Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Sparra is joined by Head of Sport at the Herald and Times, Scott Mullen for a look back on the 1-0 defeat to Killie, preview the trip to Dens Park on Saturday, discuss the race for the top-six, the Scottish Cup quarter-final with Hearts and deliberate as to how to boost away crowds in the Scottish Premiership.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-25/

I don't see Cadden and Campbell getting call ups in the near future unless there's another of those mental free for all friendlies that made Steven Saunders and Craig Samson full internationalists. C&C are obviously much more deserving than those two but both are still a few years off for me.  

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I don't see Cadden and Campbell getting call ups in the near future unless there's another of those mental free for all friendlies that made Steven Saunders and Craig Samson full internationalists. C&C are obviously much more deserving than those two but both are still a few years off for me.  

By the looks of it, the summer friendlies will be the type you describe.  There seems to be a rebellion among senior Scotland players. It wouldn't shock me to see both Fletcher and Brown bail.  Add another couple of midfielders to that list and our boy's could be in the frame. 

My initial thought was...no chance but it really depends on what they’re planning with the squads. It all seems an absolute shitshow so I’m not sure how much they’ll have prepared. If they’re planning on allocating squad berths for “futures” players to get them involved then why not but I doubt they’d actually get any playing time.

It’s worth mentioning that our 20s were involved with the Scotland training sessions regularly when McGhee was part of the staff (and McCall I think). I’d imagine that hook-up would continue with McFadden.

I’m not sure if this was posted at the time but this was McFadden’s take on Campbell the other week:

It really depends on what sort of influence he’ll have (if any) with McLeish.

I posted in the Tartan Army section that I find McFadden’s proposed involvement with McLeish’s backroom staff pretty weird. Only last month he was in the press saying he had worked too hard to get in shape and regain fitness to think about a coaching pathway at the moment. Granted the offer from McLeish is going to be difficult to kb especially as he doesn’t have a club just now but even going back to his comments when he took the assistant job at FP he was clear that he had ambitions to continue playing.

Obviously the Scotland role will be less than part-time but it begs the question of where he goes from here. He certainly didn’t sound like he was ready to jack in playing when he was interviewed last month.

However in the event he did decide to focus on coaching full-time while Robinson clearly didn’t fancy him as an assistant would anyone rule out Hammell bringing him in as part of the Academy staff for Project Brave?

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

My initial thought was...no chance but it really depends on what they’re planning with the squads. It all seems an absolute shitshow so I’m not sure how much they’ll have prepared. If they’re planning on allocating squad berths for “futures” players to get them involved then why not but I doubt they’d actually get any playing time.

It’s worth mentioning that our 20s were involved with the Scotland training sessions regularly when McGhee was part of the staff (and McCall I think). I’d imagine that hook-up would continue with McFadden.

I’m not sure if this was posted at the time but this was McFadden’s take on Campbell the other week:

It really depends on what sort of influence he’ll have (if any) with McLeish.

I posted in the Tartan Army section that I find McFadden’s proposed involvement with McLeish’s backroom staff pretty weird. Only last month he was in the press saying he had worked too hard to get in shape and regain fitness to think about a coaching pathway at the moment. Granted the offer from McLeish is going to be difficult to kb especially as he doesn’t have a club just now but even going back to his comments when he took the assistant job at FP he was clear that he had ambitions to continue playing.

Obviously the Scotland role will be less than part-time but it begs the question of where he goes from here. He certainly didn’t sound like he was ready to jack in playing when he was interviewed last month.

However in the event he did decide to focus on coaching full-time while Robinson clearly didn’t fancy him as an assistant would anyone rule out Hammell bringing him in as part of the Academy staff for Project Brave?

I get the sense a lot with McFadden that he doesn't particularly know what he wants. He took the assistant manager job last season seemingly on a whim after one conversation with McGhee when he really wanted to keep playing, then a few weeks ago was desperate to go to America now he's apparently involved in the Scotland set up. 

Does McFadden have all of his coaching badges? 

It's a bit sad to see what's become of him, from sitting on the bench at Queen of the South to touting himself for a gig in America, and beyond, twice and getting absolutely hee-haw.

Like Yassin said, I don't think even Faddy knows what he wants.  It's also disappointing to see McLeish use McFadden as simply a crowd pleaser.  It's certainly not for his coaching ability (by all accounts, he has next to none) so it's purely for the benefit of the TA members not happy with the McLeish appointment.

46 minutes ago, Desp said:

Does McFadden have all of his coaching badges? 

It's a bit sad to see what's become of him, from sitting on the bench at Queen of the South to touting himself for a gig in America, and beyond, twice and getting absolutely hee-haw.

Like Yassin said, I don't think even Faddy knows what he wants.  It's also disappointing to see McLeish use McFadden as simply a crowd pleaser.  It's certainly not for his coaching ability (by all accounts, he has next to none) so it's purely for the benefit of the TA members not happy with the McLeish appointment.

