Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

You find me a post of you criticising Hammy and no mention of Kerr, you're handy using the search tool.

It's possible to mention both Hammell and Kerr in criticism without it mitigating Hammell's responsibility.

Like I say though, you crack on. :lol:

Edited by capt_oats

23 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

How did we actually get on today? Any highlights out of the 17 that got minutes?

Compared to Wednesday there was a bit more effort and there also weren't as many ridiculous individual errors. Obika won quite a few of the (many) punts up the park and I thought looked mostly strong and composed on the ball. He was pretty ineffective though as it looks like we don't have a game plan, especially going forward. To be honest, the whole performance was meh. Beige. No identity, no plan, no creativity. Lots of punts to someone somewhere to try do something, and it inevitably turns into nothing.  

Also, their keeper didn't have a save to make apart from the penalty. And Aberdeen's fourth goal probably should've stood. 

We planned to keep it to 0-0 for about 60 mins then bring on the cavalry. We fucked that when we gifted them a goal on 40 mins, but still tried the same thing anyway. 

Aberdeens fourth was totally a foul, the guy was pulling Mcginn by the shirt.

Edited by rowsdower

He won’t go before he gets to use his two latest assets.  If he loses in the cup he goes, if not but loses to St Mirren then it will be hard for him to be kept on.

However, has he been thrown under the bus by the board?  If he went into January saying he needed a central defender and a defensive midfielder and they took to the week after the slam to provide them then there is blame to share around.

Today was better than Wednesday, that was a capitulation, today we were outplayed. We again lost poor goals but we have no coordination in attack.  We don’t even have speculative shots.  We have nothing. Maybe Mandron was the answer but we seem to have lost him, as we did with Moult.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

He won’t go before he gets to use his two latest assets.  If he loses in the cup he goes, if not but loses to St Mirren then it will be hard for him to be kept on.

Biggest dilemma will be if we get past Raith and get a point at St Mirren with an okay performance. I've got the fear that we'll improve just enough to pick up occasional points, enough to keep Hammell in the job in the hope it's the start of the turnaround, but not actually enough to avoid the drop. 

1 minute ago, CoF said:

Biggest dilemma will be if we get past Raith and get a point at St Mirren with an okay performance. I've got the fear that we'll improve just enough to pick up occasional points, enough to keep Hammell in the job in the hope it's the start of the turnaround, but not actually enough to avoid the drop. 

Aye, that would be very dangerous ground. The odd point here and there, just rolling on whilst the weeks run out and praying it eventually clicks will only end in tears. If they're going to continue with him, very strict goals need to be set  and distinct lines in the sand need to be drawn. Still think his tea's oot though. Anyone and anywhere else, and you're calling it untenable already.

35 minutes ago, ropy said:

However, has he been thrown under the bus by the board?  If he went into January saying he needed a central defender and a defensive midfielder and they took to the week after the slam to provide them then there is blame to share around.

I don't think you can reasonably say that sanctioning the signing of *checks notes* 9 (NINE) players is the board throwing Hammell under a bus. Regardless of the timing.

Deals take as long as they take.

Maybe we'd spoken to CDs and DMs in the weeks before the window opened trying to get them done early but the players chose to go elsewhere. Maybe they didn't like the pitch Hammell and the recruitment team were making.

I think he admitted himself at various points through January that they thought they had deals done but they fell down.

Ultimately recruitment is part of Hammell's remit and he should be judged on it.

Sidebar: talking about remits - a lot was made of Alexander hitting his KPIs as part of the reason why the board stuck with him. Which is fair enough.

Presumably the development of players is within Hammell's purview. How many players can we honestly say have either developed or improved in a positive way compared to where they were even in the last game at Pittodrie? None?

You can point to the results and form not being good enough but he's failing at the other stuff too.

Edited by capt_oats

I know this shouldn’t come as a surprise since we had two full backs playing centre half but the goals we concede today are again laughable.

Duk (just like Nisbet a few weeks ago) doesn’t even need to work to gain yards of free space on edge of 6 yard box. Easy unopposed nod into the net. 

Slattery yet again loses possession in a key area and big SOD doesn’t have a clue where he or his man is as the ball is played into the box to be slotted past Kelly for the second. 

Their 3rd, it’s McGinn this time who has no idea what he’s doing and chooses to pass the buck and blame young Furlong. These “experienced” heads need to get a grip soon or they can get to f*ck. I’d play Dunachie and Casey. Impossible they could be any worse. 

Hammell clearly ditched his so called passing/possession style today and tried to lob balls up to Obika from the off. To go with 3 at the back on today of all days was desperation. I like others find it hard to call for his head but we need to change now while someone else can come in while we are still within the relegation pack. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Really do not understand why the media team are still putting out this dross, week after week. Who is this for exactly?

Listen, fronting up is important. They're controlling the narrative that's out there about us being absolutely howling.

I know 'Well fans will have more to worry about, but got a question for you. Did Motherwell 'officially' win the Copa Del Rey in the 20's? I know it's in the trophy room and you beat Real Madrid in 1927 but when I checked Wiki it has another match as the final. Was it a special match rather than the actual Copa del Rey final for that year then? Why is it not listed in Motherwell's honours?

2 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

I know 'Well fans will have more to worry about, but got a question for you. Did Motherwell 'officially' win the Copa Del Rey in the 20's? I know it's in the trophy room and you beat Real Madrid in 1927 but when I checked Wiki it has another match as the final. Was it a special match rather than the actual Copa del Rey final for that year then? Why is it not listed in Motherwell's honours?

I think we're all admiring the irony of that post to be fair, may take a while to come back to you

7 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Are you trying to insinuate that Motherwell 'officially' claiming the Copa Del Rey is akin to *Rangers putting their name on '55'?

How very dare you.

4 minutes ago, GroundHoppingBear said:

Not at all, going over to Spain and stealing the Copa del Rey for no apparent reason is much worse.

No theft involved, definitely a victory of some sort there for Lanarkshire's finest.

Identity theft in assuming the name of a similarly named previous entity, and laying claim to their dubious and financially doped honours is where real shady and underhand dealings lie.

😁