Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I'm not against the Obika signing but if Mandron is out for a few weeks it seems a bit like overkill for me.

Don't get me wrong, if we sign Obika with a CB & CDM I'll be happy but I'm starting to worry that the midfield will be getting ignored.

Flow said there is more business to come. Just wont be announced until today. Presumably because it was too late at night to get the player(s) up here and in a Well shirt for the photo shoot.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

7 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I'm not against the Obika signing but if Mandron is out for a few weeks it seems a bit like overkill for me.

Tbf, as others have said reading between the lines it suggests we're looking at a change of shape so in that respect having KVV, Obika, Aitchison and Mandron is fine if we're going with 2 strikers (or KVV playing as a #10/SS off a big man).

Also, the fact we've effectively run KVV into the ground and consistently asked him to play through injuries in the time he's been at the club means having a couple of options (who aren't Connor Shields) isn't the worst position to be in.

As @joewarkfanclub says the chat from Burrows at the moment seems to be that there are still more to come in, as in more than one.

Motherwell thread deep in discussions about whether we've enough to avoid relegation and St Mirren thread in discussions about whether Tony Watt might help them in a push for a European slot.

1620642812_giphy(1).gif.065dc803744075e86235c73611963b43.gif

Edited by Blink182
Spelling!

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I can't believe we appear to be ready to go with the same midfield we have had issues with since Allan Campbell left. 

I appreciate we are all hoping for a defensive midfielder. That might yet happen. But Id be surprised if Danzaki doesnt start tonight.

How about we drop Goss and go with Cornelius and Slattery in behind?

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I appreciate we are all hoping for a defensive midfielder. That might yet happen. But Id be surprised if Danzaki doesnt start tonight.

I kind of wondered if signing Danzaki a natural CAM would give us the balance we all hoped for?

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I'm not convinced either can tackle well enough.

I do agree though, the Goss and Slattery partnership can't continue. I'd be in favour of Cornelius coming in if we don't bring anyone else in.

Anything to get Goss out of the team, Slattery has been garbage for a while as well but he is the lesser of two evils IMO

18 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I can't believe we appear to be ready to go with the same midfield we have had issues with since Allan Campbell left. 

Also by the seasons end we could be watching a central defence of Mugabi and Lamie again…..

19 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

I'm not convinced either can tackle well enough.

I do agree though, the Goss and Slattery partnership can't continue. I'd be in favour of Cornelius coming in if we don't bring anyone else in.

Anything to get Goss out of the team, Slattery has been garbage for a while as well but he is the lesser of two evils IMO

Slattery would benefit from a pure CDM beside him. He gives the ball away a lot but that's because he takes risks with forward passes that others don't. In the absence of a new signing Cornelius probably best for CDM. Lennon Miller potentially could play there too but that carries risk

35 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I might be way off base here but Obika always seemed to me like the sort of character that could drag St Mirren through games which is something we've been sorely lacking, even if he's more limited technically than KVV.

He's definitely not the technical type. He's just a big physical presence up front. His goal record isn't particularly remarkable, but he had a knack of popping up with important goals in big games for us. He should be a good solid 7/10 in just about every game.

Looking at the Motherwell squad, you guys seem so short-handed defensively. I can't believe how few actual defenders are in that team. Whilst there seems to be good players in amongst that squad, it's so unbalanced it's unreal.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

34 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I might be way off base here but Obika always seemed to me like the sort of character that could drag St Mirren through games which is something we've been sorely lacking, even if he's more limited technically than KVV.

Not sure about that tbh, I'd say he's a reasonably decent penalty box striker at this level. He's not hugely effective round the park, nor is he a particularly imposing target man. At least half your fans will fucking hate him for not running around enough.

I mean, if you're able to set aside the type of goals we concede and just look at the amount, then we're weirdly fine at the back.

If our goals for column was as healthy as it should be then I genuinely don't think the goals against column would be concerning anyone.

Maybe our approach to the window has been right after all 🤔

Nobody in Paisley will have a bad word to say about big Jon because of his winner against Hearts in the last game of the Covid season But…it’s unlikely he’s become faster or more mobile during his time at Morecambe. Neither is it likely he’s learned how to jump or win a tackle. Goodwin said he was “too nice” to be a centre forward. Lovely big guy but…

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

I mean - this puts some things in perspective and underlines just how dire our squad situation was (and that's with at least 1 still to come). 

Obviously no panic at Killie, Saintees or Utd....

It remains to be seen how much impact any of our signings will make, but these numbers could be telling.

United have some quality in their squad but Killie and St Johnstone are taking a big gamble.

Livvy too havent done any real business, although they should have enough points in the bank already to cover any possible slide in form.

Could be an interesting 2nd half of the season.