He may well have his A or B licence by now but the Pro licence is a 20 month course according to the SFA breakdown: https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/football-development/coaching/coaching-pathway/main-youthadult-pathway/uefa-pro-licence/ so that seems unlikely.

There's a new intake every 2 years with the next one January 2019, which means the programme that's currently ongoing started January 2017. So at best, he's halfway through a Pro licence. IIRC when he took the assistant job with us in 2016 he pretty much said he hadn't even considered coaching in a formal sense at that point in his career.

I'm 100% not judging. Right now he's without a club and is being offered a job by the SFA so he'd be daft not to take it but I totally agree with you and Yassin he seems pretty conflicted.

Anybody know what the script is with Dunne’s contract?

I mind him saying around about November he was only a few games away from triggering an extension and I was fairly meh about it. However given his recent performances and his overall improvement over the last few months I’m fairly eager to get him signed up.

Can’t be many defenders with his pace kicking about, that recovery tackle he made 2nd half on Saturday after giving the boy a 5 yard head start was incredible. 

Also, am I right in thinking with Hartley now signed up it’s only really Dunne, Rose and Bowman from the regulars who are out of contract this summer?

38 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

that recovery tackle he made 2nd half on Saturday after giving the boy a 5 yard head start was incredible. 

Yep - and this is the very reason why it's worth putting up with some poor passing at times (and why he may well step up a level/be a saleable asset for us)

35 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Anybody know what the script is with Dunne’s contract?

I mind him saying around about November he was only a few games away from triggering an extension and I was fairly meh about it. However given his recent performances and his overall improvement over the last few months I’m fairly eager to get him signed up.

Can’t be many defenders with his pace kicking about, that recovery tackle he made 2nd half on Saturday after giving the boy a 5 yard head start was incredible. 

Also, am I right in thinking with Hartley now signed up it’s only really Dunne, Rose and Bowman from the regulars who are out of contract this summer?

From what I can tell, aye.

It actually seems to fit in with the chat around the end of November that we were in contract talks with 2 or 3 about extending deals. Clearly Hartley was one. I believe from the reports that came out of the AGM that Rose was another.

Acknowledging you've qualified the point with "regulars" our first team out of contracts are:

Griffiths
Plummer
Dunne
Grimshaw
Rose
Petravicius
Bowman
Newell

Loans:
Hendrie
Aldred
Ciftci

Given Rose's circumstances ie: new kid, wife is American, her side of the family is US based I'd imagine he'll be gone. I'd think he's still got a pretty decent rep over there from his time in Seattle and at 28 he's still got a good few years in his career. Also, given his father in law is Bob Bradley he should be pretty well connected in terms of getting hooked up with a club.

Us being linked with O'Hara from Dundee on a pre-contract during the window seemed a bit like for like.

Hopefully the Dunne extension is pretty straightforward.  I seem to recall it was largely in place because of his injury history and we were covering our arse on that front.

Bowman's really the only one I'd say there's a question mark over. Overall he's had a fairly shite time of it in terms of being marginalised a bit by McGhee and all the off the field stuff surrounding the Rangers semi-final and Rodgers comments. Even Robinson raised questions with his comments about his strikers through December.

As far as the loans go: I'd think we'd be looking to do the same with Aldred as we did with Hartley. Going by his send off from Bury fans I don't think they'll be welcoming him back with open arms once his loan's done.

Similarly it's been well documented Ciftci's got no future at Parkhead and Robinson's already been saying publicly that he'd love to have him at the club after a proper pre-season. I suppose that one depends on whether Lawwell had his nose put out of joint that we quite publicly kb'd Celtic's offer for Carson. Given the way it all played out in the end I doubt that's likely to be the case though.

Would agree with most of that Capt.

Would definitely offer Newell another year, think he’s got something about him.

Wouldn't be particularly sorry to see the back of Griffiths, Plummer, Grimshaw and Petravicius- don’t think they’ve contributed a great deal this season and wouldn’t really be missed. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

From what I can tell, aye.

It actually seems to fit in with the chat around the end of November that we were in contract talks with 2 or 3 about extending deals. Clearly Hartley was one. I believe from the reports that came out of the AGM that Rose was another.

Acknowledging you've qualified the point with "regulars" our first team out of contracts are:

Griffiths
Plummer
Dunne
Grimshaw
Rose
Petravicius
Bowman
Newell

Loans:
Hendrie
Aldred
Ciftci

Given Rose's circumstances ie: new kid, wife is American, her side of the family is US based I'd imagine he'll be gone. I'd think he's still got a pretty decent rep over there from his time in Seattle and at 28 he's still got a good few years in his career. Also, given his father in law is Bob Bradley he should be pretty well connected in terms of getting hooked up with a club.

Us being linked with O'Hara from Dundee on a pre-contract during the window seemed a bit like for like.

Hopefully the Dunne extension is pretty straightforward.  I seem to recall it was largely in place because of his injury history and we were covering our arse on that front.

