Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Losing Frear without replacing him gives me the fear tbh.  Obviously our favoured system doesn't really include any wingers but I'm not really keen on the idea of totally jettisoning any from our entire squad.

That’s a fair point tbh. It’s all very well saying we don’t normally play with wingers but it’s useful to have that option. Granted it was a different circumstance and our shape was different but we suffered badly by not replacing Johnson after he left (ironically, until Frear turned up).

It really depends on how happy Frear is sitting on the bench IMO. I doubt it’s the vision that was sold to him when he signed but it’s pretty much where we are. The problem we’ve got is that if we’re recruiting a replacement then that’s what we’re having to sell: “would you like to come to Motherwell and sit on the bench and get 20 mins here or there?”. It’s a niche role.

Arguably it’s the sort of position you’d be hoping would suit Livingstone and Hastie. They’re both left sided, attacking players but neither would be expected to start games at the moment. The rub there is that sitting on our bench waiting to get 15-20 mins off the bench every now and then is going to do f**k all for their general development. Even more so if there are Championship clubs offering a more realistic chance for them to play regular first team football on loan.

The alternative is that we look to bring someone in who can double up either as a striker or as a wing-back/full back at least then you’ve got a bit of depth and versatility. I’d imagine that’s a pretty limited pool of players as far as realistic options go.

I see from the club twitter that they are off to Ireland on pre-season again and it got me thinking about Cifcti.  He was possibly never a realistic option for us (and was reportedly away to Turkey anyway) - but if he misses out on our pre-season, any point in signing him would surely be out the window in any case.....

47 minutes ago, Swello said:

I see from the club twitter that they are off to Ireland on pre-season again and it got me thinking about Cifcti.  He was possibly never a realistic option for us (and was reportedly away to Turkey anyway) - but if he misses out on our pre-season, any point in signing him would surely be out the window in any case.....

I had been thinking the same. We've already been back close to a week so if he's not in for the training camp then it's going to be tough. Though having said that, given the quirk of the timing with his contract he's still a Celtic player until the end of the month. I doubt it'd be hard for them to release him though or maybe it is, who knows.

Farewell sweet prince, don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened etc.

Going by the squad numbers/lists the club put up last week it's not a huge leap to think that the first list (amber background) is what we're considering to be our first team with the 2nd list (claret background) the reserves/u20s. I notice Liam Brown's in one of the photos on the Instagram so I'd guess the u20s who were involved at the tail end of last season are away to Carton House as well. Which is nice.

If that is the case then, as it stands, it's a 22 man first team squad (inc 3 goalkeepers) which sounds about right for what we'd expect. Seeing as Robinson highlighted in his interview that we were after a 'wide' player (we subsequently signed ATS) and a striker then I was curious as to whether we'd see another body in prior to Ireland or whether we were pretty relaxed and happy enough to see who's available and what our options are. There's not really a lot of space in the squad for movement tbh. It's made me wonder how flexible and open we are to taking a look at other options to come in.

Even though we're probably at the stage where we'd need to see some movement out if we wanted to bring a couple in to improve the squad presumably we'll have a few trialists away with us regardless?

Edited by capt_oats

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 17:19, Mr. Brightside said:

IMG_4387.jpg
There’s yer kits lads, dece.

White shorts with a home top is fucking miles oot.  I know Alan Burrows is a big fan of it, so I assume he's had a big say in it now we've had twice in the last four home kits.  It's one of the few things I very much disagree with him on. 

Put the home top with the away shorts/socks.

Put the away top with the home shorts/socks. 

Job's a goodun'!  Who's a dab hand with the photoshop malarkey? 

8 hours ago, Desp said:

White shorts with a home top is fucking miles oot.  I know Alan Burrows is a big fan of it, so I assume he's had a big say in it now we've had twice in the last four home kits.  It's one of the few things I very much disagree with him on. 

Put the home top with the away shorts/socks.

Put the away top with the home shorts/socks. 

Job's a goodun'!  Who's a dab hand with the photoshop malarkey? 

Here you go mate

wellstrips.thumb.png.eef010d74e040daae29dc9eebfb78b84.png

Seemless photoshopping skillz

44 minutes ago, Desp said:
Some man!
Is that not just two absolute classics right there?

Actually blows my tiny little brain that anyone would look at that and prefer the white shorts with the home kit because “white shorts are our traditional colours”.

Edited by capt_oats

They do look really good and I'd be happy with that  (although I don't mind white shorts in the home strip to be honest)...

Also, see Ryan Jack is greeting in the press about Cedric's tackle on him many moons ago. The amount of whining that Rangers have done about us over the past year has been remarkable - and quite funny.

12 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Elliot Frear will have been decapitated within a day NAP.

Frear's a good player but he looks like he's got absolutely no confidence in his own ability just now. Someone needs to lock him in a room and show him highlights of himself going past people to see if he remembers how to do it.

I know he has his fans on here and certainly there’s been issues out with his control- injuries and our formation of choice most weeks- however I think Frear’s just a fairly limited player at the end of the day.

Don’t mind having him about the squad next season as he gives us an option to change things up but I don’t think he’ll ever really be anything more than a squad player at this level.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

They do look really good and I'd be happy with that  (although I don't mind white shorts in the home strip to be honest)...

Also, see Ryan Jack is greeting in the press about Cedric's tackle on him many moons ago. The amount of whining that Rangers have done about us over the past year has been remarkable - and quite funny.

....and Cellic

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

#youngmotherwell

Dgnd5K8U8AAw_tX.jpg

Winnable tie for our youngsters, away tie as well, so will be good to see how they handle the pressures of playing against senior pros.   I know Craigan is very much a fan of this tournament as he feels it helps the development of the younger players playing against players who are perhaps more physically stronger and the results matter to them on a weekly basis.