Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

It's my opinion that the Well society/WS board have no influence what so ever at the club.

I wouldn't quite say no influence but they have almost nothing to do with the day to day and nor should they - even the club board don't (or shouldn't) have that.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I wouldn't quite say no influence but they have almost nothing to do with the day to day and nor should they -

I agree. But I still say they have no influence at all. Unless they are invited to float opinions that are often passed over anyway.

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I agree. But I still say they have no influence at all. Unless they are invited to float opinions that are often passed over anyway.

Opinions such as?

They will give, as these people are there to do, frustratingly vague strategic goals such as 'put the club at the centre of the community', which the underlings then try to implement.

The society owns the club because there's no alternative and the society board is a backstop to the club board to prevent total negligence - of the sort that goes way beyond picking a bad manager or having a shite team.

I don't know what other sort of influence you think they could have.

Finding myself struggling to watch other games of Fitba today. Jealousy I think of seeing other teams playing attacking Fitba and players looking like they give a shit.

This Motherwell team for over a year, small patch exception,  now really have drained my love of this game. 

9 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Opinions such as?

They will give, as these people are there to do, frustratingly vague strategic goals such as 'put the club at the centre of the community', which the underlings then try to implement.

The society owns the club because there's no alternative and the society board is a backstop to the club board to prevent total negligence - of the sort that goes way beyond picking a bad manager or having a shite team.

I don't know what other sort of influence you think they could have.

If WS board members followed then will of the vast majority of their membership then they would be two votes for removal. However they don’t. They’re there to keep an illusion of involvement and steering, but the reality as Busta says is zero. Yes men of the highest order.

When you think about it, you could write a book or have a documentary made about all the stuff that's gone wrong this season for us. There's probably more but the standouts:

1. We qualify for Europe with only 3 wins in 17 games and a goal difference ranked 10th in the division.

2. We bring out a kit commemorating a design we wore in a previous relegation.

3. We strip SOD of being the captain, but try to sweep it under the carpet by not announcing it all.

4. We only play two friendlies in preparation for our European campaign.

5. We get beaten home and away by a LOI team and bin our manager.

6. We lose Jake Carroll to injury for the season, the day before the league campaign starts (I know some may make a case for this not having much of an effect)

7. We start the league campaign with a caretaker manager.

8. We publicly declare that we want to sign Robert Snodgrass and allow Hearts to snoop in and offer him more than we did.

9. We bring back two former players on loan as marquee signings, both of whom end up crocked after one start between them.

10. Having barely been able to fill the squad, the World Cup break comes at a great time for us, only for us to have a month off and return with more injuries.

11. The pipes bursting in the stadium preventing us from playing our first game back after the World Cup.

12. Finally playing again the following week and taking a two goal lead, then conceding a late equaliser to a disgruntled former player after Killie had gone down to 10 men at 2-0.

13. Signing a player to replace one of the aforementioned crocked marquee signings, only for he himself to be crocked after one start.

14. The CEO resigning

15. Playing a back four with three right backs in it for most of the first half against St. Johnstone.

That all does seem like the perfect storm for a season with a bad ending.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

When you think about it, you could write a book or have a documentary made about all the stuff that's gone wrong this season for us. There's probably more but the standouts:

1. We qualify for Europe with only 3 wins in 17 games and a goal difference ranked 10th in the division.

2. We bring out a kit commemorating a design we wore in a previous relegation.

3. We strip SOD of being the captain, but try to sweep it under the carpet by not announcing it all.

4. We only play two friendlies in preparation for our European campaign.

5. We get beaten home and away by a LOI team and bin our manager.

6. We lose Jake Carroll to injury for the season, the day before the league campaign starts (I know some may make a case for this not having much of an effect)

7. We start the league campaign with a caretaker manager.

8. We publicly declare that we want to sign Robert Snodgrass and allow Hearts to snoop in and offer him more than we did.

9. We bring back two former players on loan as marquee signings, both of whom end up crocked after one start between them.

10. Having barely been able to fill the squad, the World Cup break comes at a great time for us, only for us to have a month off and return with more injuries.

11. The pipes bursting in the stadium preventing us from playing our first game back after the World Cup.

12. Finally playing again the following week and taking a two goal lead, then conceding a late equaliser to a disgruntled former player after Killie had gone down to 10 men at 2-0.

13. Signing a player to replace one of the aforementioned crocked marquee signings, only for he himself to be crocked after one start.

14. The CEO resigning

15. Playing a back four with three right backs in it for most of the first half against St. Johnstone.

That all does seem like the perfect storm for a season with a bad ending.

You've forgotten Lamie signing a pre contract with Dundee, only to weasel out of it because they went down, then for him to not only convince us he’s worth keeping but also make him vice captain and the central figure in our fucking rancid defence.

6 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

You've forgotten Lamie signing a pre contract with Dundee, only to weasel out of it because they went down, then for him to not only convince us he’s worth keeping but also make him vice captain and the central figure in our fucking rancid defence.

There's probably loads to add.

But not only did we in essence go all out to give Lamie, a centre back, a new contract based heavily on two goals that he scored, we then went out and signed another centre back, who caught our eye scoring the self-proclaimed only free-kick he's ever scored.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

1 minute ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

There's probably loads to add.

But not only did we in essence go all out to give Lamie, a centre back, a new contract based heavily on two goals that he scored, we then went out and signed another centre back, who caught our eye scoring the self-proclaimed only free-kick he's ever scored.

Who, again, ended up injured after no time at all. What the f**k are we doing man. 

15 minutes ago, Swello said:

Both are missing.

Players should always take responsibility for their own efforts and professional pride. 

But when collectively they appear to be failing and standards dropping that has to be on the Manager / Management team. 

I hope the Board are meeting today to discuss what has been going on and to reach a decision one way or another. Either back him with reasons why or take the difficult decision it is not working and try to find a solution that will. I want the latter to happen unfortunately.

Silence is not going to go down well with the fans. 

Just now, welldaft said:

Players should always take responsibility for their own efforts and professional pride. 

But when collectively they appear to be failing and standards dropping that has to be on the Manager / Management team. 

I hope the Board are meeting today to discuss what has been going on and to reach a decision one way or another. Either back him with reasons why or take the difficult decision it is not working and try to find a solution that will. I want the latter to happen unfortunately.

Silence is not going to go down well with the fans. 

Buckle up for the update on YouTube later. 

"Wasn't what we deserved..." 3 minute montage of us falling over. 

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

I feel sorry for the media guys during these runs but in any case, I'm going to go with "got to do more" for today's twitter rage-bait.

To be fair to the meedja boys they are being slightly more honest with their reporting.

The official report after the St Johnstone game was critical of the team/management. It certainly did not hold back, big scary words like disjointed, insipid, out of sorts….