Bowman's really the only one I'd say there's a question mark over. Overall he's had a fairly shite time of it in terms of being marginalised a bit by McGhee and all the off the field stuff surrounding the Rangers semi-final and Rodgers comments. Even Robinson raised questions with his comments about his strikers through December.

As far as the loans go: I'd think we'd be looking to do the same with Aldred as we did with Hartley. Going by his send off from Bury fans I don't think they'll be welcoming him back with open arms once his loan's done.

Similarly it's been well documented Ciftci's got no future at Parkhead and Robinson's already been saying publicly that he'd love to have him at the club after a proper pre-season. I suppose that one depends on whether Lawwell had his nose put out of joint that we quite publicly kb'd Celtic's offer for Carson. Given the way it all played out in the end I doubt that's likely to be the case though.

Getting the core of the team under contract would be great, as would converting a couple of loans into permanent deals - but I guess there will still be a fairly large turnover as I'd assume we'll be open to offers on the likes of Cadden & Kipre....

1 minute ago, Casagolda said:

Would agree with most of that Capt.

Would definitely offer Newell another year, think he’s got something about him.

Wouldn't be particularly sorry to see the back of Griffiths, Plummer, Grimshaw and Petravicius- don’t think they’ve contributed a great deal this season and wouldn’t really be missed. 

I'm inclined to agree. I don't think any of them have been disasters. They were signed as cover and largely they've been exactly that. Griffiths kept a clean sheet against County with a first choice outfield 10 in front of him but was really shown up through December.

Petravicius always seemed a bit of a weird signing in so much as he's clearly a winger yet by and large we play with wing backs. I'm guessing with his pace we decided to take a punt on the off chance he could show some promise as a striker with his pace.

The video doing the rounds on Twitter from the SPFL account of Grimshaw getting absolutely rinsed by Jones is unfortunate for him.

Plummer's signing, for me, was largely expedited by Hammell's injury and for the most part we've been able to get away without him being required with either Dunne, Hammell or Hartley having been ahead of him on the left side.

Fwiw: any time I saw him play for the 20s he looked decent enough. Strong, quick, physical and read the game well.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Griffiths - On yer way
Plummer - On yer way
Dunne - Would be happy for him to stay, but I wouldn't want us being held to ransom.  Yes, he's playing well at the moment but you'd still argue he's our 4th best defender behind Kipre, Hartley & Aldred.
Grimshaw - On yer way
Rose - Again, would be happy for him to stay, but think he'll be off to America with the family.
Petravicius - I think this c*nt won a raffle to get a contract a year.  I remain to be convinced he's actually a footballer.  Get him oot the door.
Bowman - I like the big man.  I even liked him last season when most had him down as a flop.  I just felt he needed the chance, we he then got with Moult and it paid off for us.  Sadly, the Rangers thing seems to have killed it for him.  Happy for him to stay, but for his own sake I think he needs to get out of Scotland and give England another bash.
Newell - Nah, not for me.  Made of glass, and we can't really afford to be carrying passengers.  Move him on.

Loans:
Hendrie - Will head back south. Think he's here to warm the bench.
Aldred - Hopefully we can sort something with him to stay for another year or two.
Ciftci - As much as I'd like him to sign permanently, I can't see us meeting either a) the transfer fee (Celtic don't give you anything for free) or b) his wages.

Has the potential to be another busy summer at Fir Park.

I spoke to the chief scout earlier this season and he said we wont be having another summer of seeing 17 players in and out as that would be suicidal for the club and most likely put us in relegation trouble, We only did that last summer out of necessity as the whole club needed a change in direction with Robinson feeling we lacked energy and pace while bringing the average of squad down.   I would imagine 4/5 at the very most going out and the same number coming in plus we have the likes of Barry Maguire, David Turnbull knocking on the door of the 1st team from the under 20s.

12 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

I spoke to the chief scout earlier this season and he said we wont be having another summer of seeing 17 players in and out as that would be suicidal for the club and most likely put us in relegation trouble, We only did that last summer out of necessity as the whole club needed a change in direction with Robinson feeling we lacked energy and pace while bringing the average of squad down.   I would imagine 4/5 at the very most going out and the same number coming in plus we have the likes of Barry Maguire, David Turnbull knocking on the door of the 1st team from the under 20s.

The difference this year is that we are likely to lose crucial, difficult to replace players - Cadden, Kipre & Carson at least.  We didn't have many crucial players at the end of last season, Cadden likely to have been the only one who deserved that tag. 

Losing this manager would be a calamity. 

3 hours ago, WellView said:

The difference this year is that we are likely to lose crucial, difficult to replace players - Cadden, Kipre & Carson at least.  We didn't have many crucial players at the end of last season, Cadden likely to have been the only one who deserved that tag. 

Losing this manager would be a calamity. 

That's certainly possible, however if that is the case then it will be a very lucrative summer for us as it would take fairly big money to part with any of them.