Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 hours ago, well fan for life said:

FWIW I don't think there's a chance we'll sack Hammell but this run should be sacking material. But the fact we're now 2 days away from the window slamming shut and have done nothing at all to sort out the left back situation or the colossal gap in front of the already horseshit defence is concerning. Unless we pull off a miracle in the transfer market we're 100% crashing straight into the Championship. 

The more I've thought about it I'm less certain of that than I was.

No doubt it's probably a more awkward conversation because of who he is and the circumstances around how he got the job but equally one of the things we've generally been good at is being willing to pull the trigger.

Hence the whole 38 consecutive years as a top flight team thing.

Ultimately the difference between this run Hammell is on and the run we saw from Alexander last year is that one is going to get us relegated if it continues and the other didn't - like it or not we were a Top 6 side the majority of last season.

The question is whether the issue now is that we're a poorly coached team and someone else could get a better tune out the squad (probably?) along with whether there's an obvious candidate who'd parachute in with the minimum of fuss and take on a "save our season" brief.

Edited by capt_oats

There's no doubt that Stevie Hammell was dealt a shitty hand when he took on the job.  The state of the squad left by Alexander was an utter sham and there's every chance we'll reap the rewards of that for years to come.

However, you can still bluff your way to positive result, even with a shitty hand, from time to time.  Hammell has not done that once.  He's played the same shitty hand the same shitty way week after week and it appears he's not learned a thing.

I've said it elsewhere, I'd love to go and watch a few of his training sessions because six months in I've not got a fucking clue what the plan seems to be.  Do any of the players get coached?  Not one single player has improved under his leadership. Zero!  The list of players who've gotten worse is as long as your arm.

I loved Stevie Hammell as a player, but the fact is that if he'd played 500+ games for Kilmarnock or St. Johnstone, instead of Motherwell, we'd have pulled the trigger already. 

I haven't seen a 20 year golden reputation be burned this quickly since Ryan Giggs' private life became public knowledge!

The thing is we did see an immediate improvement in both performance and results when Stevie took over.

And even when results started to go against us we still saw what imho were very good performances. Such as the ones at home v Hearts and United back to back. Even more recently we outplayed Kilmarnock at home for 2/3rds of the game before our customary shitting the bed kicked into gear. 

We beat Arbroath relatively easily at what would have been considered a difficult tie and venue. Did they not just beat Morton away this weekend. That and we have struggled over many years to beat lower league opposition in the cups. 

So there are / were positives and when you throw into the mix his career with us. You can understand him getting some leeway. 

However I have said it before and will again. If we lose against St Johnstone this midweek I think we need to move quickly. The positives above are being eroded. Performances are not like they were earlier in the season even when we were losing. If you are 1-0 down to St Mirren after a long line of poor league results and there is no sense of urgency then that has to fall back to the Manager. Does anyone genuinely not think that if we are 1-0 up v St Johnstone or any team for that matter the last 10-15 minutes will be like the Alamo. 

I doubt the club will move him on should we lose this midweek, but as most mention doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results does not generally end well. 

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

If you believe someone who subscribes to Twitter Blue we're interested anaw.

If this is remotely true then I am gonna explode. Nothing to do with Watt but the fact we're after another attacker meanwhile everyone can see where the issues lie.

Watt is a snakey wee cockend though.

Immediately take him, tbh.

I appreciate the issues with the defence and midfield, but given that we're losing every game by a goal and drawing the rest, maybe we just fuckin score some goals. 

"Fraz Fletcher" is as connected as a dial up modem tbf so I wouldn't think too hard about it.

Edited by thisGRAEME

I wasn’t keen on Hammell taking the job from his point of view, giving up a job for life and moving into a role with a shelf life of typically two years at best.  I thought he could take the experience of the interim role which may have lasted up to 4 games then he would get the same opportunity a couple of years down the line when he would have been more prepared for it.

In saying that I don’t like to see Motherwell managers sacked.  I have looked at many games and thought how could Hammell legislate for that. Most of the mistakes are made on the park.  Players will dictate a manager’s success, look at Aberdeen.

I think he should only get one attempt at bringing us back up from the Championship though.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't think there's a prayer Watt will come back to us but on the basis it's fun to speculate, I'd take him in an instant.

Agreed. He took and still takes some stick from the fans for leaving. I would guess that would feature heavily in any decision. That being said Watt does seem a bit dim or has a carefree attitude so 🤷‍♂️

What are the odds he joins St Johnstone and starts against us this week !!

Surely won't happen with Watt. Last I saw he was being linked with clubs down south (Salford?) and Belgium. Would 100% take him back though, he was carrying a shite team before he left and if we could move Shields on as has been rumoured, he'd be a good replacement. 

Having said that, a proper tackling midfield player is the priority. If missing out on Watt means we could offer a bit more for a potential midfielder, wouldn't even think twice about it.