Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Ghanaian born Italian at that. Even more niche.

I'm definitely a fan. The first time I saw him for the 20s he looked like it was a massive step up for him but as Graeme says every time you see him now he looks that bit bigger and stronger. Both he and James Scott seem to be much more comfortable with their finishing these days too, earlier in the season they were missing shitloads of chances.

Craigan's comments about him when he signed full time seemed bang on:

“He will take time to get used to the rigours and demands of full-time professional football, particularly as he’s still so very young, but we have high hopes for him. He’s quick, can score and most importantly, has a real desire to learn and improve.”

Alfie! Alfie! Alfie!

Edited by capt_oats

're Hutchison debt, from memory we owed him £1.4 million and Boyle £350,000.  I remember a few people being gobsmacked when the total debt was revealed. Assuming ( and it's a VERY BIG ) assumption we manage to raise the further £307,000 this year to take up the entire £500,000 offer, then his debt in reality is £900,000. 

Johnson's transfer plus sell-on, Heneghan's transfer, Moult's transfer = ? 

Can we include the development fee for Hall? 

You'll know better but I think the transfer income is around £1.5 million.  40% tonHutchison = £600,000 then 20% to Boyle = £300,000.  

Boyle owed about £50,000. 

Hutchison owed about £800,000 - £200,000 = £600,000 at the moment. Potentially another £300,000 off that with the deal.  The club could be as little as £350,000 in debt at the moment in real terms. 

Let's call £500,000 for safety's sake.  Cadden and Kipre leaving us this summer would wipe that.

Interview with the bold Robbo here...

Signs off with "he has the best defensive record since the Alex McLeish era".

Wut?! Maybe I've totally mis-remembered the 90s but given the various posts on here the other week surely I'm can't be alone in not having "defensively sound" as a hallmark of McLeish's tenure.

FWIW: Robinson's record to date in all competitions is

P 50 W 23 D 7 L 20 
Win % = 46%

14 minutes ago, Desp said:

Must be the early part of the McLeish era when we finished 2nd with Shannon, McCart, Krivokapic, Martin and McKinnon as the Back 3 with wing-backs/Back 5.

That would actually make more sense if they're comparing the first 50 games or something like that?

Edit: just listened back again and as Desp says he probably means a specific season of the McLeish era. Genuinely quite surprised that you have to go as far back as that for our "best" defensive record (or maybe not, who knows).

Edited by capt_oats

42 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That would actually make more sense if they're comparing the first 50 games or something like that?

Edit: just listened back again and as Desp says he probably means a specific season of the McLeish era. Genuinely quite surprised that you have to go as far back as that for our "best" defensive record (or maybe not, who knows).

Would really depend over how many games they are comparing.  Not sure if they are meaning over a year, a season etc.

IIRC, Craig Brown's Motherwell side had seven or eight clean sheets in a row at one point (broken by Kris Boyd I believe in a 1-1 draw.  The game where Hateley scored a cracking free-kick for us).  He made us really hard to beat after the Gannon fiasco.

17 minutes ago, Desp said:

Would really depend over how many games they are comparing.  Not sure if they are meaning over a year, a season etc.

IIRC, Craig Brown's Motherwell side had seven or eight clean sheets in a row at one point (broken by Kris Boyd I believe in a 1-1 draw.  The game where Hateley scored a cracking free-kick for us). 

Is that the one where we scored a winner but it was disallowed because Ross Forbes was offside? Still boils my piss.

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Is that the one where we scored a winner but it was disallowed because Ross Forbes was offside? Still boils my piss.

Aye, and he wasn't offside. We were 1-0 up at the time and fairly comfortable but such was/is our luck in games against Rangers that we get decisions like that going against us before Reynolds inexplicably sold the jerseys for their late equaliser.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Must be the early part of the McLeish era when we finished 2nd with Shannon, McCart, Krivokapic, Martin and McKinnon as the Back 3 with wing-backs/Back 5.

If I remember correctly,  under McLeish in 1995/96 we actually had the third best defensive record in the league out with Celtic & Rangers. It was our inability to score that season that ultimately made us as shite as we were and we went something like eight games without a goal until Joe McLaughlin of Falkirk scored and own goal to give us our first goal and win in ages. I'm sure we had plenty of 0-0 draws that season as well as several one goal defeats. We were ravaged by injuries for most of that season with Tommy Coyne being the biggest loss and our then record signing Mitchel van Der Gaag being out from something like late August to February. 

We looked dead certs for the drop at Christmas time but then went on an unbeaten run from mid February to mid April where we had three or four 1-0 wins on the bounce. That coincided with Willie Falconer's signing as he bagged a good few, although after his penalty miss on his debut it looked for all the world as if we would never score again that season.