis's is tragic; akin to a logo for a death metal band.

Cheers

PA

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

You'll be knocking back bids left right and centre for Sammon next summer no doubt.

Scored quite a few goals for a dire Thistle side last season and his style of play would suit Motherwell IMO - I think this could prove to be a shrewd signing.

Edit: he also gave us this moment;

Image result for conor sammon pizza

FF152AE4-2350-4798-B5B5-675490B8B4F2.thumb.jpeg.f241b5ef7982e4f04a25dd75b52d84e2.jpeg.48b5e1a0aff981b781592fb3159c7ce5.jpeg.26b8fc9c757e0ddcd0ce8204fdf8dd18.jpeg