Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Swello said:

As a (clueless) supporter - I've watched a lot of keepers over the years for us. When I see Carson - weak at "shot stopping" isn't really what springs to mind. 

Its a weird stat, and I do my best to try and get my dumb brain around advanced stats, but when ones like this appear that are just plainly weighted junk, I struggle to judge the value.

Carson makes few mistakes, and has made some huge saves for us. Saturday was a perfect example of his value, as while he didn't have a lot to do, and yer man Moussa is absolutely humpty, he made a big save, and we scored minutes later. Huge.

11 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Its a weird stat, and I do my best to try and get my dumb brain around advanced stats, but when ones like this appear that are just plainly weighted junk, I struggle to judge the value.

Carson makes few mistakes, and has made some huge saves for us. Saturday was a perfect example of his value, as while he didn't have a lot to do, and yer man Moussa is absolutely humpty, he made a big save, and we scored minutes later. Huge.

If a Celtic fan is presenting stats, ignore them. There's one out there who claimed Bain is the best keeper in the league, and who claim Jack Hendry completes the most dribbles per game in the league. 

They'll create any stat to twist it to what they want, which is to play up to the myth Rodgers always makes good signings, the realisation he panic signed a shite keeper is unthinkable. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

I declare this season a success.

Yet we still had a 'Robinson Out' thread on Steelmen Online...

Although we are 6th at the moment, finishing in the top half will be a big ask considering the fixtures we have up until the split.  Still, even if we finish 8th or 9th, with a League Cup Final and Scottish Cup Quarter Final (at least), that's a good season in my book when you consider the shambles we were at the end of last season and the high player turnover in the summer.

Throw in the money we've made from the cup runs, the sell-on from Marvin Johnson and the fee for Louis Moult, we're sitting pretty.  We've also arguably got three very decent young sellable assets in Kipré, Cadden & Campbell.

Finally, following the success of the #Pete6 video, I'd like to think our next sponsorship deal will be that little bit more lucrative, probably with the Chilean version of Cash Converters.

Edited by Desp

My main problem with the "expectations for the season" type threads is that the very same people who (reasonably given our budget) say "avoid relegation", "10th place" or "a mid-table finish" have a vast fucking meltdown and want the manager, the players, the CEO and the Kitman hunted because we don't win for a month.

What do people think a mid-table season looks like, never mind a 10th place finish? You're going to lose a lot of games and have spells in the season where you are shite - if you avoid those things, you're looking at some season and being back where McCall had us.....

There should be a "the unrealistic expectations you have and are scared to mention" thread.

Edited by Swello

As far as stats go I remember an old lecturer telling us that 10% of all car accidents are caused by drunk drivers which means 90% are caused by sober ones.

So always drive  when you're drunk and you 've less chance of having one.

Moral of the story?  Stats can be manipulated to prove anything 

6 minutes ago, WellView said:

With the retirement of Hammell, that means we have no players aged thirty or older at our club?   We must be heading for the youngest average age in the league this year. 

Until the 5th March and 3rd April when Carson and Hartley turn 30.

If you go by Transfermarkt's averages then yeah, we've got the youngest at 24.4: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premiership/startseite/wettbewerb/SC1

Edited by capt_oats

56 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Until the 5th March and 3rd April when Carson and Hartley turn 30.

If you go by Transfermarkt's averages then yeah, we've got the youngest at 24.4: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premiership/startseite/wettbewerb/SC1

Excellent stuff, and what a change from the previous parade of geriatrics.  

Edited by WellView

11 minutes ago, WellView said:

Excellent stuff, and what a change from the previous parade of geriatrics.  

While I agree it's great to have a younger squad (I think we were far too loyal to a fair number of the last few seasons), it's a test of the fanbase too.  With younger players comes greater inconsistencies.  As I said earlier in the thread, there was a "Robinson Out" thread on SO after we went seven or eight games without a win.

There's folk out there who were going ballistic at us resigning a number of players in our 30s a season or so ago, arguing for youth to be given a chance.  Nowadays, they wanted Kipré benched after a small dip in form and want the manager bulleted after his young team are knackered and lose a few on the spin.

To summarise, there's a fair percentage of Motherwell fans who are absolute morons. 

Edited by Desp

36 minutes ago, Desp said:

To summarise, there's a fair percentage of Motherwell fans who are absolute morons. 

I am fairly certain that is not just restricted to Motherwell. Have you seen the boy Sawyers at Killie !

There are more sensible posters on here (with the odd exception) than on Steelmen Online, but that may have something to do with the fact there are less of them.  You know on that site there are 5 or 6 posters who regardless if we won the Champions League would be bitching about something or other.

Most sensible Well fans know that based on budget, history and squad anything above 9th in the league ought not to be unacceptable. The fact we are and have been routinely above that level suggest we have done well with our resources. Dependant on the luck of the draw quarter finals of cups should be the benchmark. Not obviously if you are unlucky to get Celtic in 1st round proper. 

If the season stopped now it would be a great success. 6th - a cup final - a cup 1/4 final. 

I do suspect that we will finish bottom 6 just and the tie v Hearts is very much in the balance. Truth is getting to semi finals of the cup would likely be more lucrative than finishing 6th given we would be due to play Old firm away twice post split. Say if Dundee/Partick were at Fir Park post split needing a win or point to avoid play off / relegation  both clubs would bring a very decent crowd. 

Edited by welldaft

59 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I do suspect that we will finish bottom 6 just and the tie v Hearts is very much in the balance. Truth is getting to semi finals of the cup would likely be more lucrative than finishing 6th given we would be due to play Old firm away twice post split. Say if Dundee/Partick were at Fir Park post split needing a win or point to avoid play off / relegation  both clubs would bring a very decent crowd. 

Funny you say that as I had exactly the same thought yesterday and had a quick look.

Assuming the distribution is roughly the same as last year 6th received £1,375,000 while 9th received £1,155,000 so a difference of £220,000. Obviously £220,000 extra in prize money is a decent amount and we'd gladly take it but you'd think that even the cash made from the LC final never mind a SC semi-final would mitigate a bottom 6 finish to an extent.

Fucking TV!! 

It's a better time than a lunchtime kick off on either day but still, a 3pm Saturday kick off would have been so much better for this tie.

Plus our record on TV games at Fir Park is awful, especially in the Scottish Cup.